Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,726 times

Advertisements

Sorry...couldn't resist the pun.

Seriously though...I am SO thankful that there are so many atheists in the world. It's positively scary that there are actually people who still believe in God. It's only the knowledge that there are plenty of other atheists like myself that keeps me from completely freaking out.

It's a bizarre world...here in 2009, with all we've learned and grown to understand...to think there are still people who refuse to evolve out of the dark ages and reject the mythology of "God".

Just my Monday afternoon musings. Feel free to add any of your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 02:03 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
Yes, the dichotomy between nuclear weapons and primitive supernatural beliefs is amazing and dangerous. Some fool with access to nukes and fanatical faith in a religion will probably be the death of us all.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,856 times
In reality we're not that far away from the dark ages. Considering the age of the universe, recorded history is basically yesterday.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:13 PM

4,655 posts, read 5,069,504 times
It's the atheists with big armies that have caused the most pain. I'd much rather have a Christian be the one standing by the button.

Having said that, it's because of you guys that God's glory is and will be shown by saving the Christians--so yeah--thank God for the atheists.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:17 PM

That's a big stretch to say that all athiests are that evil. If you want someone next to the button I'd much rather have a rational person there than someone who thinks they hear voices ready to commit divinely inspired mass murder.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:18 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,520,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
Sorry...couldn't resist the pun.

Seriously though...I am SO thankful that there are so many atheists in the world. It's positively scary that there are actually people who still believe in God. It's only the knowledge that there are plenty of other atheists like myself that keeps me from completely freaking out.

It's a bizarre world...here in 2009, with all we've learned and grown to understand...to think there are still people who refuse to evolve out of the dark ages and reject the mythology of "God".

Just my Monday afternoon musings. Feel free to add any of your thoughts.

thanks, for allowing the freedom..

i do appreciate them for good conversations, which would keep the economy going .... stupid cupid, i would guess!

Old 05-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
That's a big stretch to say that all athiests are that evil. If you want someone next to the button I'd much rather have a rational person there than someone who thinks they hear voices ready to commit divinely inspired mass murder.

But it's at least as big of a stretch to suggest that the religious are evil just because they're religious.

I'd rather have someone that is held to a moral standard than one that bases his morals on whatever society tells him is ok.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:22 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post
It's the atheists with big armies that have caused the most pain. I'd much rather have a Christian be the one standing by the button.

Having said that, it's because of you guys that God's glory is and will be shown by saving the Christians--so yeah--thank God for the atheists.
I'd out of sheer curiosity like to know how many atheists have been the cause of war compared to religion. (any religion). The only one I can think of is Hitler. But he was obsessed with a religous group.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdbrich View Post

I'd rather have someone that is held to a moral standard than one that bases his morals on whatever society tells him is ok.

Um, that's what morals are! It's a group consensus. We don't walk around naked in the US but they do in the rainforest. Are they wrong? You subscribe to your groups morals and I subscride to mine. There are a few universal ones that all groups share but once you start getting away from those beliefs, that is where you allow your morals, for lack of a better word, to be corrupted. It's not ok to kill, but if you think god is telling you to kill for a holy cause then it's ok and moral.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:30 PM

Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism