Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 11:50 AM

44 posts, read 79,312 times

Advertisements

Thanks minibrings, I think we're actually going to look for a condo vs a single family dwelling. I think it would be fun to have nice amenities, plus there's probably a better chance meeting ppl in a condo building vs. a house.
Do you know of any "nice" buildings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 12:56 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,742,367 times
Bonifacio Global City might have newer and nicer condos. It's probably more international too. It's basically just an extension of Makati even though it's technically in Taguig.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:18 PM

Smtchll..how far would that be from Maki Ave/Paseo de Roxas/ Sen. Gil J. Puyat Ave area be?

I believe that's where the offices would be, and based on a map it looks like Scalcedo looks to be in close proximity...perhaps walking distance? I believe we're being provided with a driver but walking might be nice too.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:35 PM

Right now it's saying that the drive time from BGC to that part of Makati is 10 minutes, but that might be with current traffic, and it's 3:30 AM there. Maybe it's double during the day.

Walking distance would be nice, so I would definitely consider Makati first. I was just letting you know that BGC is also a very good option. Everything you'd need (besides the office) would be within walking distance. It's the most booming and international part of Manila right now.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:40 PM

Yea...I'm sure 3:30 traffic is a little lighter than daytime haha. Good for a reference though!
I will keep both in mind for sure. In Makati is there nicer areas than others? Also in BGC? Neighbourhoods to avoid living in? I "ideally" want something that is safe, close to parks, shops etc so I can putter around through the day with the kiddies.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:01 PM

BGC doesn't have any bad areas, but Makati has some sketchy areas. It doesn't have straight slums, but it has areas that Westerners would think are bad. These areas look bad but aren't really that dangerous IMO

Makati

Google maps has good satellite views of Manila. Zoom into the Makati Central Business District, with the tall buildings. Almost all the neighborhoods to the South and East are nice, but they're single family homes, mostly gated. You can see which neighborhoods look nice. If the houses are small and have rusty-looking rooves, it's a sketchier area where not many foreigners would go. I believe most of the condos are in the CBD though, which is safe. The area that says "Fort Bonifacio" is BGC. It looks like barren land on the map because it's not updated. They are constantly building stuff there. I know there are condos right along that golf course, which would be the closest part of BGC to Makati

Old 07-24-2013, 09:55 AM

Thanks for the link, my hubby is actually flying out in a couple of weeks to check out the areas, office etc etc. I will tell him to look into BGC too, it doesn't look THAT far from where the office is in Makati. Probably not that walkable but if we find a condo that fits ours needs there then we'll make it work.

I know this may sound naive, but can you get a lot of "western" food there...like baking stuff etc..since I have two little ones, I would love to be able to still do some baking etc for them

Old 07-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Im not sure bout baking stuff, but they have every Western thing imaginable, especially when it comes to food and restaurants

Old 07-24-2013, 11:45 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hachthor View Post
Thanks for the link, my hubby is actually flying out in a couple of weeks to check out the areas, office etc etc. I will tell him to look into BGC too, it doesn't look THAT far from where the office is in Makati. Probably not that walkable but if we find a condo that fits ours needs there then we'll make it work.

I know this may sound naive, but can you get a lot of "western" food there...like baking stuff etc..since I have two little ones, I would love to be able to still do some baking etc for them
Philippines is very Western. It is the most western country in Asia having been a colony of Spain for 400 years and United States of America for 50 years. We love western foods including western desserts. We love Sans Rival cake, Red Velvet, black forrest, White Forrest, Chocolate Ganache etc. We have two big Cake house in the Philippines ( Goldilocks and Red Ribbon ) which are both international as both have branches in America. It is more common to see ovens in the Philippines than other countries in Asia so YES there are many baking stuffs here, Everytime I have to go back to China, I bring cream of tartar, baking powder, Icing Sugar, Knoxx gelatin powder etc. as these are hard to find there.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:14 PM

Oh good..that's great to know! We don't even have those cake house chains where I live in Canada...so BONUS!

I'm really starting to warm up with this whole idea of moving there...I think it's just really the travelling there and finding a nice place to live where I can meet ppl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia