Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:57 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think it is a rite of passage/social thing. Plus, it's to be educated enough to find a good husband.

Knowing that the work world isn't very good to females here, puts even more incentive to have your daughters educated, so they'll fiind a good husband - a good provider.
So they can have intellectual conversations? Shouldn't how well she cooks or cleans be a measure of how good a wife she'll be?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:06 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
So they can have intellectual conversations? Shouldn't how well she cooks or cleans be a measure of how good a wife she'll be?
Sadly, I don't overhear many Japanese at all have intellectual discussions. It's more rhote memorization. But, something about the shared college experience bonds people.

I'd imagine the same in Japan, but in the West, most statistics I read are that college educated people marry college educated people. Most college-educated people do not mate, marry and raise children with wives who don't share that same college experience. I think it also helps the Mother help the children with their own schooling, as it's the mother's sphere covers the children's world, whereas the husband's purpose is to go out and bring back the $$.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Sadly, I don't overhear many Japanese at all have intellectual discussions. It's more rhote memorization. But, something about the shared college experience bonds people.

I'd imagine the same in Japan, but in the West, most statistics I read are that college educated people marry college educated people. Most college-educated people do not mate, marry and raise children with wives who don't share that same college experience. I think it also helps the Mother help the children with their own schooling, as it's the mother's sphere covers the children's world, whereas the husband's purpose is to go out and bring back the $$.
I see. Yeah the Japanese don't seem the most intellectual, than you could say the same for most nationalities like Americans or Australians for instance. Northern Europeans probably seem the most, if anything, but even then, it's not like everyone has deep discussions about Immanuel Kant or Existentialism.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
I see. Yeah the Japanese don't seem the most intellectual, than you could say the same for most nationalities like Americans or Australians for instance. Northern Europeans probably seem the most, if anything, but even then, it's not like everyone has deep discussions about Immanuel Kant or Existentialism.
I don't notice 'intellectualism' on Kant or Existentialism at all with Americans, Australians or Asians either. I have known English teachers who've taught in Poland though, and found it to be a very common awareness, talking point, about philosophy and great thinkers, and so forth.

But, yeah, I wasn't thinking of that kind of intellectualism at all.

Probably the biggest difference though is critical thinking skills. American universities focus very strongly on critical thinking. Asian universities do not.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:30 AM

Quote:
I don't notice 'intellectualism' on Kant or Existentialism at all with Americans, Australians or Asians either. I have known English teachers who've taught in Poland though, and found it to be a very common awareness, talking point, about philosophy and great thinkers, and so forth.

But, yeah, I wasn't thinking of that kind of intellectualism at all.

Probably the biggest difference though is critical thinking skills. American universities focus very strongly on critical thinking. Asian universities do not.
What kind of intellectualism were you talking about?

Some Japanese and Korean films seem very philosophical, and Japan has the tradition of Zen and Shinto which seem really philosophical.

Yeah, I suppose despite being modern there's still that Asian emphasis on 'learning the classics' and the idea that the knowledge worth knowing has already been written down etc.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:46 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
I think in many Asian countries, particularly in the past, there has been a tendency for learning facts/figures without learning the method or reasons behind that answer. Also seems to be a focus on memorising what is said rather than actual learning, to generalise I don't find Asian cultures encourage intellectual inquisitiveness as much .

Did a bit of a test on my Mum a few years back, asked her what is 12 X 12 got an immediate answer of 144, she was stumped on 13 X 13

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 02-19-2013 at 06:55 AM..

Old 02-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I think in many Asian countries, particularly in the past, there has been a tendency for learning facts/figures without learning the method or reasons behind that answer. There seems to be a focus on memorising what is said rather than actual learning.

Did a bit of a test on my Mum a few years back, asked her what is 12 X 12 got an immediate answer of 144, she was stumped on 13 X 13
Kids don't usually learn their 13x table, so you'd expect that anywhere, but our maths-obsessed teacher did make us memorise it...thankfully that was as far as it went. At least he made a game out of it, having maths competitions where we'd win prizes.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM

1,527 posts, read 2,996,323 times
Quote:
Kids don't usually learn their 13x table, so you'd expect that anywhere, but our maths-obsessed teacher did make us memorise it...thankfully that was as far as it went. At least he made a game out of it, having maths competitions where we'd win prizes.
especially nowadays..kids dont know their multipilication tables because they are using calculators.....

Old 02-19-2013, 07:02 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,818 times
Quote:

That's my point though, if someone is taught to be a little more flexible in their thinking they should be able to work out 13 x 13 in their head, eg. (10 x 13)+(3 x 13).

I never fully memorised the timetables though, so maybe it's just me.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay1 View Post
especially nowadays..kids dont know their multipilication tables because they are using calculators.....
Yeah and they're not learning how to spell because of spell-check, although ironically spell-check helped with mine.

I'm just glad I didn't grow up in Asia as a kid, it seems they just work them so hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia