Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:29 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,417,641 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in Hong Kong so I'm going to hang out there for a bit. I also want to take one side trip. Where should I go? I have about 2 weeks total between Hong Kong and where ever else I choose to go.

Some ideas:

-Kyoto Japan (anywhere else better in Japan?)
-Korea (where should I go in Korea? Is Seoul the best place?)
-Bali
-Viet Nam (where should I go in VN?)
-Malaysia (where should I go in Malaysia?)

I'm a 42 year old American guy. Just looking to check out somewhere cool to explore a bit. Rather not go somewhere too touristy. Will be going late October/early Nov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 01:34 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,470,453 times
I wouldnt mind visiting Vietnam, I think it would be an interesting trip, plus I like the food, culture, history , you would probably enjoy it more I heard it's not very expensive there, I would probably go to Saigon [Ho Chi Minh City]

Japan is really expensive

Old 10-03-2012, 04:17 PM

Default Where in Asia should I go for vacation?

Thanks Mr. Bolo. What about Malaysia? Places like Bali and Phuket seem a little too touristy. How about Korea....any thoughts on Korea?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:20 PM

In terms of food, I do like Thai, Vietnamese and Chinese food better than Japanese and Korean food. I am a vegetarian so I'm not a big sushi eater.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:40 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,470,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Thanks Mr. Bolo. What about Malaysia? Places like Bali and Phuket seem a little too touristy. How about Korea....any thoughts on Korea?
since you prefer Thai ,Vietnamese ,Chinese foods , Thailand would also be a good choice, I think it would be lots of fun

Korea just doesnt interest me for some reason?

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
since you prefer Thai ,Vietnamese ,Chinese foods , Thailand would also be a good choice, I think it would be lots of fun

Korea just doesnt interest me for some reason?
I just don't want to go to somewhere super touristy. I have this idea in my mind that Vietnam is less touristy than Thailand. Malaysia too. I have heard people complain about how touristy Phuket is.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:07 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
We're going to Taiwan soon, that might be another option.

I was in Vietnam last year, it certainly is less touristy than Thailand, but tourism is picking up. You're right, avoid Phuket or Bangkok. In Vietnam, I would choose either northern or central Vietnam. How much time are you putting aside? If you spend say a week in Hong Kong, you might have 5-6 days in Vietnam, not a long time. I would fly to either Hanoi or Danang. Not sure if there are any direct flights from HK to Danang. Central VN is my favourite, Hoi An, Hue, Bach Ma National Park, Phong Nha Cave, DMZ. Northern VN has Hanoi, pretty interesting. I'd say you could spend 2 days in Hanoi, and either 3 days in Sapa or Halong Bay. If you like mountains, hiking and ethnic minority villages go to Sapa, if you like cool rock formations and a cruise on a junk go to Halong.

Malaysia is still pretty touristy, but has a bit less obnoxious backpackers as Thailand. Again, if you have a week, I would fly from HK to KL, spend maybe a day in KL itself, go to Genting Highlands, Batu Caves (one day each), go up to Cameron Highlands/Ipoh/Penang. If pressed for time a tour might be your best option, if not there's the train or bus. Melaka is also another option worth checking out. If you like nature, you could skip Penang or Melaka and go to one of the national parks, Taman Negara is one of the most famous. It takes awhile to get there so you'd pretty much just be able to do KL and Taman Negara NP.

If you prefer temperate climate/hi-tech cities than Korea/Japan is the way to go. If you prefer a tropical vacation, Vietnam, Malaysia...other options are Cambodia and Laos.

You will require a visa to get into Vietnam.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 PM

23,605 posts, read 24,145,795 times
Hong Kong and Tokyo would be great choices for a first time visitor to Asia (I am assuming you have never visited Asia.).
Singapore is also good.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:53 PM

366 posts, read 731,952 times
Consider a side trip to the Philippines. Not expensive with pristine beaches and water. If you're into scuba diving you'll have plenty of places to dive. I've been to Manila, Cebu and Bahol. All good places to visit.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:07 PM

4 posts, read 4,975 times
Hi American Guy,

you may like to hop over to Bali, I just returned from there, it is a great place! THe Island of gods and demons, the Balinese probably are the folks that managed to drag their ancient traditions into the globalist world with most success. The Island is fabulous, if visiting the West a lot of nature and jungle can be experienced, and it surely is not overrun by tourists. I would recomment either rent a scooter for excursions, or - as traffic is something that one has to get used to here) rent a scooter WITH driver. We did that, and this gave us opportunity to experience a lot of hidden places.

Same goes for the East, and very interesting places to see, like Bali Aga (old native village) and undestroyed countryside.
There is a family-run Accommodation called Darmada near Sidemen, situated right on the River Undah, in a valley next to the Sleeping Buddha Mountain. It is a great place to start excursions from, yet a very tranquil Resort - if you can call 4 accommodations on 1 hectar land that), great for spiritual recharge and very inspiring. Most impressive though is their project, ideas on life and an extremely focus-set mind on sustainable development of the Island. Check yourself: darmadabali.com.

Avoid Kuta in the South, far too touristy.

The North is also prpbably stunning, but did not go there (....yet!)
The time you are looking at traveling could provide some rain showers (monsoon month) but this is absolutely bearable :-)

Generally: For little money you can experience a hat full of new impressions. You will not want to leave, I swear! ;-)

Hope this helps making up your mind, have a good and save holiday!

MaryLou
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia