Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 03:11 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Well there is no denying, The Philippines has strong cultural ties to Latin America that came through the Spanish. The Spanish influence on Filipino languages is clear, Religon and food also. Being former colonies there are many similarities.
Now at least it's coming from a Non Filipino... Yes we share so many similarities. Sometimes when I watch a South American novela, I can relate because the culture is very similar. Some Filipinos think that because we are in Asia and there aren't so many meztisos here and we do not speak Spanish, we cannot be called asian hispanics any more. Most lf them do not know that in Latin America , there are also natives and Africans . In Brazil, there are 1.5 million Japanese, yet they are still called Latinos.

Last edited by Hermosaa; 04-03-2013 at 03:24 PM..

Old 04-03-2013, 03:15 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
Quote:
True, but i still think many Latinos and Filipinos look alike. I get confused for filipino all the time. And like Hermosaa said earlier the Philippines was a spanish colony as was Latin America. In Latin America, the spanish mixed with the Native, which some look very asian. Sometimes when I go to Filipino restaurants, they start talking to me in tagalog. My last name (apellido) is Ramirez, a coworker of mine from Pampanga, his last name (apelyido) is also Ramirez. We call each other cousins.
See ? Luis is also sometimes mistaken as Filipino. Why can't some Filipinos just admit that some Filipinos ( not the ones with Chinese ancestry ) have some similarities with Latin Americans ?!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:42 PM

1,754 posts, read 8,116,942 times
Quote:
True, but i still think many Latinos and Filipinos look alike. I get confused for filipino all the time. And like Hermosaa said earlier the Philippines was a spanish colony as was Latin America. In Latin America, the spanish mixed with the Native, which some look very asian. Sometimes when I go to Filipino restaurants, they start talking to me in tagalog. My last name (apellido) is Ramirez, a coworker of mine from Pampanga, his last name (apelyido) is also Ramirez. We call each other cousins.
Kamusta, Luis? (Como esta, Luis?)

I met some Peruvian and they are friendly towards us Filipinos at work. We actually get along with each other as they've been with us for like a year. even if we don't speak Spanish lol but we understood some words & they understood some words. They even invited us to Lima, Peru to visit them & invited them too to come to the Philippines.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM

Diana Arevalo

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...nas/diana2.jpg

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto..._6077645_n.jpg
She's Filipina, definitely pass as one.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Another pointless thread ejay? lol

I would say she looks Chinese, and Northern or Central Chinese at that. Only the most Mongolian looking Southern Chinese look like her. Her ancestors are probably from northern China or Mongolia.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Another pointless thread ejay? lol

I would say she looks Chinese, and Northern or Central Chinese at that. Only the most Mongolian looking Southern Chinese look like her. Her ancestors are probably from northern China or Mongolia.
no records of chinese in her town...sibalom, antique
and there most likely wouldnt be any han chinese migrants to it...its remote....its very small(only 50,000 people), and its mainly a rice growing area....no real money can be made there
though I did say her ethnic group the karay-a came from southern china during the iron age

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinai View Post
really Pinai....you and hermosa are posting all these celebs and models from prominent families who have spanish blood...your average filipina would not look like this

the average filipina is either malay or east asian looking...more so on the malay though
like this for example

which doesnt look anything remotely like the average latino in the USA

Old 04-03-2013, 08:36 PM

If you say prominent it means rich people. Diana and Shamcey are just both contestant of Binibining Pilipinas that belongs to a middle class family or at least a family that survives like the average Filipino family.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
If you say prominent it means rich people. Diana and Shamcey are just both contestant of Binibining Pilipinas that belongs to a middle class family or at least a family that survives like the average Filipino family.
owning multiple cars and living in a gated community is not the average filipino

how come the farmers in philippines look asian but your upper class models and celebs do not??/

Old 04-03-2013, 08:44 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,407,761 times
Quote:
Kamusta, Luis? (Como esta, Luis?)

I met some Peruvian and they are friendly towards us Filipinos at work. We actually get along with each other as they've been with us for like a year. even if we don't speak Spanish lol but we understood some words & they understood some words. They even invited us to Lima, Peru to visit them & invited them too to come to the Philippines.
Como esta amigo. I would love to visit the Philippines some day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia