Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

I have to disagree.

To be truly open minded, anything would have to be possible, and considered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Well, a Happy New Year to you too!

And so much for the theory that having a "deep belief in God" makes someone a happier person...
I'm content. "Happy" is an emotion, and I don't have those.

Old 01-04-2011, 03:53 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have to disagree.

That is actually what I said... do you often disagree be entirely agreeing???

Considering everything IS open mindedness. When considering new things, changing your opinions and position to reflect the new data IS open mindedness.

However when considering all the data you have currently... declaring that within that frame work there are things that currently appear to be nonsense nonsense.... has no negative impact on open mindedness.

If new data comes in to suggest something is not, after all, nonsense, and you continue to think it nonsense anyway, THEN you have an open mindedness problem.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:03 AM

I quote:
Recognising nonsense is an inherent part of being open minded.

Open minded is not sitting around thinking everything is equally likely to be true.

I disagree with those statements--because calling anything nonsense means that you are not considering it as a possibility.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
calling anything nonsense means that you are not considering it as a possibility.
False.

Calling it nonsense means you DID consider the possibility, and found that possibility very much wanting and/or in contradiction with other things that make that possibility incredibly unlikely.

To take an example... I am very much open to the possibility that a pokka dot colored car could materialise above my head and then fall on me killing me instantly. I recognise it as a possibility.

However I also recognize it as nonsense because:

a) There is absolutely nothing at all that lends any credence to the possibility actually occurring and
b) There is very many other things in the realms of physics that speak against the thing happening.

I considered the possibility, and I found it to be nonsense. If new data comes in that suggests it is actually something that could possibly happen I am more than happy to re-evaluate my conclusions and THAT is what open mindedness is.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:11 AM

And thus, you are no longer considering it! you've dismissed it from the realm of possibility, instead of saying, "Eh, it's possible."

Evolution is possible, creation is possible, coming down from another planet is possible...they are all equally possible.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:19 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
I have to disagree.

Yes, you consider it and then discard it if it doesn't jive.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
And thus, you are no longer considering it!
It has been considered. No further consideration is necessary unless new data comes in. THAT is what open mindedness is. Considering, and reconsidering, everything in the light of new data.

If there is something you feel is worth of reconsideration simply inform me what it is and I will reconsider it. AGAIN the willingness to do so is what open mindedness is.

However considering and reconsidering everything, all the time, constantly without end is not only inefficient and stupid, it is also simply not possible. The kind of "open mindedness" you are trying to harp and sell here is simply impossible to perform and there is no basis for even trying.

Maintain your view based on the current data and update your view to reflect and new data offered. That alone is all that is needed for open mindedness. Again, if you think there is something I have made a decision on and you have new data that will "reopen the case file" so to speak, I am perfectly open to it. Simply tell me what it is.... alas something tells me nothing will be forthcoming from you on this score.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:31 AM

I am open minded on most things. I neither believe or disbelieve much of anything, because I don't have proof of a single approach.

Do ghosts exist? Does extraterrestrial life exist? Does Santa Claus exist?

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of any of these.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Do ghosts exist? Does extraterrestrial life exist? Does Santa Claus exist?

I can neither confirm nor deny the existence of any of these.
No, nor can you confirm or deny the existence of any of the other near infinite things we could simply make up on the spot. This does not mean the possibility of their existing is 50:50.

We can very easily make value judgement on the existence of these things. Santa could possibly exist of course, but that does not mean it is 50:50. There is simply no reason, argument, data or evidence whatsoever forthcoming to lend even a modicum of credence to the idea that he does.

If a proposition comes before us entirely devoid of any substantiation whatsoever, the proposition can safely be dismissed as nonsense until such time as it does. This is nothing to do with "open mindedness" at all. Being open minded merely means being willing to RECONSIDER the proposition when some actual supporting data becomes available.

Last edited by Nozzferrahhtoo; 01-04-2011 at 04:55 AM.. Reason: Fix quotes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism