Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:21 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,530,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icametodropbombs View Post
I hear some atheists from time to time look at the huge monies coming into the major churches and shake their head at all the non-taxable funds going towards... well, whatever churches spend their monies on. Some churches are on huge chunks real estate (some of that property in quite valuable areas) and see how they don't pay tax for that either. And in some cases, one might observe somewhat grandiose expendatures by the church on what certianly appear to be extravagant items. Therefore, it is their conclusion that the churches at large ought to be taxed like any other business.

And while this sounds all fine and dandy on the face of it, one must consider: by allowing the church to be taxed, are they then not allowed to openly donate (undoubtedly) vast sums of money in political races? Sure, churches probably already do this to a degree, but don't you think that if they were legally allowed to, they'd be dropping some serious coin each election and buying up (and thereby pushing through) the candidates and propositions they deem worthy? And it would seem reasonable that said candidates and propositions would not be in favor or atheistic values, I would agrue.

Thoughts?
You know, Icametodropbombs, I'm somewhat an advocate of taxing churches, especially since I live in an upscale suburb that has many opulent church buildings. But your post really got me thinking! You've made a good point; "Be careful what you wish for"... Taxing churches would definitely give them the ability to participate in the political process (more than they do already...) and that might be a REAL problem for the rest of us that don't share their world view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 07:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,070,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
You know, Icametodropbombs, I'm somewhat an advocate of taxing churches, especially since I live in an upscale suburb that has many opulent church buildings. But your post really got me thinking! You've made a good point; "Be careful what you wish for"... Taxing churches would definitely give them the ability to participate in the political process (more than they do already...) and that might be a REAL problem for the rest of us that don't share their world view.
However it would give an identity to the donors. In today's world the pressure is on for the churches to entice the members to donate to political causes. This makes it difficult to find how much a particular church is supporting a political issue.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,063,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
No it won't. They're already participating in the political process to the best of their unjesus-like abilities to deny Caesar what is Caesar's.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times
~80% of Americans are Christians, and those 80% pay federal/state income taxes, property taxes, sales tax, etc. then why do we have to keep our religion to "ourselves" just to make tiny minority happy?!

Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
~80% of Americans are Christians, and those 80% pay federal/state income taxes, property taxes, sales tax, etc. then why do we have to keep our religion to "ourselves" just to make tiny minority happy?!
Religious beliefs are supposed to be personal. When you project this on others as is the current modus operandi of churches and their injection into the GOP, you get the inane comments of justified rape and others that the populace rejected en masse. Rational people do not share your beliefs.

80% are xian huh? I call BS. Folk self identify on a census or poll as xian but that is as far as it goes. You lot repeatedly play the no true Scotsman fallacy, that person/church does not represent christianity et al. The numbers of devout xians in likely less that 10%, where I stay it is less than 5% and we too have the similar "stats" of 78%.

But is is great to keep you folk talking and projecting. Like the elections you will lead to your own demise.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:25 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Interesting that the atheist team has loaned 3 million or so more than the Christian team on Kiva

Kiva - Loans that change lives
Yes, and most of us regardless of God or church give weekly at the supermarket now.

Way back in the day when the church helped all the down trot-en, the church was also that town centers government, they dictated politics and the way you lead your life. They are separate now and church isn't the major aid giver here. It should pay taxes for those buildings and purchases that aren't charity. Charity can be forgiven just like I forgive it when I donate. No biggie.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:26 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You're dreaming hun, wake up.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:44 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,424,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Err . . . Troop "Congress may make no law respecting the establishment of religion or the free exercise thereof." Tax law is law respecting the exercise of religious "donations" declaring them income to be taxed. Sorry . . . a No, No.
Or put the other way NOT taxing them is giving religious specific excemption which also breaks the idea of "Make no law respecting religion" rule. Religion should have NOTHING to do with the conversation at all. Instead the institutions in questions should be evaluated to see whether they fall under the purview of "Business Tax Law" or "Charity Tax Law" and then and only then should we work out what, if anything, to tax them.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:35 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,585,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
You're dreaming hun, wake up.
You are. Atheists are minority everywhere anyway

Old 11-20-2012, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 3,756 times
Tax the[mod]delete[/mod. Religion is already in politics in the form of being used as justification for banning abortion, contraception, stem-cell research, gay marriage, teaching evolution and other valid truths, etc.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-22-2012 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: insulting language {bastards}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism