Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2019, 07:54 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Beliefs transmitted through society are memes according to Dawkins and they evolve as humans evolve.
Yes so it seems.
I really ought to read Dawkins The Selfish Gene cover to cover.

Merry Christmas Mystic. Xx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 09:02 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes so it seems.

Merry Christmas, Cruithne. oooxxx

Old 12-30-2019, 05:38 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,904,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes so it seems.

My favorite of his is The God Delusion. As good as Russell, which to me is high praise.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
My favorite of his is The God Delusion. As good as Russell, which to me is high praise.
While I definitely like Dawkin's questioning of religion, I admire his evolutionary work much more - my favorite books of his are The Ancestor's Tale and The Greatest Show on Earth.

People who know him only by his atheism are missing out.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,300 times
Turns out it's already 2020! So Happy New Year everyone!!!

Old 01-01-2020, 08:05 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
In the last century the word 'Gay' became unusable, in its' original sense.
Last decade the word 'wicked' could not be used in its' original sense

The decade before, the word 'Carnage' because distinct from its original meaning, describing mangled metal, rather than meat.

Last year the word 'Perfect' became unusable, other than negatively.

What word, Folks, do you reckon will become unusable in 2020?

Old 01-01-2020, 10:54 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,337,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
In the last century the word 'Gay' became unusable, in its' original sense.
Last decade the word 'wicked' could not be used in its' original sense

The decade before, the word 'Carnage' because distinct from its original meaning, describing mangled metal, rather than meat.

Last year the word 'Perfect' became unusable, other than negatively.

What word, Folks, do you reckon will become unusable in 2020?
Many words are already banned in American Universities:

Crazy, retarded, illegal alien, ghetto, lame. Phrases such as "I want to die" are also not allowed.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:18 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I can't explain it but it's very very stressful. Half the voters still support him, despite all his creepy, narcissistic behavior. I adore Nancy Pelosi and Adam Schiff but the opposition makes fun of them.

It's difficult to separate issues of religion and politics, as required in this forum, because they are so tightly interwoven. Someone good at statistical analysis could evaluate the relationship. All kinds of research suggests a relationship between liberalism and intelligence. It's cognitive ability on a sliding scale, like the widening gap between the haves and the have-nots, long predicted to become increasingly problematic.

It really is that I think. Who's better at language and logic, and the resentment of those who are not. I could be wrong and it's really something else, but I really don't think so. Pelosi is smarter than Trump. He's already talking about arresting her and would if he could. I hope it doesn't come to that. The whole country would become embroiled in conflict.

We still have a free press, his negative remarks notwithstanding. All the Jews I know are terribly frightened, as it feels like the takeover of a Fascist state. Scares the **** out of me, that's for sure.
It is much easier to understand politics in the context of the different competing ideologies and in many ways the same sort of dynamic applies with religion. The differences and/or divides are not so much about who is the least creepy or the smartest, but who is promoting the agenda that suits the followers most.

People simply prefer even a creepy leader that leads in the direction they want to go over a wonderful leader who points in a direction they don't want to go. Simple as that if you ask me and all a lot easier to understand when considered in such a context. What to do about those inclined toward the wrong direction?

Answer to that question is not at all as simple...

Old 01-01-2020, 11:24 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Many words are already banned in American Universities:

Crazy, retarded, illegal alien, ghetto, lame. Phrases such as "I want to die" are also not allowed.
Do you have a link or reference that explains where and why it is not allowed to say "I want to die?"

Good thing I'm in the privacy of my own home when sometimes I say the same thing after reading some of the comments in this forum...

Old 01-01-2020, 11:28 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Good thing I'm in the privacy of my own home when sometimes I say the same thing after reading some of the comments in this forum...
My preferred choice of words is 'shoot me'. Goes down a treat in a busy office environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism