Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 06:55 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,374,746 times

Advertisements

Originally written by me for the Atheist Ireland Blog Site

Pouring myself like a mildly solid liquid out of the car I returned yesterday from the tiring but moving Atheist Alliance International Conference in Köln. AAI once again put on a great conference. The organisers picked what normally is a music venue which afforded us with a healthy mix of good acoustics and seating in the conference area and an on site restaurant and beer garden in the sun for in between and after the sessions.

Although from my opinion the talks fed a little bit of red meat to the lions of atheism, maybe a bit too much affirming what atheists already mostly knew or wanted to hear, most of the talks were highly moving and evocative.

Leo Igwe atheist and Humanist spoke about leaving the Seminary his parents had put him. He was seeking time to think and doing so led him to become an atheist and humanist activist. He spoke of the hardships he himself suffered because of this choice as people and governments attacked him directly and indirectly through his family and friends. Even showing up and beating his father at one point so badly that he lost an eye. He spoke of some of the main passions of his mission such as saving children accused of witchcraft who were sold into sexual slavery for their crimes. He spoke angrily about the crimes he witnessed against humanity but always with a touch of his passion for the joy of life, joy of living and joy OF the living for whom he fights so hard. Talking to him myself in the beer garden afterwards I found that despite his long fight and ongoing adversity he still had a laugh so full of life and joy and infectiousness that it could reduce people within 20 metres to laughter even if they had not heard the joke.

Taslima Nasrin spoke of her "life" in Bangladesh... if such an experience could be called a life when you are born into religious chattelhood and considered inferior solely for the crime of being female in a society... before having to flee from there for speaking out on issues of human rights, humanism and feminism. Now living in New Delhi she speaks of her experience as being a woman without a home who wants to campaign for human rights but also wants nothing more than to speak her own language in her own country with her own friends but no longer can do so. Her experiences reflect much of what Salman Rushdie experienced with people putting a price in their own name on her head. While governments watched on condemning the novels instead of those calling for cold blooded murder and violence.

The most moving parts of the conference however did not occur on stage but between sessions as powerful relationships were formed, rekindled and brought together. Nasrin met a Pakistani doctor in the audience whose story of serving 3 years in a Pakistani prison for the imaginary crime of Blasphemy moved her so much that she brought him to the stage at the end of her talk and they shared a moving and tearful embrace on stage as she petitioned AAI organisers to have him tell his tale in a future conference.

Dan Barker a former preacher himself had much to say to Igwe around the beer garden as they compared stories of escaping the industry and making the journey to free thinking. Dan pressed a signed copy of his own book on the subject into Igwe's hands who spent the rest of the day clutching it protectively as if it were a precious baby. I hope he enjoys it as much as I intend to and I have done something I rarely do and moved Barkers book quite a few slots up my now 200 strong "to read" book list. Normally I refuse to do this as since I am one of those "atheists" who actually does read books by theists rather than just the atheist stuff, if I did allow myself that pleasure I would likely move the atheists book up and the theist ones down and never get to them. So I try to hold true to the order the books appeared on my list when recommended by respectable sources.

The conference overall defied to me the straw man I hear so often from theists about the atheist movement... that we all just sit around talking about no god all the time and quoting our own religious leaders like Dawkins. The exact opposite of this was the case and not only did I fail to hear a single quote or reference to Dawkins or Hitchens.... what I found these people to be were highly motivated, highly compassionate people focused on the well being of fellow humans to the point that each had a life story to tell of hardship and adversity punctuated by love, hope and ideals. Stories that moved one to the certainty that if any of the many people who do want to see the likes of Barker, Myers, Nasrin and Igwe dead were to enter the room at that moment that there would not be the slightest hesitation of stepping between them and ensuring they had to go through you first. And this for no other reason than it is the right thing to do... and not because we are promised some after life of bliss, sexual exploits with multiple virgins, or milk and honey to press to our lips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Fine post, very well written. I can't help noticing the undercurrent of the focus of the conference on what's wrong about religion - not even what's untrue about it, but what's wrong with it.

It underlines.........there! my discovery that atheism exists only to push back against religion and its influence until it ceases to be a threat and a nuisance. And then it won't be needed anymore - at least not the organized militancy won't be needed. Hopefully, once people have come to their senses, they will stay there.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:55 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Thanks for the report old chap!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:55 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
So is "Contemporary Atheist" music as bad as it's Christian counterpart?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 AM

Whether rock, Jazz or classical. the subject matter seems to prefer 'Lurve' or 'dahncin'. Some stuff about nature or our urban environment coming up behind that.

It is encouraging that rock at least has a rather small amount of religious content (whereas classical composers couldn't leave the stuff alone) so the organizers of atheist/humanist raves don't need to screen the band's material before permitting them to play.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:23 AM

Music? Not a lot was played at the conference. It was held in a music venue but that does not mean there was much music

Dan Barker did get up and lash a few songs out on the piano though which was entertaining. He is quite good.

Funnily though the guy I drove to the conference with me did put on an atheist album called.... imaginatively "An atheist Album" by a girl called Shelley Segal. It was not bad. Kind of atheist lyrics mixed with Ani difranco angst and punctuated with some different strum styles from rock to reggae. Other than that we mostly listened to Tom Lehrer, Monty Python and Tim Minchin... all of which should be on the music shelves of any self respecting atheist :-)

Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,917,890 times
Default Great Read, Nozz! Thanks!

Nice summary; v. enjoyable. I surely wish that I could have dropped on over, but hey; that 4000 mile cross-country drive, followed by the 2 weeks living in the cab and bed of my F350 pickup crewcab truck down in the "storage hold" in that tramp steamer, with the ratz gnawing at my pre-stored McDonald' burgers (with frys; the Real Meal Dealâ„¢, understand...)! That would have tried even my patience.

Seriously, how wonderful to be in the pleasant & non-combative company of others who are of like spirit and conclusion! I think you mentioned a Beer Garden several times!! It all makes me very jealous!

Thanks for the report!

Oh yeah; just curious: any protestors or placards outside the presentation proclaiming "You will burn in HELL!" alá The Westboro Baptist Church minions?

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Oh yeah; just curious: any protestors or placards outside the presentation proclaiming "You will burn in HELL!" alá The Westboro Baptist Church minions?
Not this year. The one in Dublin last year which I helped organise and run however did have a contingent of Armani suit clad Muslims show up trying to accost Dawkins and Myers.

It did not go well for them. Their leader tried to claim to Myers that the Koran was scientific and, for example, explained fetal development. They were a little aghast to learn Myers was a biologist and he asked them exactly what their Koran claimed. He then explained in detail how embryology actually works and that the Koran had it almost exactly wrong/backwards.

Days later these Muslims posted the video of the encounter but they cut all of it except the bit where they claimed that the Koran was scientific and explained Embryology. For obvious reasons they did not show Myers reply.

I have no sound at this PC but I _think_ this is the full uncut encounter here and part 2 here. If memory serves there is a wonderful bit... though it might be a different video... where their leader "Hamza" says that even when the Koran is wrong it is right. Entertaining stuff indeed, or it would be if these people were not so numerous and dangerously deluded.

Old 05-30-2012, 07:17 AM

Thanks for that! This is turning out to be good thread.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:53 AM

A bit longer than my own review but I just found quite a long entry reviewing the conference here if anyone is interested in hearing more. For those who like to skim there is pictures too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism