Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:09 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times

Advertisements

Well I'd wait until you got back to Singapore and explore options with your dad. You will feel more relaxed and be able to express your ideas better. Plus, he might be of some help. Singapore is an awesome place to hang for a bit. Just enjoy that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 10:57 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think valentro expressed he had a deep interest in Japanese culture.

I agree Singapore would be the most practical. It has that urban life.etc you crave and it'd be most familiar.

I don't imagine many Westerners move to India for lifestyle reasons. Only if they're there for work. It's an incredible country though, fascinating to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there even if I was rich.
I agree about India. I think the only reason I'd consider living there, was if I was an Indian male who wanted a very traditional married life with an Indian female spouse and to raise my kids around some pocket of affluency. I don't think western males, particularly single ones, find dating even possible. Dating, even moreso with westerner males, just isn't something done in India.

Singapore seems like the most practical by far. I met a white American guy on my last trip to Singapore. He seemed to have flown to SG, and found a job on the ground. A very young guy. I was surprised, as I didn't think that was possible. He has a strong IT/Computer background, so apparently it was in his field. It just seems like for the OP with a Singaporean father who could open doors for him, the world is really open there. Plus English everywhere.

Japan, he'd 100% have to spend a significant part of all of his free time studying Japanese.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I agree about India. I think the only reason I'd consider living there, was if I was an Indian male who wanted a very traditional married life with an Indian female spouse and to raise my kids around some pocket of affluency. I don't think western males, particularly single ones, find dating even possible. Dating, even moreso with westerner males, just isn't something done in India.

Singapore seems like the most practical by far. I met a white American guy on my last trip to Singapore. He seemed to have flown to SG, and found a job on the ground. A very young guy. I was surprised, as I didn't think that was possible. He has a strong IT/Computer background, so apparently it was in his field. It just seems like for the OP with a Singaporean father who could open doors for him, the world is really open there. Plus English everywhere.

Japan, he'd 100% have to spend a significant part of all of his free time studying Japanese.
I think the Singapore government actually actively encourages foreigners to work in Singapore. I've noticed on recent visits that there are a lot more non-locals there than before, from both Asia and the West.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I think the Singapore government actually actively encourages foreigners to work in Singapore. I've noticed on recent visits that there are a lot more non-locals there than before, from both Asia and the West.
I've been noticing that more and more as well. Didn't know the reason exactly. But, it's getting more common to meet mainland Chinese who have no English ability whatsoever in Singapore. I've also noticed that Little India is just exploding with more and more Indians directly from India as well. Much more than I'd noticed in the distant past.

I also recall within the caucasians. There was a British guy who lived in SG for many years and started publishing books about his experiences there. He just recently moved on to Australia. But he seemed very welcomed there. My impression was he was able to find work to make things work quite well, before he even started the book writing thing.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I've been noticing that more and more as well. Didn't know the reason exactly. But, it's getting more common to meet mainland Chinese who have no English ability whatsoever in Singapore. I've also noticed that Little India is just exploding with more and more Indians directly from India as well. Much more than I'd noticed in the distant past.

I also recall within the caucasians. There was a British guy who lived in SG for many years and started publishing books about his experiences there. He just recently moved on to Australia. But he seemed very welcomed there. My impression was he was able to find work to make things work quite well, before he even started the book writing thing.
The change in the last 25 years is quite noticeable, actually. Singapore has always been an international city but in the past 25 years it's done become even moreso. In 1990, for instance, most Singaporeans spoke one of the Chinese languages, with about 30% speaking English at home. Now more speak Mandarin, slightly more than English although English has increased. Most astoundingly, nearly 40% of people living in Singapore today are foreigners! Things certainly have changed a lot since I was born.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:35 AM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,268,173 times
Quote:

They are flooding all over the service sector in Singapore. Most waiters, waitresses, cashiers etc that I met on my trips there were clearly PRC.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
They are flooding all over the service sector in Singapore. Most waiters, waitresses, cashiers etc that I met on my trips there were clearly PRC.
I guess that's probably like that in HK/Macau as well these days. But probably not as many Indians, etc. as in Singapore though.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
No offense but unless they can speak good English that's the last place they should be. Anyone working in the service sector in Singapore should be able to speak in English. One time I was at a little shop, one of those on the ground floor of a complex of HDB flats, and the woman told me the price in Chinese (I actually semi-understood it, just the letter 8 part lol). When I looked at her blankly she barked '8 dollars' or something like that with distinct irritation. I guess she thought I was a local who should have understood.

Old 02-22-2013, 03:34 AM

26 posts, read 49,221 times
Every city has it's own importance depending on what one is looking for like jobs opportunity,people known to you in that city or it could be the culture & heritage of that place.As far I know Singapore is really nice in terms of everything which definitely includes their tradition & modernity and the talent pool as well which makes it the heart of Southeast Asia.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:34 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,419,286 times
Singapore is definitely a great place, i mean not the cheapest place to stay at though. No need to for a car since you got the metro and a good chunk of the folks speak English. I've been there a couple of times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia