Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Everyone is talking about this being an ethnic issue when we all know the elephant in the room is that Malays are radical MUSLIMS! Muslims do not coexist peacefully with any other group on this whole planet. If the Malays were a Christian, Bhuddist, Jewish, or Hindu people I wold place my bottom dollar on them living quite peacefully with the ethnic Chinese community.
Yeah I believe many Muslims there have justified their discriminatory actions through the religion although I do agree that many Bumiputra Muslims in Malaysia desire fairness and good relations with the Chinese & Indians there. The Chinese there in particular have been instrumental in developing Malaysia to a level that otherwise they would not have reached. From my visits there, I think that the official favoritism to the malay, some of which is religious bigotry, is going to prevent Malaysia from developing further and could cause a collapse at some point. It's a shame because Malaysia could be a great country (hard to beat the food including the malay food).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 02:01 AM

372 posts, read 1,006,577 times
Please do not bring RELIGION into your dirty comments!! Thank You

Old 02-20-2014, 03:22 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Religion is relevant to this conversation though as it is the Islamic religion that fuels the ethnic tension between Malays and the Chinese. Maybe it fuels ethnic tension between Malays and Indians as well as most Indians in Malaysia are Hindus.

Old 02-20-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevania01 View Post
Please do not bring Religious Political Correctness to a discussion of the real cause of much of the problems in Malaysia and around the world.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:04 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Everyone is talking about this being an ethnic issue when we all know the elephant in the room is that Malays are radical MUSLIMS! Muslims do not coexist peacefully with any other group on this whole planet. If the Malays were a Christian, Bhuddist, Jewish, or Hindu people I wold place my bottom dollar on them living quite peacefully with the ethnic Chinese community.
You're missing the mark. It's like people in California/Arizona who complain about the Mexicans moving in. It's not that they can't co-exist with Mexicans. They complain because they believe the culture is changing away from 'caucasian-oriented' California/Arizona.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
You're missing the mark. It's like people in California/Arizona who complain about the Mexicans moving in. It's not that they can't co-exist with Mexicans. They complain because they believe the culture is changing away from 'caucasian-oriented' California/Arizona.
Oh... my... god.....

The situation in Malaysia is SO different from what is going on in America on so many levels that I cannot believe a comparison was just made.

Firstly, SOME white people in America do not like the changing demographics of the country. Those people living in urban California and Arizona are some of the most accepting of the change. Most white Americans, including myself, now have friends and family who are Hispanic. This isn't the case with Malays and Chinese Malaysians as intermarriage between these ethnic groups are practically unheard of because of Islam.

Secondly, our government is not discriminating against white people or Hispanics, unlike the government of Malaysia that is openly discriminating against the Chinese community.

Thirdly, the Chinese community in Malaysia has a significantly lower birth rate and high rate of emigration which is putting them in a demographic collapse. The exact opposite of America's Hispanic community, which is growing with high birth rates and immigration. So why would the Malays be concerned about their culture being take over?

Fourthly, the Malays have shown over and over again that they cannot co-exist with the Chinese because of the superstitions that Islam ingrains into their minds. Note my example before about food stalls now needing to be deeply segregated for fear of the smell of pork. Hispanics and white people in America do now have any type of superstition keeping us from interacting with one another.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
While there may be some of that in Cali/AZ, there are several differences in that Mexican/Americans aren't officially discriminated against as the Chinese are in Malaysia and there is significant intermarriage between the ethnic groups in the US but actually illegal for a Muslim female to marry a non-Muslim in Malaysia.

Old 02-20-2014, 08:48 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
Quote:
Religion is relevant to this conversation though as it is the Islamic religion that fuels the ethnic tension between Malays and the Chinese. Maybe it fuels ethnic tension between Malays and Indians as well as most Indians in Malaysia are Hindus.
Yep, there are tensions between Malays and Hindu Indians. Recently many Hindus have been complaining that the government has been demolishing a lot of Hindu temples on the grounds of planning laws as a way of religious persecution. Some Indians are Muslim, though, and these tend to mix more with Malays. Otherwise they tend to be segregated, with Hindu Indians mixing more with Chinese, but still kind of keeping to their communities. There are also Christian Indians as well as Chinese, I've found these people tend to be more likely to be a bit westernised, and often mix more together.

Old 02-20-2014, 03:55 PM

199 posts, read 336,594 times
Quote:
For the sake of discussion, what if the Chinese in Malaysia were primarily of Hui ethnicity?

Reality-wise, how would a Hui person be treated in Malaysia?

Old 02-20-2014, 06:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,653,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanjelman7 View Post
For the sake of discussion, what if the Chinese in Malaysia were primarily of Hui ethnicity?

Reality-wise, how would a Hui person be treated in Malaysia?
Lol ithey wold be treated like the malays, just read news about muslims convert in Malaysia, even their number is less than 1%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia