Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 12:45 PM

399 posts, read 719,453 times

Advertisements

Pretty embarrassing for the United States. I don't think it's going to improve with the pervasive society the Untied States is becoming. I know for sure I'm pushing my children, but I'll be nicer than what my father was to me. My father broke me. I will actually push and encourage my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 12:48 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
If you are really familiar with China, you should know Shanghai students are not the best testers in China.
The best testers are found in Hubei, Hunan, Jiangsu, Zhejiang, Shandong etc.
Beijing and Shanghai have some of the best students but on average, they are just so so. One reason is that life in Beijing and Shanghai is easier.
now that's someone who knows better about China.

Students in Beijing and Shanghai are average at best, because the entire education system is unfairly tiled toward them, so they don't really study as hard as those in other provinces, particularly Jiangsu, Hubei, Zhejiang, Shangdong etc.

Old 02-25-2014, 05:07 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Wow, if Singapore dominates, I wonder how many Nobel Laureates that country has ever produced.
For your info... None.. But don't look down on Singapore..

We are awesome..!!!

Old 02-25-2014, 05:09 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,826,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Not if they adopt Finland's system..
Why should Singapore adopt Finland' system ?

And why Finland in particular?

Old 02-25-2014, 10:03 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
lol yes the students will "help" their friends. For example, if someone cannot answer a question, usually others will tell him/her the answer in low voice.
Yeah, they do that, too... sometimes I have to hush them, but it's quite cute. Even if the kids don't really get along, they try to help eachother out. It's drastically different from what I saw in the US.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,236 times
cram schools for local or western exams and tests including SATs, APs, IBs, TOEFL, IELTS & A-levels are in plenty especially for the richer kids in Asia. Parents who send kids to cram schools are considered good parents in Asia. Parents who neglect their kids' test score performance or just give them money to play are bad parents in Asia.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:58 AM

10,640 posts, read 16,023,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Vietnam isn't 3rd world!
GDP (PPP) per capita is lower than Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Bolivia, Congo, Swaziland, Sri Lanka, India, Indonesia and the Philippines

Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,750,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeducc11 View Post
cram schools for local or western exams and tests including SATs, APs, IBs, TOEFL, IELTS & A-levels are in plenty especially for the richer kids in Asia. Parents who send kids to cram schools are considered good parents in Asia. Parents who neglect their kids' test score performance or just give them money to play are bad parents in Asia.
Those cram schools are very popular in Taiwan and South Korea, I heard. Not so much in mainland China.

One reason is that the schools in China keep students busy enough. Many high schools require students to show up in the evening and study until 10pm or something.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:00 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporelady View Post
For your info... None.. But don't look down on Singapore..

We are awesome..!!!
Well I was just wondering, you would think a country that does so well in math and science tests would have something to show for that is important in the field. Otherwise what are these tests really measuring?

Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,717,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Well I was just wondering, you would think a country that does so well in math and science tests would have something to show for that is important in the field. Otherwise what are these tests really measuring?
You do realize Singapore has 7M people, smaller than New York City alone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia