Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Abrahamic religion do you like the most overall?
Christianity 16 43.24%
Islam 5 13.51%
Judaism 16 43.24%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 11:11 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times

Advertisements

Sorry...stiff competition for last place..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 11:12 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenceDad View Post
Please try to still answer the questions/poll.

Just pretend that YOU have to pick one. There should be at least one religion that you *feel* is overall or slightly better than the other.
No I will not pretend anything. I stand by my original statement. I admire none of those religions equally.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Please try to still answer the questions/poll.

Just pretend that YOU have to pick one. There should be at least one religion that you *feel* is overall or slightly better than the other.

Sorry, but I doubt you'll get this group to conform. We're atheists and agnostics for a reason, and most of us don't admire any religion. Many of us simply tolerate it, to varying degrees. Quite a few feel the world would be better off without it.

What is the purpose of this poll?

And why do you focus on those three religions? There are plenty of other religions out there.

This whole thread just strikes me as weird. Ironic, considering that on another thread I just defended volunteer firefighters going through town playing holiday music with Santa on the truck.

And no, that is not favoring Christianity. That is simply not being a whiny, cry-baby pee-pants Scrooge.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
The IRONY is we should NOT follow the real-life example these 3 faiths are setting in middle east. These countries seem to be lousy neighbors. I tend to look at what people do, not the noble ideas they say they believe in.

Back in the US, as long as the neighbors
(a) understand we live in a democracy and respect church-state wall
(b) leave me alone and are not "god's little warriors"

...I can live with any of the 3 or a host of others not mentioned in this abrahamic-centric list.

The jews of this world are not going to disappear, neither are muslims, christians, hindus, etc..

So, we all need to live and let live. With these rules in place, I could not care at all what religion someone is.

Last edited by calmdude; 12-18-2011 at 11:43 AM..

Old 12-18-2011, 11:31 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,445,334 times
Agree with this being a weird thread.

Some lame agenda behind it?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Perhaps a better question would have been:

If you have to live near a Theist, which would you prefer to live near?

1. A Jew
2. A Christian
3, A Muslim
A Jew, because they don't try to convert people.

Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,738,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Agree with this being a weird thread.

Some lame agenda behind it?
More than likely

Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:
Non-believers/Atheists/Agnostics:

Which Abrahamic religion do you admire the most? Why?

`If you were about to convert for any reason, which one would it be?
(Please pick one even if you will never do it anyway)

` Muhammed or Jesus Christ? Which main religious person do you feel like is overall better leader of the religion? Why?

` Which one has better holidays/culture/tradition?

` Would you rather live next to church, synagogue or mosque?

***PLEASE FALLOW CITY-DATA RULES***
How bizarre.

I do not admire any of the Abrahamic religions. They are all superstitious, misogynistic control mechanisms.

Asking which one I would convert to if forced (as per your later post) is silly. Under those circumstances I guess that I would play at converting to the one chosen by my oppressor, but I would certainly not believe it, nor would I do anything but the most minimal lip service.

Mohammed and Jesus are both monsters, so I would say that neither is a better leader. It is a bit like saying do you think that Pol Pot or Idi Amin was the better leader of his country.

Holidays, culture and tradition are also meaningless to ask about unless you specify what type of follower you are talking about. Fundamentalist Christians, Hasidic Jews, and fundamentalist Moslems are all terrible, and use the traditions and holidays in a negative way. Liberal followers of all three religions observe their traditions very differently from the conservative crew. I guess that I would be ok with any of the liberal variations.

As for living next to a church, etc, again this is meaningless without knowing more details. A megachurch with no parking, messing up the neighborhood several times/week? No thank you. A synagogue in a heavily Jewish neighborhood where they expect places to close down on Saturday? Again, no. A mosque that broadcasts prayers 5x/day. No.

But one of the standard, underutilized, mostly ignored buildings that you can ignore except for the fact that they suck the community dry due to their property tax exemption? I really don't care, and can see two of the three from my house.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:55 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,256 times
Judaism. It has a wonderful history. Also, no Christ (I was raised a Roman Catholic and even as a child I was unable to honestly believe what Christ was supposed to be -which made me feel terribly guilty back then!-), no Muhammad, no proselytizing and I find the Talmud fascinating. Some beautiful rituals and their sense of communal life.

I quite like pacifist Christians too, and Quakers in particular.

However, obviously I wouldn't convert because I'm an atheist, so it's more a matter of staring from a distance and thinking that some look more interesting (to me) than others.

Last edited by noela; 12-18-2011 at 01:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2011, 01:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
None of the above, for they are all based on absurdities and all cause man to commit atrocities.

This is tantamount to asking which fatal disease do you like, or what is your favorite deadly poison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism