Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,173,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
In my opinion:

Overrated:

Bangkok
Pattaya, Thailand
Phuket (nice, but the beaches are spoilt by tourist's)
Nha Trang and surrounds, Vietnam
Parts of Laos and Cambodia
Halong Bay, Vietnam
Yangshao-Guilin region, China
Great Wall of China, China
Bali - mostly the touristy spots, Indonesia
Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Doha
Antalya, Turkey

Underrated:

Yunnan Province, China
Hoi An, Vietnam
Central Highlands, Vietnam
Penang, Malaysia - better than Phuket for culture
East Malaysia/North Borneo, better beaches than Thailand and better wildlife by far
Much of China in general
Hainan Island, China
South Korea
Most of the Philippines
Sumatra and Borneo
Eastern Turkey
Most of India
Sri Lanka
Myanmar
Central Asia
Iran

Appropriately rated:

Singapore
Chiang Mai
Shanghai
Tokyo
Kyoto and the rest of Honshu
Most of Malaysia, inc. KL
Hong Kong, although overrated in some aspects
So subjective. I don't know Antalya in Turkey to see it's overrated.

I also think that everywhere has its beautiful things, so you can't really say there is anywhere that isn't worth going to.

Also, in general, I've found that underrated places, once you go there, do somewhat deserve to be underrated. But by no means should they be dismissed at all. As they will have a lot to offer as well, which I guess is why they are rated as underrated.

BALI for example. I avoided going there for years as I heard it was very overrated. I finally went there, and loved it. I didn't want to leave. Has a ton to offer in a very manageably small island. Loved it. Of course, if I would have only stayed in Kuta Beach the entire time, I might have missed most of it, but I did get around, so I did get to see a lot of it.

I would definitely have to say that the Philippines are way underrated. I think it's so funny when people post photos of these amazing islands and beaches in French Polynesia or somewhere (with hotels for 1000's of dollars), when you can get the same things in the Philippines for 1/10th of the price.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:55 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I also think that everywhere has its beautiful things, so you can't really say there is anywhere that isn't worth going to.

Also, in general, I've found that underrated places, once you go there, do somewhat deserve to be underrated. But by no means should they be dismissed at all. As they will have a lot to offer as well, which I guess is why they are rated as underrated.

BALI for example. I avoided going there for years as I heard it was very overrated. I finally went there, and loved it. I didn't want to leave. Has a ton to offer in a very manageably small island. Loved it. Of course, if I would have only stayed in Kuta Beach the entire time, I might have missed most of it, but I did get around, so I did get to see a lot of it.

I would definitely have to say that the Philippines are way underrated. I think it's so funny when people post photos of these amazing islands and beaches in French Polynesia or somewhere (with hotels for 1000's of dollars), when you can get the same things in the Philippines for 1/10th of the price.
That's a good point. How people perceive a destination is often through the lens of the typical visitor's experience to a place. For example, most people who go to Bali hang out at Kuta, most who go to Phuket go to Patong Beach, when this is just one experience of going to either destination. If you venture throughout the island you can have a great time, not defined by ladyboys or smut. Bali is largely enough to escape drunken Aussie tourists.

I didn't see any major downsides to Taiwan, more in the sense that China is larger and far more fascinating for history. Only armchair anthropologists seem to have any great interest in the aboriginal cultures of Asia (which is sad) as Taiwan's aborigines are possibly one of the least known groups in Asia. I think Taiwan is seen as more a colony of Han China with a 'short' history. It's oldest buildings are aboriginal huts, but in terms of Chinese buildings the oldest temples are barely 250 years old. It has a similar vintage to Australia, and a similar population in an area half the size of Tasmania. In fact Taiwan's density is many times that of China or even Japan.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:27 AM

5 posts, read 59,857 times
Bangkok is extremely overrated. I agree that south korea is underrated. Maybe because there's the two big countries: japan and china? And also maybe because of North korean threats which foreigners might think South korea as a 'dangerous' country? I don't know.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

but you dont have threat of being abducted by muslim terrorists in french polynesia either

Old 12-07-2012, 08:57 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times
Philippines are definitely on the underrated list - in fact severely underrated - and no way it is overrated! Unless you're a Filipino and you're critical of your country. Many tourists seem to ignore Philippines as a potential tourist destination (in fact, it has a very bigggggggg potential in this area), and that is beyond me. I'm from Malaysia (we're such close neighbours!) and yet most of the people I know tend to holiday in Bangkok, Singapore, Bali, HK, Taiwan, Macau, etc, but very very seldom do I see someone go holiday in the Phils - the probability is near zero!

Bangkok to me, yes it's very very popular, but I think it deserves its reputation. It has a certain charm that keeps luring people back. Asians esp love to go there for shopping as well as food trips. A friend of mine has even been there 5 times within a few yrs. Ask any Asian - Bangkok is a favourite place they would not hesitate to return again and again.

Malaysia for the most part, is kinda underrated. Bali is beautiful, and yet I think it is overrated, same as Phuket (in this sense, Bali is better than Phuket due to its cultural offerings. Phuket is just another sex-scam partyland for the farangs).

Sri Lanka is underrated too. The island has so much to offer (imagine an island smaller than West Malaysia and yet boasts 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites!), and the beaches are splendid!

Japan overrated? No way! I think it is appropriately rated, no more, no less. It's expensive yes, but the people, culture etc are definitely world-class.

Dubai has never fascinated me. To me it's a superficial city with gleaming skyscrapers yet with empty soul.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:02 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,072 times
Quote:
Beats me, the Phils are so ignored. It's sad, really...maybe good that they're not as overrun as Thailand, but they deserve to be appreciated more. I think Manila is probably a bad ambassador for it's country, I have to say it's far less appealing than Bangkok or even Saigon. In some ways it's kind of like an Indian city with the poverty.
because the only way to the Philippines is through manila...the Philippines is making headway with korea since this is the first time people can actually fly from korea straight to cebu, iloilo, davao(the good places in Philippines) without having to bypass manila

Old 12-09-2012, 02:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,016 times
Under rated: Luang Prabang, Laos. A gem in the jungle.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:26 AM

Sri Lanka definitely underrated. I just returned, as kyh said, 9 world heritage sites in an area the size of Tasmania! It boasts a civilisation thousands of years old! Who would have thought. Also one of the best/easiest places to observe wildlife. I saw a massive herd of about 100 wild elephants there: where else can one do it with such ease? People probably the friendliest I've met anywhere - sure many are out to sell you stuff, but it's not really that bad compared to other countries. Of course there's the bad roads, traffic with no rules, and the food while good gets a bit boring, but it comes with the territory.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregCM View Post
Under rated: Luang Prabang, Laos. A gem in the jungle.
Laos is getting a reputation as a slice of 'untouched' Asia, but I wonder how long this will last as more and more backpackers take advantage of the cheap prices and exotic reputation.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,117 times
Quote:
Laos is getting a reputation as a slice of 'untouched' Asia, but I wonder how long this will last as more and more backpackers take advantage of the cheap prices and exotic reputation.
Heard they're seeing more and more tourists these days, esp with AirAsia flying in at budget rates from KL.

Quote:
Sri Lanka definitely underrated. I just returned, as kyh said, 9 world heritage sites in an area the size of Tasmania! It boasts a civilisation thousands of years old! Who would have thought. Also one of the best/easiest places to observe wildlife. I saw a massive herd of about 100 wild elephants there: where else can one do it with such ease? People probably the friendliest I've met anywhere - sure many are out to sell you stuff, but it's not really that bad compared to other countries. Of course there's the bad roads, traffic with no rules, and the food while good gets a bit boring, but it comes with the territory.
Speaking of Sri Lankans, oh man, they were the friendliest bunch I've ever met on my travels. Everywhere I went, I would be greeted with "hello!" "hi!" "are you from japan/korea?" - which i'm neither, haha! sigiriya was just plain awesome.. and i miss my days in galle - splendid fortified seaside town (a great retirement place too).

i find their rice to taste somewhat weird though. they had this mouldy taste which is so different to the one that i hv back home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia