Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:30 AM

377 posts, read 576,069 times

Advertisements

Since last year and the introduction of the Common English Bible (Lingua Franca) which I love, I find that it makes people angry here in the USA even in neighborhood discussions about black people and white people. They think I'm a troll because I say that all blacks and whites should use the same Christian Bible. For me as a Jew, I couldn't afford to live in Jewish neighborhoods all my life. So I've lived in black neighborhoods and white neighborhoods but always Jesus neighborhoods. I've never seen the difference between them. Even as a child because they both agreed about hating Jews.

In fact, that's why Hollywood came to be. According to what I learned, Edison refused to allow Jews to use his movie making patents so they created Hollywood. The reason he didn't is because of Yiddish theater and the fact that Yiddish theater also brought into the USA delightful black culture. At least that's how I saw it on a documentary back in the early 1990's with my first intro to cable TV. Just happened to be the first program I saw. I see religion as influencing real estate market.

Suddenly, when asked to explain myself as not being a troll, I realize that I don't know if there are separation by color of Atheists. Wouldn't atheists also be interested in uniting Christianity behind one Bible like the Lingua Franca Common English Bible.

Think about it, 95% of the voting USA public are Christians. So simply unite all the
Christians with the Bible collection that has the most Bible books in it. As a very slow Hebrew reader, it translates the Hebrew Bible exactly like I do. I can forgive the hype and Christian politics in this Bible, because it is the most scientific and user friendly translation that I know of for Anglo type people like myself. When we sing the National Anthem it should be with a mug of English beer in our hands.

Is there such a thing as black atheist neighborhoods and white atheist neighborhoods? I know for a fact that most of real estate in the USA is concerned with Christian white and black neighborhoods. It's part of my USA autobio. Shelter is one of the basic human needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 04:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
The perception had changed on race massively since I was a kid. For me, recent discoveries about an African and undoubtedly black origin of humans had a profound effect on my viewpoint. Oddly, the Olympics and paralympics have changed the perception of blacks as well as as physically impaired. They win us medals it is not 'them' but 'us', as it should have been long ago.

As regards atheism, it in undeniable that Caribbean blacks are bolstering religion in the Uk, but that's a cultural thing. Now, I have been posting for a while I wouldn't like to make any assumptions about what fleshtone or gender any particular poster might be.

I do hope that's making all the right noises. It's one of the Commandments of Athe, 'Thou Shalt Be Politically correct..'

Old 09-15-2012, 04:46 AM

248 posts, read 754,606 times
I think alot of the country is integrating and we are getting rid of ethnic neighborhoods in favor of economic neighborhoods where religion and race aren't important but what is , can you afford the neighborhood . It's the way it's supposed to be

Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,838 times
As an atheist, I could not care less about whether all Christians use the same Bible or not.

I don't know of any atheist neighborhoods period, much less atheist neighborhoods that are segregated by race.

Why would we drink English beer while singing the National Anthem? Wouldn't we rather drink American beer?

The color of one's skin (the amount of melatonin in one's skin) is most likely a product of evolution related to the production of Vitamin D in the skin as a function of how much exposure to direct sunlight one's ancestors typically received throughout the year. As for other personality/intelligence traits, there are greater differences between individuals of the same race than there are between the means of any pair of races. For example, the difference in say intelligence between the most and least intelligent Caucasian is greater than the difference between the average intelligence of Caucasians and the average intelligence of any other race. This means there is a lot of overlap. As a side note, IQ tests are known to be very biased towards the culture that designed them. Culture matters a whole lot more than race.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnietspingal View Post
They think I'm a troll because I say that all blacks and whites should use the same Christian Bible.
You are not a troll. You are just a busybody interferring in things that are none of your concern

Quote:
Wouldn't atheists also be interested in uniting Christianity behind one Bible like the Lingua Franca Common English Bible.
Why?

Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,528,229 times
Wait, I'm sorry, do American blacks and whites use different bibles right now? I'm not from the US. I assumed that bible translations perhaps varied by denomination (Baptist, Catholic etc.), not race. How does race effect choice of bible translation, and what is this lingua franca bible all about?

Also, I don't think atheists segregate into neighbourhoods.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:38 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,204,354 times
Lunacy like claiming that 95% of American voters are Christian aside, I'll address this:

Quote:
Suddenly, when asked to explain myself as not being a troll, I realize that I don't know if there are separation by color of Atheists. Wouldn't atheists also be interested in uniting Christianity behind one Bible like the Lingua Franca Common English Bible.
Why on earth would an atheist care who uses what bible? ALL "holy" books are useless to us for anything other than purposes of literature or a class in comparative religion.

As for the color of someone's skin, it is, and should be, irrelevant.

Old 09-16-2012, 11:40 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Wait, I'm sorry, do American blacks and whites use different bibles right now? I'm not from the US. I assumed that bible translations perhaps varied by denomination (Baptist, Catholic etc.), not race. How does race effect choice of bible translation, and what is this lingua franca bible all about?

Also, I don't think atheists segregate into neighbourhoods.
Like you I can't think of a reason why different races would have different Bibles, unless they edit them. To edit the word of 'God' to fit their own opinions and to leave out what they don't like I assume... What a shocking thought!

For some reason I thought variations of the King James Bible was the standard and accepted version. Oh well, shows how much attention I pay to religious fiction.

Also like 'hiker 45' mentioned, why would atheists particularly care what Bible Christians related to, unless it had in an admission that religion was bunk and atheists were right all along of course.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:52 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,117,125 times
I don’t care what a persons skin color is.

As far as all Christians using the same bible.
They should all use the Jefferson bible.

Old 09-16-2012, 04:24 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,556,977 times
Suddenly: What Do Atheists Think About the Color of Human Skin?

Speaking only for myself, I don't tend to think about it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism