Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 12:01 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,900,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
I really hope that this would help make gay rights and gay issues more visible and on the front burner in China. The country could do so much to help its reputation if it turns out to be more liberal and supportive of its millions of gay citizens. Who knows, China might be the first Asian country and dictatorship to allow gay marriage?!

New book says Communist China's first premier was probably gay | Reuters
Historically, China has not been as harsh on homosexuals as many countries. It really wasn't until the 20th century and the communist takeover that it changed. But a lot of the early communist party policies have slowly been reversed. China is likely a few decades behind in homosexual rights. I'm confident gay marriage will be legal there, eventually. It may be one of the first Asian countries to legalize gay marriage. China seems to be liberalizing fairly rapidly. I hope I don't offend anyone, but young Chinese men do seem to be more feminine then men in other cultures. I personally don't view that entirely as a negative thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2016, 05:38 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
In China, marriage is not just based on romance.

Put another way, Chinese people do not think romantic love (deep attraction to each other) is the sufficient condition for marriage. If you go to those xiang qin events, you will see people talk about job, money and education more than attraction.
Actually, if that is the case, a boy's parents being obsessed with money and position (associated with education) would love to have another son as their son-in-law. China is still a sexist society, and having two men as your sons taking care of you in your old age with greater resources would be a positive to the old people involved. As for family lineage, technology has reached a point where surrogacy and artificial insemination are easily done so that issue is solved.

So, following your marriage theory, parents of gay sons should be delighted to have their sons take on another guy into the family. It's like having two sons! Terrible for lesbians though.

Old 01-01-2016, 07:04 AM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Actually, if that is the case, a boy's parents being obsessed with money and position (associated with education) would love to have another son as their son-in-law. China is still a sexist society, and having two men as your sons taking care of you in your old age with greater resources would be a positive to the old people involved. As for family lineage, technology has reached a point where surrogacy and artificial insemination are easily done so that issue is solved.

So, following your marriage theory, parents of gay sons should be delighted to have their sons take on another guy into the family. It's like having two sons! Terrible for lesbians though.
Wouldn't they also be concerned about the family line continuing with more songs (grandsons, etc.)?

Old 01-02-2016, 12:17 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
I have been hearing this rumor for years.
No one really cares. Chinese people neither promote homosexuality nor hate it, as long as their own children are not involved.
True. Unlike in some western countries, the Chinese don't "hate" gays due to religion. Many may not like it, but if it is other people's kids, that's fine. There is no religion based hatred.

When it does happen to their own children, there are usually some drama but the parents usually accept it eventually as long as they get their grandchildren in one way or another.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Historically, China has not been as harsh on homosexuals as many countries. It really wasn't until the 20th century and the communist takeover that it changed. But a lot of the early communist party policies have slowly been reversed. China is likely a few decades behind in homosexual rights. I'm confident gay marriage will be legal there, eventually. It may be one of the first Asian countries to legalize gay marriage. China seems to be liberalizing fairly rapidly. I hope I don't offend anyone, but young Chinese men do seem to be more feminine then men in other cultures. I personally don't view that entirely as a negative thing.
Before you make your last argument, you should look at Japan first.
Additionally being feminine has absolutely nothing to do with gayness.

Old 01-02-2016, 02:23 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,680,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Doesn't Israel recognize same-sex marriages which are preformed abroad, though?
Possibly, but it's not legal. Legal marriages are between men and women.

Old 01-02-2016, 05:08 PM

5,792 posts, read 5,109,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
True. Unlike in some western countries, the Chinese don't "hate" gays due to religion. Many may not like it, but if it is other people's kids, that's fine. There is no religion based hatred.

When it does happen to their own children, there are usually some drama but the parents usually accept it eventually as long as they get their grandchildren in one way or another.
Such peasant mentality to always want your genes to be passed down to the next and the next and the next generation. What makes anyone's family linage so precious anyway? These old Chinese traditions need to go. Kids need to marry who they want, and choose to have kids (great!) or not (great!) as they please. It is not the parents' place to burden their kids with demands for "grandchildren"...

Also, there are plenty of orphans in China to adopt (like Americans who are adopting so many unwanted Chinese kids). And technology is making in vitro pretty standard fare.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:25 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,050,389 times
Quote:
Such peasant mentality to always want your genes to be passed down to the next and the next and the next generation. What makes anyone's family linage so precious anyway? These old Chinese traditions need to go. Kids need to marry who they want, and choose to have kids (great!) or not (great!) as they please. It is not the parents' place to burden their kids with demands for "grandchildren"...

Also, there are plenty of orphans in China to adopt (like Americans who are adopting so many unwanted Chinese kids). And technology is making in vitro pretty standard fare.
This is human nature, and also all animals' instinct. Actually I would say it is a reason why humans can survive till now.
However I agree people's opinion should be more diverse now. It is ok if some people do not want to have children, and their parents should let it go.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I can't agree with you more. This is one annoying aspect of Chinese culture - the children seem to have kids for their parents as an obligation.

Old 01-03-2016, 08:29 PM

240 posts, read 344,466 times
Quote:
Someone may be "gay", but no one is "a gay." Someone can be a homosexual but not "a gay."

The word "gay" is used only in context as an adjective. But it's ok to say "the gays" as a collective or group. But "a gay" is wrong.

I am sick of people butchering the English language.

You are not feeling comfortable about a gay analogy on Washington or Obama even though you may not like both at all.

The hardcore truth is Americans lack a basic respect on foreign leaders or culture especially for non-white countries. This is how "Zhou maybe a gay" BS coming from. Those BS makers alwyas use "Freedom of Speech" to defend this kind of BS. Is there any other countries spend time & money to research sexual orientation of US leaders. Nope. They know a basic respect on foreign leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia