Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:33 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Actually got into a heated discussion with a friend of mine about this.

If it wasn't for religion we would have no morals.

It just amazes me how many people actually believe this.
We get our morals from SOCIETY! Not GOD or BUDDHA or any other religion.

And this was the point I got to make after he finally let me get a word in.
At the dawn of man we were nomads. Foraging for food.
Then man realized: "Hey... if we stay in one place and work together, we can have more resources! Let's hunt. let's gather!"
"And hey! Since the more able bodies we have, the more resources we will be able to accumulate, let's NOT kill each other! And hey! Since we are all working together here... how about if we DON'T STEAL FROM EACH OTHER! We will work towards the common good!"

and then they said "Hey... what is that loud booming from the sky that seems to drop water from above? It must be a god!"

Society created morals. Man created religion.

Just had to post that somewhere. Thanks for "listening."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM

443 posts, read 565,060 times
Other societies like the Greeks and Romans had very direct laws and rules pertaining to murder, theft and lying. There were precise punishments too. People figured out what they had to do to get along and make their society work.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,350 times
I don't want somebody stealing from ME, therefore it's common courtesy that I not steal from others. <pretty simple?>

Old 04-15-2011, 10:10 AM

3,879 posts, read 8,384,203 times
Its kinda like when someone finds out I'm a nonbeliever then asks "where do you thik you came from?"

My response "My mother and father". I literally would not be here if it weren't for them.

Some people just can't think outside of what they were taught. My parents also taught me my morals. Not any bible.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:19 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Crabcakes View Post
Its kinda like when someone finds out I'm a nonbeliever then asks "where do you thik you came from?"

My response "My mother and father". I literally would not be here if it weren't for them.

Some people just can't think outside of what they were taught. My parents also taught me my morals. Not any bible.
Yes, I love this argument. It slays me. In fact, I'm going to quote a relative of my husband's. He sent me an email just horrified about our atheism. Here is just the first line:

"You realize that it takes more faith to believe that we came from pond scum than to believe that God created us."

There are just so many problems with this statement and the OP's conversation. It's difficult to know where to begin.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:30 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Bologna.

Morals, or at least altruistic behavior, appeared in primates ages before we left the trees for the savannah.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Do the people who say this really want you to believe that they'd be going around killing and raping if the imaginary man in the sky didn't tell them not to?

Old 04-15-2011, 11:30 AM

17,803 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
"You realize that it takes more faith to believe that we came from pond scum than to believe that God created us."
With the difference being that you don't have to have "faith" to have demonstrable evidence that pond scum actually exists. The same cannot be said for God.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,818,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Actually got into a heated discussion with a friend of mine about this.

If it wasn't for religion we would have no morals.

It just amazes me how many people actually believe this.
We get our morals from SOCIETY! Not GOD or BUDDHA or any other religion.

And this was the point I got to make after he finally let me get a word in.
At the dawn of man we were nomads. Foraging for food.
Then man realized: "Hey... if we stay in one place and work together, we can have more resources! Let's hunt. let's gather!"
"And hey! Since the more able bodies we have, the more resources we will be able to accumulate, let's NOT kill each other! And hey! Since we are all working together here... how about if we DON'T STEAL FROM EACH OTHER! We will work towards the common good!"

and then they said "Hey... what is that loud booming from the sky that seems to drop water from above? It must be a god!"

Society created morals. Man created religion.

Just had to post that somewhere. Thanks for "listening."
Just so long as Christians realize their rules are directly decended from prior cultures and religions and those from even earlier cultures and religions. I hate it when Christians operate under the assumption they are the beginning and the end.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:10 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
The person that should be feared is the one the believes without the lunacy of believing in some sky creature that they would be immoral, held in check only the the fantasy of some deity.

Or worse, exhibits the morals of that god, you know the one that ordered baby boys to be chopped up, killed 99.9999% of all life on the planet. Fortunately the last in that position, the bible beating buffoon Bush was such an incompetent fool he was only able to manage to get 2 wars started, when he really wanted to conquer every muslim country, or at least all of them that are sitting on oil reserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism