Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,630,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
There is not a single Atheist I have ever debated on the subject of Christianity that can maintain logical thinking. At some point they will embrace fallacies in attempt to forward their argument. I'm far superior Christian debater than anyone I know and anyone you ever met.
Sorry, but no. You're not. You're average at best. Same bag of tricks as most Christians - make vague, sweeping declarations, and then when people challenge those statements, you say, "no, you're wrong, because I'm smarter than you are." That's not debating, and it's certainly nothing we haven't seen before from countless other Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 11:23 AM

273 posts, read 211,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Sorry, but no. You're not. You're average at best. Same bag of tricks as most Christians - make vague, sweeping declarations, and then when people challenge those statements, you say, "no, you're wrong, because I'm smarter than you are." That's not debating, and it's certainly nothing we haven't seen before from countless other Christians.
I just make a distinction between arguing and debating and when I exercise that distinction it tends to make those in the arguing camp a bit infuriated.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:36 AM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Quote:
Strawman
Moderator cut: Removing references to vaccinations.

Face it, you've got nothing - nothing but delusional beliefs in an angry desert god and, apparently, way too much free time if you actually think your laughable posts in a forum devoted to skeptics are worth anything to anyone.

I'll say it again - you're one of the worst excuses for a debater I've ever seen. Grow up.

Last edited by mensaguy; 06-15-2015 at 04:41 AM.. Reason: Cleaning up

Old 06-14-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Article by a lawyer? Albany Law Journal of Science & Technology?

From the critique included in the article.
The quote I provided was from the: National Academy of Science Institute of Medicine (IOM) Immunization Safety Committee

Old 06-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
That doesn't square with the bold, below:

Almost all kids then alive got vaccinated for polio during that time frame, so almost everyone supposedly has/will have cancer?
I don't know where you get the "almost everyone" statistic at? Can you quote that from what I presented?

Old 06-14-2015, 12:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
^^I can't find any old stats. I was, however, alive then. This vaccine was a train-stopper! Everyone wanted it for their kids. It became part of the routine immunization schedule shortly after it was released in 1955. Federal assistance began for immunizations then, too, so people could afford it.
Historic Dates and Events Related to Vaccines and Immunization

Old 06-14-2015, 12:56 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
^^I can't find any old stats. I was, however, alive then. This vaccine was a train-stopper! Everyone wanted it for their kids. It became part of the routine immunization schedule shortly after it was released in 1955. Federal assistance began for immunizations then, too, so people could afford it.
Historic Dates and Events Related to Vaccines and Immunization
No kidding. If you saw the people with polio in Iron Lungs, you know why everyone wanted to be vaccinated. People who live now when these diseases have been eradicated in the first world countries have no idea.

The Man in the Iron Lung

Last Updated: Dec 1, 2014

Quote:
Polio victim and attorney Paul Alexander has created a life for himself despite 61 years spent in an 'infernal device'
Quote:
Alexander, 67, is a victim of the worst that polio had to offer children in the late 1940s and early 1950s. At the age of 6, he was completely paralyzed by the disease, his lungs stopped working, and he was literally thrown into an iron lung.

Old 06-14-2015, 12:57 PM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Below is the topic of this thread.

Any further posts about vaccinations, the origin of life, the definition of God, etc., will probably result in infractions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least. If you go on Youtube atheists are always talking about how the Bible is silly and can't be true, how there's no historical Jesus, etc. I feel that a Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Muslim, Sikh, Jain, or Orthodox Jew could follow an atheist TV show and agree with 99% of what the hosts are saying.

I can see why this is psychologically. Most atheists in America are raised in a Protestant Christian culture and actively reject it. Many were formerly Christians themselves and thus understand Christianity the most.

But I wonder why it's uncommon for atheists to talk about how the Qu'ran is a rant of a madman or how Hinduism is a collection of fairy tales or how kosher laws are racist. What about promoting atheism and secular humanism in countries dominated by Islam? There are billions of innocent people: children and women under patriarchy, who are being abused because of religion. Why not fight for their rights? Is it because it's less politically correct to talk about non-Americans and non-Christians? Or is it simply because American atheists feel like they can achieve more in their own country by acting locally, where the people in power are mainly Christian?

Old 06-14-2015, 01:38 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
So do you have a god for the origin of life? I presume you will say no. So this would mean that not ALL men that can't explain something create a god to explain those things they can't explain. Would you agree?
Note Mensai's post. This has to be continued in a tailor-made thread - preferably on R/S.

Old 06-14-2015, 06:03 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
To bring this back on topic before this thread is - hopefully - locked:

Nearly all atheists used to be part of a major religion. Eventually, they reached the point where they could no longer tolerant the often narrow and nonsensical beliefs being foisted upon them, up to and including things that have nothing to do with the religion (bigotry, hatred of science, etc.) So, they left.

Do they hate religion? Some do, some don't - but none of them have any love for people who continue to try to force their own religious beliefs upon others, or people who use "my religion says so!" as an excuse to justify everything from bigotry to ignorance to a refusal to respect anyone else's points of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism