Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 10:04 AM

451 posts, read 1,324,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
It's hard to pick a whole region. I'd say Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Taiwan the most. Central Asia by the Soviets, but that's kind of a different thing.
As for Taiwan, the Dutch were the only Western society that directly ruled Taiwan and that was for a brief period of time (around 40 to 50 years). There were also Spaniards in the northern part of Taiwan for a brief period of time in the 1600's. The Qing Dynasty controlled Taiwan from the late 1600's to 1895. Then, the Japanese controlled Taiwan from 1895 to 1945. The Western influence of Taiwan may have come from small influences of the Dutch, then through the Japanese (thus, an indirect influence), and now perhaps following the US and through globalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 12:01 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,751,302 times
Southeast Asia of course

Old 04-18-2014, 06:34 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,808,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
French influence on food:

Bánh to Baguettes: French Influences on Vietnamese Cuisine

Meanwhile, the French occupation of SE Asia resulted in largely a plantation landowner-effective slave arrangement where the only means of earning income and being a landowner to the natives was to be a landowner for crops for export. All the other modern industries were run and mostly manned by French or Chinese. However, the defeat of the French foreign legionnaires led to a pretty corrupt Western-backed southern state and a northern Communist supported northern state (in clear violation against Western backed Geneva accords in 1956 ... Vietnam was supposed to have been remained whole).

So...the French had an indelible mark on Vietnamese life that perpetuates to this day in some ways.

As for the Dutch, it is true they mostly lived separate lives from the natives, however, after the end of WWII, many Dutch companies laid the foundation of modern Indonesia through laying roadworks and factories right up until Indonesian independence.
Yes there is some French influence on Vietnamese cookery, baguettes, even french fries as snack foods (which I saw occasionally) - even if they might not be French, thit bo bit tet, maybe the style of julienne vegetables and some fresh vegetables, although i wouldn't say it's that significant overall. Vietnamese food is mostly done with local Vietnamese ingredients in the Vietnamese tradition. Aside from that, some older people speak French (a few younger ones although it's being dropped in favour of English and then maybe Mandarin), and of course colonial architecture. Politically after the defeat of the French and subsequent defeat of western backed South Vietnam Vietnam adopted a Soviet-style communist regime and tried to purge vestiges of the old colonial regime, although some still survives. One can find some of the best French cuisine in Asia in Vietnam. But overall, Vietnam definitely still seems very Eastern/Asian.

Again, maybe it was a typo but I don't know of any Dutch influence in Vietnam. Maybe you meant Indonesia.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
As for Taiwan, the Dutch were the only Western society that directly ruled Taiwan and that was for a brief period of time (around 40 to 50 years). There were also Spaniards in the northern part of Taiwan for a brief period of time in the 1600's. The Qing Dynasty controlled Taiwan from the late 1600's to 1895. Then, the Japanese controlled Taiwan from 1895 to 1945. The Western influence of Taiwan may have come from small influences of the Dutch, then through the Japanese (thus, an indirect influence), and now perhaps following the US and through globalization.
I suppose with Taiwan I'm more thinking recent American influence. Along with Japan and Korea, baseball is popular in Taiwan, the cities are modern and a lot of people have western/American things, for instance a lot of American-style food, the overall lifestyle. A lot of it has been fairly recently, in the last few decades.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:52 AM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
Quote:
Yes, although that doesn't change the fact the middle and upper class in India make up a tiny percentage of the population. I measure a country's development in terms of how the AVERAGE person lives. You can find wealthy people in almost every country.
Actually, the size of the Indian middle class is estimated to be about 250 million, which makes it larger than the population of almost every other country in the world.

Old 04-19-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Actually, the size of the Indian middle class is estimated to be about 250 million, which makes it larger than the population of almost every other country in the world.
That big? I guess middle by Indian standards maybe. Even if it's 250 million, that's still out of 1.2 billion, so there are plenty more poor people.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,958,802 times
Quote:
That big? I guess middle by Indian standards maybe. Even if it's 250 million, that's still out of 1.2 billion, so there are plenty more poor people.
Actually, the Indian middle class live quite well. But of course they are dwarfed in numbers by the poor. My point was simply that in a nation as populous as India (or China for that matter) these relatively small-sounding percentage - 20% in this case - equate to numbers that surpass the total population of most other countries.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Actually, the Indian middle class live quite well. But of course they are dwarfed in numbers by the poor. My point was simply that in a nation as populous as India (or China for that matter) these relatively small-sounding percentage - 20% in this case - equate to numbers that surpass the total population of most other countries.
That is true...India and China probably have more wealthy people than America, so there is still a lot of wealth there.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
Quote:
I suppose with Taiwan I'm more thinking recent American influence. Along with Japan and Korea, baseball is popular in Taiwan, the cities are modern and a lot of people have western/American things, for instance a lot of American-style food, the overall lifestyle. A lot of it has been fairly recently, in the last few decades.
not sure about the food.

The food from tiny Taiwan is far broader and more sophisticated that lacklustre American food. American food is only popular in the context of fast food.

What is American food anyway? Burgers? BBQ? Nothing seems that attractive to most east Asians.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
not sure about the food.

The food from tiny Taiwan is far broader and more sophisticated that lacklustre American food. American food is only popular in the context of fast food.

What is American food anyway? Burgers? BBQ? Nothing seems that attractive to most east Asians.
Have you even been to America? America's food scene is one of the best and most diverse of any country. It's far more than fast food (a popular misconception). I could even find philly cheese-steak in Taiwan, something I've never seen here (I make my own). Everything from burgers (which can be great), various hot dogs, sausages, yes BBQ, different styles, ribs, brisket, soul food, collard greens, mac'n'cheese, cornbread, Tex-Mex, bagels, K'nish, New England cuisine: clam chowder, lobster rolls, haddock pie.etc. NY bagel is a great chain in Taiwan. Taiwan's own food (and the Chinese food from different regions) is great but it's also got good American and Japanese food. NY bagel and all the western-style places are always popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia