Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,801,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mien View Post
These pics can't use to represent about skin color, it's about facial structure.

It obviously the skin color in these pics are actually representing the reality. There is no way for average Japanese and Chinese to be darker than Southeast Asians.

Plus, when we look at the video of of hundred of athletes(which taken by the same guy, same camera, same day,same light effect). On average the Thai team are lighter skin than Vietnamese team.

So it seem like these average face pics were taken in different light effects, which makes them not representing actually skin tone.

Bigger pic....

The feature of Chinese woman is obviously stand out and look unique. While Cambodian and Vietnamese obviously have exact same feature of nose shape,lips,cheekbone,eyes,jawline and face shape.

Yes, I disagreed. Physical appearance is physical appearance, culture is culture. I don't see these two things related to each other anyway? They are completely two different subject.

So according to your ideology, someone who is racially Cambodian can "magically" turn into a Chinese if he go to the store and bought a Hanfu to wear?

I think some people over-estimate how different Cambodians look. They're still obviously mostly of the Asian type, and some look a bit 'chinky' (for want of a better word). Quite a few, actually. Many Southern Chinese could probably pass as Khmer.

Actually to me the Vietnamese and Chinese look pretty darn similar, surprisingly so really. The Chinese face looks more Southern Chinese to me, though. Yes, the Viet and Cambodian faces do look similar, with the Cambodian obviously darker. Oddly the Vietnamese face has a slightly wider looking nose too...but Vietnamese tend to have noses on the flat/wide side.

Well there is usually some relationships between the spread of culture and genetics, since people in the same area will tend to have similar genetics. That's why the Vietnamese were influenced by Chinese culture from the Han dynasty. Many Chinese also came down to Vietnam, and even their founding myth includes a Chinese Emperor. The Chinese roots of Vietnamese culture/civilisation go back much further than say, Chinese roots in Japan.

'Racially' Cambodian? The term 'race' is superfluous, and most would consider both Chinese and Cambodians part of the 'Mongoloid' race, those who subscribe to that view. Finns and Italians are a similar distance as Koreans and Khmer. One is Caucasoid and one Mongoloid. It's pretty obvious they're both of the East Asian type.

Old 06-13-2014, 08:51 AM

BTW where are you from Mien?

Old 06-13-2014, 11:29 PM

55 posts, read 138,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
BTW where are you from Mien?

Haha. Don't you recognize this is the same Lao member "Ezio_Auditore" who is obsessed with saying Lao/Thai are east asians while they are not as everybody knows. Don't you recognize he just repeated his fantasy with different accounts ? lol . Another account is "Runno" I believe.

Old 06-17-2014, 04:29 AM

76 posts, read 405,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugene_allen View Post
Haha. Don't you recognize this is the same Lao member "Ezio_Auditore" who is obsessed with saying Lao/Thai are east asians while they are not as everybody knows. Don't you recognize he just repeated his fantasy with different accounts ? lol . Another account is "Runno" I believe.
And you are the same Viet member who tried to oppose it "at all cost"

I am wondering if Lao and Thai aren't Southeast Asian but are East Asian(which they historically are), is that making Vietnamese lost reputation/pride or something? Is this why Viet members are pissing off about and are giving some real big deal about it(while other Southeast Asians never care about that Lao and Thai are racially,historical and linguistically related to East Asian more than them)? lol?

Last edited by Mien; 06-17-2014 at 04:40 AM..

Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 PM

55 posts, read 138,791 times
Quote:
And you are the same Viet member who tried to oppose it "at all cost"

I am wondering if Lao and Thai aren't Southeast Asian but are East Asian(which they historically are), is that making Vietnamese lost reputation/pride or something? Is this why Viet members are pissing off about and are giving some real big deal about it(while other Southeast Asians never care about that Lao and Thai are racially,historical and linguistically related to East Asian more than them)? lol?

The same Viet member? You don't even know who I am. I'm saying it because your obsession is seen by every one and it's not just Viets who see how ridiculous you are and oppose you. Even on this thread, there's the Postman. Just by browsing across forums, anyone can see your jealousy of the Vietnamese. It's like almost every one (non Vietnamese) said they have lighter skin, they look more East Asian, ect. while no one said that about Thai-Lao. It's you who gives a real big deal about it and pisses off that Thai-Lao weren't mentioned at all, you have to add your name in by yourself I am wondering if Vietnamese are said to have lighter skin or chinky eyes, it makes Lao-Thai lose reputation, pride or something? Other Southeast Asians do not care, probably because you aren't jealous of them and aren't obsessed with them the way you are with the Vietnamese. The Vietnamese probably care because they are the object of your jealousy. lol.

"Lao and Thai are historically East Asians" and "Lao and Thai are racially, historically, linguistically related to East Asian". LOL. Don't make me laugh. I'm sure you have read enough refutation, scientific proof and comments from other members, hard to accept . You can choose to forget about it all and start over with your repeated "Lao and Thai are East Asians" but it will never change what other people know of you as The only reason you can say Tai were "East Asians" is because the Han Chinese colonized their land and added it into China to make it "East Asia". That is all "your proof". The very same way Khmers who were born in their homeland which now belongs to Thailand can be called "Thai" The Tai themselves were from no different roots as other Southeast Asians. People know better!

Last edited by eugene_allen; 06-17-2014 at 02:23 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
The same Viet member? You don't even know who I am. I'm saying it because your obsession is seen by every one and it's not just Viets who see how ridiculous you are and oppose you. Even on this thread, there's the Postman. Just by browsing across forums, anyone can see your jealousy of the Vietnamese. It's like almost every one (non Vietnamese) said they have lighter skin, they look more East Asian, ect. while no one said that about Thai-Lao. It's you who gives a real big deal about it and pisses off that Thai-Lao weren't mentioned at all, you have to add your name in by yourself I am wondering if Vietnamese are said to have lighter skin or chinky eyes, it makes Lao-Thai lose reputation, pride or something? Other Southeast Asians do not care, probably because you aren't jealous of them and aren't obsessed with them the way you are with the Vietnamese. The Vietnamese probably care because they are the object of your jealousy. lol.

"Lao and Thai are historically East Asians" and "Lao and Thai are racially, historically, linguistically related to East Asian". LOL. Don't make me laugh. I'm sure you have read enough refutation, scientific proof and comments from other members, hard to accept . You can choose to forget about it all and start over with your repeated "Lao and Thai are East Asians" but it will never change what other people know of you as The only reason you can say Tai were "East Asians" is because the Han Chinese colonized their land and added it into China to make it "East Asia". That is all "your proof". The very same way Khmers who were born in their homeland which now belongs to Thailand can be called "Thai" The Tai themselves were from no different roots as other Southeast Asians. People know better!
Yeah, it is rather silly. Regarding the Thai people, they are quite heterogenous. Some are more Dai, who are sort of East Asian, some more Mon, some more Southeastern Chinese, some something else, Khmer.etc, the Thai are a mix, but the important thing is they all consider themselves Thai, which is more important the phenotypes or anything. Language, culture, food, religion.etc unites them.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
And do you know who I am? No you don't. All you have are all nothing but "assumption" (Which I don't care since it means nothing to me).

Quote:
Even on this thread, there's the Postman.
He said it by himself that he is half Viet half Singaporean

Quote:
I've been from Saigon to Hanoi, travelling Vietnam for 3 weeks, and I live in an area with many Vietnamese here in Australia. I'm also half-Singaporean, and have been to Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Taiwan, China, Sri Lanka, UAE in Asia. So I've probably literally seen hundreds of thousands of Vietnamese, Chinese and Thai faces.
Quote:
It's like almost every one (non Vietnamese) said they have lighter skin, they look more East Asian, ect. while no one said that about Thai-Lao. It's you who gives a real big deal about it and pisses off that Thai-Lao weren't mentioned at all, you have to add your name in by yourself I am wondering if Vietnamese are said to have lighter skin or chinky eyes, it makes Lao-Thai lose reputation, pride or something? Other Southeast Asians do not care, probably because you aren't jealous of them and aren't obsessed with them the way you are with the Vietnamese. The Vietnamese probably care because they are the object of your jealousy. lol.
Quite funny isn't it that in this topic, no one(none Viet) ever mention that Viet physically look East Asian more than other Southeast Asian.

This is what they said.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
I dont think the Vietnamese stand out. The Timorese stand out the most, but not too much. The Singaporeans also kind of stand out.
On another hand those who try to promote idiotic ideology that Vietnamese are stand out are actually Vietnamese(or partly Viet) themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sampson View Post
They all look quite similar to each other with the exception of the Vietnamese who stick out like sore thumb in my opinion.
So yes, no one else here say that Vietnamese are East Asian.(Aside from Vietnamese themselves)

Old 06-18-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
All in all. It doesn't matter that Tai/Dai(ethnic majority of Laos and Thailand) are East Asian or Southeast Asian, it doesn't matter. The only thing everyone knows is that Tai/Dai(ethnic majority of Laos and Thailand) are historically more Northerly origin than Kinh/Jing(ethnic majority of Vietnam) and also were arrived to Southeast Asia the most recent(700 years ago) of all when compare to other Southeast Asians(except Han-Chinese ethnic) such as Vietnamese/Cambodian/Indonesian/Malaysian/Filipino which are all been living in Southeast Asia for at least 4000 years.

Haha, anyway these are the topics I created in other forum.(which I expected you to go register account over there too)

Comparison of average look/physical appearance of every national in Southeast Asia - General Discussion - China History Forum, Chinese History Forum

Comparison of average look/physical appearance of Southeast Asian of every nation - AsianFanatics Forum

I don't find a single poster mention something like "Vietnamese are the most East Asian in Southeast Asia" lol (with an exception of "new accounts" which are created by Vietnamese nationalists in order to promote their race)

So yes, not a single person thinks that Vietnamese physically look East Asian when they see the actually comparison of physical appearance.(In fact it obviously that the Lao and Thai obviously does look more East Asian than Vietnamese)

The only reason that some ignorant(who grouping people based on their cultural aspect) tent to stereotype that Vietnamese are related with East Asian is because Vietnamese are participating East Asian culture(due to 1000 years of Han-Chinese occupation).

That is it, all is due to the "culture". Nothing else, not origin, not history, not race, not language, not physically look.

(same thing as when that same group of ignorant stereotypes Filipino are related to Hispanics and stereotypes that Indonesian/Malaysian are related to Arabs. While in reality aside from "culture" Filipino has nothing related to Hispanics and Indonesian/Malaysian has nothing related to Arabs in any other aspects such as origin, history, race, language, physically appearance.

Indonesian/Malaysian don't look like Arab but look like Austronesian-Islander. Filipino also doesn't look like Hispanics but look like Austronesian-Islander.)

Last edited by Mien; 06-18-2014 at 07:33 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
And do you know who I am? No you don't. All you have are all nothing but "assumption" (Which I don't care since it means nothing to me).

He said it by himself that he is half Viet half Singaporean

Quite funny isn't it that in this topic, no one(none Viet) ever mention that Viet physically look East Asian more than other Southeast Asian.

This is what they said.....

On another hand those who try to promote idiotic ideology that Vietnamese are stand out are actually Vietnamese(or partly Viet) themselves.

So yes, no one else here say that Vietnamese are East Asian.(Aside from Vietnamese themselves)
No I'm half Malaysian, half Singaporean. My ancestry is mostly mostly from Fujian province, China, with some Malay.

I think we need to establish what were talking about when we mean 'East Asian.' S. Chinese are a different matter.

Anyway I took the trouble to put together a little test. These are photos I personally took in various Asian countries. Try to guess the ethnicity/nationality of the people in the photos. Note, they don't always 'belong' in the country of their ethnicity. See how many you get:

Old 06-18-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
No I'm half Malaysian, half Singaporean. My ancestry is mostly mostly from Fujian province, China, with some Malay.

I think we need to establish what were talking about when we mean 'East Asian.' S. Chinese are a different matter.

Anyway I took the trouble to put together a little test. These are photos I personally took in various Asian countries. Try to guess the ethnicity/nationality of the people in the photos. Note, they don't always 'belong' in the country of their ethnicity. See how many you get:

I can't say anything since photos you posted contain only 1-5 people. The number are too small to judge for a diverse place like Southeast Asia where "some individual" could easily overlap as someone from other country.

Btw I can easily tell which is which if it's a photo with hundreds people in it. Because there is an obvious "average common look of each nation".

These are good example......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia