Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 02:01 PM

938 posts, read 1,517,123 times

Advertisements

I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least. If you go on Youtube atheists are always talking about how the Bible is silly and can't be true, how there's no historical Jesus, etc. I feel that a Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Muslim, Sikh, Jain, or Orthodox Jew could follow an atheist TV show and agree with 99% of what the hosts are saying.

I can see why this is psychologically. Most atheists in America are raised in a Protestant Christian culture and actively reject it. Many were formerly Christians themselves and thus understand Christianity the most.

But I wonder why it's uncommon for atheists to talk about how the Qu'ran is a rant of a madman or how Hinduism is a collection of fairy tales or how kosher laws are racist. What about promoting atheism and secular humanism in countries dominated by Islam? There are billions of innocent people: children and women under patriarchy, who are being abused because of religion. Why not fight for their rights? Is it because it's less politically correct to talk about non-Americans and non-Christians? Or is it simply because American atheists feel like they can achieve more in their own country by acting locally, where the people in power are mainly Christian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 02:46 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,551,318 times
Probably because christians are the only ones trying to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and other religions don't.

BTW, Buddhism is not a religion as there is no diety.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:57 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,388,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Probably because christians are the only ones trying to shove their beliefs down everyone's throats, and other religions don't.
^^^Good point! I've never had a member from any other religion bother me, try to recruit me, belittle, scoff or disrespect me.

Although I have to say I don't actually "hate" Christians or Christianity (my sister is a minister). I just don't agree with it and it just serves no purpose in my life.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:03 PM

526 posts, read 692,853 times
Atheists have an aversion for religion in general.
Atheists living in countries dominated by the Christian church they naturally hate Christianity more than other religions (especially when the state makes them pay the salaries of the clergy men )
Atheists living in Islamic countries dare not speak against religion and as regards kosher laws, they are torturing the theists not the atheists.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:07 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,215,422 times
I don't hate Christianity. I hate what certain so-called "Christians" do with it.

And I'll say the same thing about Islam and Muslims and Judaism and Jews. It just so happens that in the U.S., there are more who claim Christianity than any other religion, but you can be assured that I would sooner put a bullet in my own head than live in any Muslim theocracy.

Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,945,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usuario View Post
I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least. If you go on Youtube atheists are always talking about how the Bible is silly and can't be true, how there's no historical Jesus, etc. I feel that a Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Muslim, Sikh, Jain, or Orthodox Jew could follow an atheist TV show and agree with 99% of what the hosts are saying.

I can see why this is psychologically. Most atheists in America are raised in a Protestant Christian culture and actively reject it. Many were formerly Christians themselves and thus understand Christianity the most.

But I wonder why it's uncommon for atheists to talk about how the Qu'ran is a rant of a madman or how Hinduism is a collection of fairy tales or how kosher laws are racist. What about promoting atheism and secular humanism in countries dominated by Islam? There are billions of innocent people: children and women under patriarchy, who are being abused because of religion. Why not fight for their rights? Is it because it's less politically correct to talk about non-Americans and non-Christians? Or is it simply because American atheists feel like they can achieve more in their own country by acting locally, where the people in power are mainly Christian?
I think that we can only promote secular humanism in our own countries. Since I am in the US, it is Christianity that gets the brunt of the argument. My dil is Hindu, btw, and it certainly is a collection of fairy tales, but her dad and mom have never asked us to convert to there views. I do feel bad when my daughter's dad decides to give up meat in order to purify himself to ask Ganesha to cure his grandson of autism. It won't work any better than Christian prayers, but it's his life and he does not ask us to do this, only does it himself. Islam is also a collection of crazy fairy tales with a bias toward oppressing women, so I would like to see that go the way of all religions, but I don't have much influence in Islamic countries. I do think that Muslims who live in the west are becoming more secularized and more tolerant which is a good thing.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:53 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,194,338 times
Quote:
Do atheists hate Christianity more than other religions? I feel like it sure seems that way in North America at least. If you go on Youtube atheists are always talking about how the Bible is silly and can't be true, how there's no historical Jesus, etc. I feel that a Hindu, Buddhist, Shinto, Muslim, Sikh, Jain, or Orthodox Jew could follow an atheist TV show and agree with 99% of what the hosts are saying.

I can see where it might appear that way.

I reject all religions due to the fact that no god-things ever existed.

I can state that I have never been harassed, threatened, intimidated or coerced by a Buddhist, nor have I been harmed by Buddhism. However, having said that, I do not view [true] Buddhism as a religion, rather I see it as a philosophy in the same context as Confucianism, Taoism and other Eastern philosophies.

Power-seekers have co-opted and corrupted Buddhism for their own purposes (as is true with all Western religions), but even so, the corrupted Buddhists who drank the Kool-Aid haven't caused me any grief.

At university, I had a lot of contact with Hindus (and Muslims) and even some Sikhs, and they never caused me any grief either. I was invited to a traditional Hindu wedding, which was a wonderful experience.

In addition to the Muslims I worked with at university, which included African Muslims, plus Arabic Muslims, and a Pakistani, and then I was in Turkey twice for about 4-5 weeks each time, and then 6 weeks in Egypt, and then Saudi America, Kuwait and Iraq, and never had a problem. As far as I know, those were all Sunni Muslims and not Shi'a Muslims. There's a mosque on Vine Street just 3 blocks from me. I pass it on my way to Kroger's or the market, and I always greet them in the traditional Muslim Arabic way if they happen to be sitting outside. In warm weather I sit out on my balcony/patio in the mornings drinking coffee, and I can often hear the call to prayer, which is quite pleasing to hear.

I should probably point out that there is a difference between Political Archaeology and Christian Archaeology.

For those who don't understand, there are raging debates that rise to the level of physical altercations (literally). Romania is a good example. What is the basis of the Romanian language? Dacian? Latin? Slavic? A combination? It might seem silly, but politically it is very important.

Egypt is another. The Pyramids at Gizeh and the Sphinx are "crown jewels" -- they're certainly Crowd Symbols -- and to suggest that Egyptians did not build them is heresy. That is entirely politically motivated and has nothing to do with reality (or religion).

Egypt is the oldest continuously existing civilization (or so it is claimed) and what great contributions have the Egyptians have bestowed upon the world?

The falafel, three pyramids and a sphinx.

If you take away the pyramids and the sphinx, then that leaves the falafel as Egypt's crowning achievement.

Not exactly impressive is it? No......you've been on Earth thousands of years and your only contribution is to world cuisine with the falafel.

But in Christian Archaeology, evidence is withheld, skewed, distorted and such in an attempt to crow-bar everything into the Christian world view, and that causes serious harm -- perhaps even irreparable harm -- to everyone.

With respect to Jews, I guess it depends on which Jews. At every opportunity, I used to walk over to Hebrew Union University listening to lectures and participating in discussions. Those happen to be Reformed Jews, rather than the Orthodox, Ultra-Orthodox or Hasidic Jews (or Messianic Jews).

Some of the Dead Sea Scrolls were translated there. I've spoken with those who've worked on translations. Lots of discussions and presentations on Hebrew Archaeology.

My respect for them comes from the fact that they are willing to open their eyes, to examine the evidence critically, and to admit that much of the Old Testament is pure bunk.

I can't speak for others, but that's where I stand.

Explaining...

Mircea

Old 03-14-2013, 05:21 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
Quote:

As an atheist, I don't hate Christianity. I can do without some of your Christians. I don't like being threatened with hell fire. I don't like being told that Satan is working through me. I don't like being bothered at home by people trying to convert me. I especially don't like judgemental, self-righteous Christians wanting to weave their religeous prejudices into law, using the bible as an excuse for bigotry and hate.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,340,289 times
It's hard enough being a secular humanist in North America. I'm not going to go preach it in the Middle East. I'm quite attached to my head, thank you.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,162,649 times
We are an English language board and the English language nations are predominantly Christian, so most of the theist/antitheist conflict which shows up here is going to be Christianity vs disbelief.

I like to think that I am an equal opportunity sort when it comes to contempt for religious beliefs, but I know a great deal more about Christianity than any other religion, so my contempt for it tends to be more specific. If I knew more about other religions, I'm sure my contempt for them would increase, I'd have more material to mock.

Finding plenty to mock about Christianity, I've no motivation to waste time studying the precepts of alternative theologies just to expand my contempt horizons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism