Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 05:42 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
That's what comes from decades if not centuries of political persecution for saying the wrong thing. China is a very different place than the US, UK, Canada, etc. In fact its society is a lot more similar to Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc. but maybe just more technologically modernized and without the tie-in of religion. Try saying or printing something that is offensive to the Ayatollah or the Saudi Royals and see where that would get you. Same thing goes with China.
No, you got it wrong.

In Saudi, they seem to genuinely believe in their political system and religion.

China and Russia are more similar. Very few Chinese, if any, genuinely support the communist rule. It's just something forced upon you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2018, 05:46 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I think it depends on family.
One uncle of mine is a worker and he never talks about politics. Another uncle is an artist and he keeps posting political messages in our family wechat group.

Older people who have college education definitely talk about politics. Younger people less so.

Most older people don't have much education, however, so they won't have any deep discussion.
I’d agree with that. Educated, open minded, and/or wealthy are far more likely to discuss politics and have real opinions and not just follow along with whatever Beijing says. But, for example, it’s quite rare to discuss politics in any public space, like at a restaurant.

My personal Chinese friends I don’t think are very common and will openly discuss politics while out at a restaurant. I seldom talk politics in China, just not a good idea imo.

Some of my Chinese uncles and aunts however just push whatever Beijing is saying, but they seldom talk politics according to their kids, aka some of my friends.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I have nothing to say about your wife’s family or what they talk about but the Chinese I know (in America) tell me they don’t talk politics in front of foreigners.
U.S politics or Chinese politics?

We don't mind talking about Chinese politics in front of foreigners, but we won't translate the content to English for your convenience. It would be ridiculously naive to believe Chinese don't talk about politics.

When it comes to U.S politics, I have to be more circumspect because I don't want to be involved in unpleasant arguments with irrational people. Even though the freedom of speech in still protected by the Constitution, the liberals have managed to suppress dissents. The expression of unpopular political views can destroy your career. This is happening in Silicon Valley.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
No, you got it wrong.

In Saudi, they seem to genuinely believe in their political system and religion.

China and Russia are more similar. Very few Chinese, if any, genuinely support the communist rule. It's just something forced upon you.
Saudi Arabia has migrant slaves who have no rights, keep that in mind.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I don’t believe that the Japanese will take care of a Chinese province, since they’re not ethnically Japanese.

Manchuria in the 1930s was not a great place.
He believes he is ethnically Taiwanese, lol.

Colonization is romanticized among younger generation in Taiwan. Many of them are nostalgic of Japanese Taiwan era, which they haven't experienced personally. Too bad Japan isn't a superpower today, their dream of restoring Japanese Taiwan is impossible. More hilariously, the majority of young Taiwanese are more than happy to be annexed by the U.S as the 51st state. Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen either. Are they perfectly fine with being annexed as a U.S territory like Puerto Rico? Probably, but I'm not 100% sure.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Saudi Arabia has migrant slaves who have no rights, keep that in mind.
So?

Old 03-10-2018, 08:04 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,440,884 times
Quote:
He believes he is ethnically Taiwanese, lol.

Colonization is romanticized among younger generation in Taiwan. Many of them are nostalgic of Japanese Taiwan era, which they haven't experienced personally. Too bad Japan isn't a superpower today, their dream of restoring Japanese Taiwan is impossible. More hilariously, the majority of young Taiwanese are more than happy to be annexed by the U.S as the 51st state. Unfortunately, this isn't going to happen either. Are they perfectly fine with being annexed as a U.S territory like Puerto Rico? Probably, but I'm not 100% sure.
Given how laughably wrong you are about CKS I never expected you to have any decent knowledge about Taiwan, but this is like comical level of ignorance.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:08 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
No, you got it wrong.

Er no, the reason why you might think so is because the authorities are so intolerant of dissent that nothing blasphemous is said out loud. I find it hard to believe that Saudi women, who aren't allowed to drive, hold political office, or even shop at the market all genuinely agree to such rules by choice. Also, why are there groups always trying to assassinate members of the Saudi royal family if dissent was so tolerated?

Yes China and Russia are similar but there is an obvious reason to that.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Given how laughably wrong you are about CKS I never expected you to have any decent knowledge about Taiwan, but this is like comical level of ignorance.
Did I mention CKS at all?

You can't refute my points.

51st state movement in Taiwan has been around for quite a while.

In your post, you showed your preference for Japanese rule clearly.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:43 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
So?
I doubt the slaves approve of the religious rule and yet they can’t say anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia