Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 08:17 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times

Advertisements

Anyone noticed the parallels between Korea and Vietnam?

For instance:

Both are probably the most similar countries to China being on the southern and northeastern borders respectively.

Both languages are unrelated to Chinese but use 50-60% of Chinese vocabulary. In both cases written Chinese characters were replaced by Hanggul and Quoc Ngu respectively.

Both are probably even more Confucian than China itself.

Both have a mixture of Daoism imported from China, Buddhism and Christianity, with a native twist.

There is a strong sense of family and 'blood' in both cultures.

Both have long distant tribalistic roots.

Both were divided into a Communist north and a Democratic south.

The Korean and Vietnam War.

The word '****' was a racial slur towards both of them.

Both have large immigrant communities in the US and tend to have tightly-knit communities.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:02 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,999,559 times
I think its the sinosphere influence in both countries

all sinoshphere countries have that similarity

Old 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,059 times
China seems less Confucian these days mainly due to the sudden explosive surge in individual wealth, and most importantly, the irreversible widespread destruction caused by the Cultural Revolution where all old ideals held dear to the traditional Chinese culture were purged from the masses. But in recent years, activists have been working throughout the country, holding public forums etc in major towns and cities to advocate a gradual comeback to the thinkings of the ancient wisemen.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
China seems less Confucian these days mainly due to the sudden explosive surge in individual wealth, and most importantly, the irreversible widespread destruction caused by the Cultural Revolution where all old ideals held dear to the traditional Chinese culture were purged from the masses. But in recent years, activists have been working throughout the country, holding public forums etc in major towns and cities to advocate a gradual comeback to the thinkings of the ancient wisemen.
I've read some translations/condensations of Vietnamese stories/folk-tales, and a common theme is a married woman prostrating herself totally to her mother in law. The mother in law expects total obedience from her, even to the point of killing her. Also seen a few movies exploring this theme, so it seems a part of Vietnamese culture. They really take ideas of honour, knowing your place and loyalty to the next level. There's definitely a brutality to the Confucian system, that's for sure. In ancient China I hear it was legal for fathers to kill their disobedient children .

Old 02-20-2013, 10:15 PM
kyh

372 posts, read 1,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I've read some translations/condensations of Vietnamese stories/folk-tales, and a common theme is a married woman prostrating herself totally to her mother in law. The mother in law expects total obedience from her, even to the point of killing her. Also seen a few movies exploring this theme, so it seems a part of Vietnamese culture. They really take ideas of honour, knowing your place and loyalty to the next level. There's definitely a brutality to the Confucian system, that's for sure. In ancient China I hear it was legal for fathers to kill their disobedient children .
Never heard of those though. I don't think Confucius himself would advocate killing, that would be too insane to imagine. Even if killing does occur (which I think is rare if it really does), I presume it has got more to do with tribal/clan affiliations and dignity rather than Confucian teachings. If he advocated so, people would not be singing praises of him for so many generations, and he's not even a dictator to begin with (where leader-worshipping is common and forced upon the masses).

Last edited by kyh; 02-20-2013 at 11:03 PM..

Old 02-20-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyh View Post
Never heard of those though. I don't think Confucius himself would advocate killing, that would be too insane to imagine. Even if killing does occur (which I think is rare if it really does), I presume it has got more to do with tribal/clan affiliations and dignity rather than Confucian teachings. If he advocated so, people would not be singing praises of him for so many generations, and he's not even a dictator to begin with (where leader-worshipping is common and forced upon the masses).
Yes maybe they took his teachings a little too far out of context, like it being common for elders to kill their juniors, or the eldest son being seen as worth more.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:17 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post

Both were divided into a Communist north and a Democratic south.

The Korean and Vietnam War.
Were?? Korea still is. And, in my opinion, should always be separate. But the Communist in the North must go.

Old 02-21-2013, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
Were?? Korea still is. And, in my opinion, should always be separate. But the Communist in the North must go.
Why? There were one country before.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Confucianism, drinking culture, immense national pride, etc.

Korea and Vietnam have a soul connection. I lived in Korea for many years, and instantly felt very familiar with Vietnamese culture, as I had experienced so much of it from Korean culture already. It was uncanny.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,750,006 times
Do the people generally have the same character?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.