Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:46 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Before we get Colosus riled up, we should note that, while not an atheist, Hitler probably wasn't a Catholic either. Not by the time he was doing the really crazy stuff, anyway.

This topic comes up from time to time. I think the settled on answer is that Hitler vascilated between pagan and generic Christian beliefs, but he was not into much that a Catholic person would recognize as their own faith.
Huh. So was he an atheist or not? I have always been taught that he was. Even in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:54 PM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Huh. So was he an atheist or not? I have always been taught that he was. Even in school.

polite question: who - outside, and perhaps apart from school - taught you?

Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
Check out this link, then you decide.

Nazi photos

Old 05-19-2009, 01:12 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
Quote:
Hitler was not an atheist.

But that doesn't automatically make him a Catholic.

He started out Catholic, then backed out of it, and by the time he died he was into some mix of Christian and Pagan beliefs, that there's no standard name for.

That's my understanding of the situation.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 AM

4,511 posts, read 7,518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Check out this link, then you decide.

Nazi photos
thank you, sanspeur. imho, this site should not be used to justify a sweeping statement with the sole purpose to discredit the rcc alone.

alice miller, an internationally acclaimed swiss psychoanylist, for one, has researched hitler's childhood (which earned her much hostility from various quarters) and thus given an insight into the zeitgeist which i regard as very necessary and useful.

so far this is leading away from original topic.

the nazi ideology was IMHO a brew of survival needs and self-aggrandization within germany's chaotic political party leadership (weimar republic),
ruthlessly whipping up emotional support against so-called volksschädlinge (= parasites).

with a people very downtrodden already (from ww1 and the 1929 economic crisis, to name but 2 reasons), the churches might have been strong by numbers only, but certainly not by intellectual support which would have been crucial.

i would urge anyone arguing these matters to consider not only the crudest facts, but also the inner workings of a society.

http://www.naturalchild.com/alice_mi...lf_hitler.html

sorry for the digression.

Last edited by effie g-tad; 05-19-2009 at 03:56 AM..

Old 05-19-2009, 05:29 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,400,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by effie briest View Post
polite question: who - outside, and perhaps apart from school - taught you?
Church of course!

Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,939,060 times
Where the hell did the idea that Hitler was an atheist come from? I've heard that claim about a million times. The ignorance never stops and people like kdbrich will no doubt continue to spout that nonsense to others over and over again.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Does it really matter whether Hitler was a Christian or an atheist? Both are plenty likely to have serious mental problems, do good or bad things, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:39 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,754,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
Before we get Colosus riled up, we should note that, while not an atheist, Hitler probably wasn't a Catholic either. Not by the time he was doing the really crazy stuff, anyway.

This topic comes up from time to time. I think the settled on answer is that Hitler vascilated between pagan and generic Christian beliefs, but he was not into much that a Catholic person would recognize as their own faith.
Riiiight. Which is why he had the Vatican in his pocket, and they repeatedly gave him the wink-wink-nod of papal approval.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:03 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,502,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
Riiiight. Which is why he had the Vatican in his pocket, and they repeatedly gave him the wink-wink-nod of papal approval.

Even if true, how would that make him a Catholic? After all, Catholics are in the Vatican's pocket, not the other way around.

I don't think Hitler's personal belief were consistent with Catholic ideology. I don't think Hitler viewed the Pope as having any sort of authority over him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism