Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times

Advertisements

'Immigration Nations' are pretty much unheard of throughout Asia. You don't emigrate to Asia.

However, if one might, I'm thinking it could possibly be CHINA. Mostly because with a billion plus people already, a large surplus of foreigners coming in, wouldn't radically change it all that much. They'd definitely bring a lot to China, all the different educational backgrounds and such.

I cannot see this occuring in any other Asian country, as everywhere else is so much smaller in geography and population-wise. The impact would change the culture too much.

But for some reason, I could see China taking in many many differnet people, and the China world still remains largely Chinese. Plus, they'd connect the country better to other countries, bringing in more wealth and expertise and commerce and such.

Anyone else agree or disagree? China might become one of the first 'immigration nations' in Asia?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:00 AM

30,372 posts, read 19,170,654 times
The 1 child policy is going to get the population trending down and then you have a male/female imbablance there as well. Due to 1 child policy, the average age of Chinese is going to be very high in 20-30 years. This is going to put a strain on their resources with very few workers when their "baby boom" generation retires. At that point, they will seek out people to emmigrate imo.

I think wealthy Chinese will shop for wives outside of China due to the imbalance and this will be a small immigration factor.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:12 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,092,582 times
I don't think so... It is very very hard to get a visa in China. It is not hard to get a tourist visa but working is pretty hard. They don't really hire just anyone for any profession. It's not like other emigrant countries that anyone can work as a waiter, hotel staff, plumber, nurse, doctor , sales people, cashiers etc. Of course there are foreigners but they were usually hired from their home countries to work in muti national companies, also to work as teachers and some doing trade. Too much paper work too, it gets tiring after awhile.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:53 AM

808 posts, read 1,878,936 times
Quote:
I cannot see this occuring in any other Asian country, as everywhere else is so much smaller in geography and population-wise.
China is actually not that big, relative to its population. Half of its land is not suitable for human habitation. That's why most of China's 1.3 billion people are crowded along the coasts, making cities like Shenzhen and Tianjin more dense than places like Singapore or Tokyo. For this reason I can't see China ever becoming an immigrant nation.

Oh and there's the whole communism and lack of free speech or human rights stuff too.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:15 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,472,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
'Immigration Nations' are pretty much unheard of throughout Asia. You don't emigrate to Asia.

However, if one might, I'm thinking it could possibly be CHINA. Mostly because with a billion plus people already, a large surplus of foreigners coming in, wouldn't radically change it all that much. They'd definitely bring a lot to China, all the different educational backgrounds and such.

I cannot see this occuring in any other Asian country, as everywhere else is so much smaller in geography and population-wise. The impact would change the culture too much.

But for some reason, I could see China taking in many many differnet people, and the China world still remains largely Chinese. Plus, they'd connect the country better to other countries, bringing in more wealth and expertise and commerce and such.

Anyone else agree or disagree? China might become one of the first 'immigration nations' in Asia?
Most European countries are much smaller in size and population than most Asian countries but that hasn't stopped them having big influxes of immigrants. If Asia is the place where there is more work and the standard of living rises immigrants will flock there as well.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:47 AM

37,155 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

Countries that are already multicultural in southeast Asia such as Malaysia and Singapore are/were already immigrant nations, so China wouldn't be the first.

I think there will be growing numbers of expats, but I don't think there are going to be particularly large numbers (as in ever passing a few percentage points of the population) establishing permanent residency and setting down roots in China since China already has ample cheap labor so there's no huge demand for migrants, Mandarin education abroad is generally pretty rare so it's hard for them to integrate into the community and feel at home (hell, a lot of the current economic migrants can barely speak a lick of Mandarin despite being there for years; it's likely quite a few people on this forum who are now expats in China can hold a conversation in Mandarin or any other Chinese language), and government policy isn't too amenable to granting permanent residency or citizenship.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:12 AM

788 posts, read 1,877,453 times
I really doubt it. Even now, the entire foreign population of China is less than New York City...

Old 07-03-2013, 09:42 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
If Asia is the place where there is more work and the standard of living rises immigrants will flock there as well.

Japan? It didn't happen there, either.

As long as they have a Communist government that acts like it's 1933 Germany, nobody wants to go there.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
China is actually not that big, relative to its population. Half of its land is not suitable for human habitation.
You could say the same thing about the whole states of Nevada and Arizona. Arizona is now more densely populated than Arkansas or Iowa, and will very soon pass up Mississippi. Arizona now has a population density almost exactly the same as the entire country of Mexico.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-03-2013 at 10:17 AM..

Old 07-03-2013, 10:13 AM

23,540 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I don't think that folks have the "desire" to move to China, unless serious rules/regulations changes take place. The lack of free speech other issues is in the minds of potential immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia