Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:57 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts

Advertisements

Does this bother or upset any of the atheists on here? If you read some of the comments on another clip people hate this guy with a religous passion.

First, let me say that some of his antics I don't like but not because he makes fun of an atheist, other stuff I find hilarious.

Second, most of the stuff comedians talk about are things they never really experience or they hyperbolize for the sake of the joke/show.

Third, this guy, even if he believes in a God is certainly no Fundi.

Fourth, I thought that his making fun of him was because of his attitude not that he was anatheist per-se and that is why he wished for the punch-line.

What say you? Why do some atheist take this guy to task as if he were arguing for Theism?

WARNING! FOUL LANGUAGE!

Dane Cook - vicious circle - The Atheist - YouTube

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 08-30-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 08:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
I've seen that show before, it was hilarious until the violence. Theists are very emotional and violent. Much like Satan, Voldemort, and Yosemite Sam. Although Dane Cook likely mistook or hyperboled the atheist's position for some "plant soul reincarnation" belief instead, it was still funny. Perhaps instead of Angry lumberjack sadism, a dog lifting his leg and peeing on the tree might have sent the same message of comically vengeful hate without the violence.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:48 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
I've seen that show before, it was hilarious until the violence. Theists are very emotional and violent. Much like Satan, Voldemort, and Yosemite Sam. Although Dane Cook likely mistook or hyperboled the atheist's position for some "plant soul reincarnation" belief instead, it was still funny. Perhaps instead of Angry lumberjack sadism, a dog lifting his leg and peeing on the tree might have sent the same message of comically vengeful hate without the violence.
But that is kinda the point - when you are a comedian it is the punch-line that is important not telling a factual story - heck the story is probably not even true. People start to argue over him misinterpreting the intent of this 'character' in the story is ironic to say the least - particualrly from atheists.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
I find this hilarious, even the last part. I wish more theists would denounce some atheists in this manner...accurately. Enough with all the stupid people who make random things up like non-theists don't have a problem with people saying "God bless you," to them because of a subconscious belief in a god. Accurate criticism is fine. In fact I find it quite entertaining. I also think Dane Cook is being a little defensive towards religion, which is good, coming from a religious person. That implies he cares about his viewpoint or people who share it.

Last edited by Clintone; 08-30-2012 at 11:55 PM..

Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
I don't hate it or him. I don't particularly like his style of humor though. I prefer George Carlin

George Carlin - Arrogance of mankind - YouTube

Old 08-31-2012, 12:14 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
I like Dane Cook's video. I laugh at the jokes in the video for the exact same reason I laugh at the atheist joke thread. He made realistic criticisms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism