Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2020, 11:41 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzpapalotl View Post
My preferred choice of words is 'shoot me'. Goes down a treat in a busy office environment.
Yes. "Somebody please shoot me!" Is my preferred way to put it, but anymore in public these days, someone might just be all too ready to do me the favor...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 11:43 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes. "Somebody please shoot me!" Is my preferred way to put it, but anymore in public these days, someone might just be all too ready to do me the favor...
To someone like me that might be a welcome relief.

Old 01-04-2020, 07:31 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,131 times
A worthy article:

Quote:
One Nation, Not Under God, by Stephen Rohde

“FROM THE TOTALITARIAN point of view, history is something to be created rather than learned,” George Orwell wrote in “The Prevention of Literature” in 1946. “A totalitarian state is in effect a theocracy, and its ruling caste, in order to keep its position, has to be thought of as infallible.”

Andrew L. Seidel chooses Orwell’s observation as one of two epigrams (the other by James Madison) to introduce his brilliant, ambitious, well-researched, and compelling new book, The Founding Myth: Why Christian Nationalism is Un-American. Calling the claim that America was founded as a Christian nation (or, since the Holocaust, a Judeo-Christian nation) a “fabrication” and “political invention,” Seidel goes further: he demonstrates that “Judeo-Christian principles, especially those central to the Christian nationalist identity, are thoroughly opposed to the principles on which the United States was built.” Christianity is “un-American.”

[more at the link]
https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/...not-under-god/

Old 01-04-2020, 08:26 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
It's one of the books I'm reading atm. I watched the author's talk on the subject a few months back so decided to get the book. It's not particularly revelatory but I'm curious how, being a lawyer, he would be able to tie it all in.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
The father of a good friend of mine is something of a Mormon evangelist...

Also someone close to me, because his son and I spent a lot of time together growing up, so I came to know his father pretty well. He still likes to talk to me about his Mormon beliefs when we get together (like he enjoys talking to everyone who will listen), and I enjoy hearing what he has to say even though we both know I'm an atheist. Pointless, but something to talk about. Not too long ago he gave me a book that he insisted was all I needed to know about how the Mormon religion is a significant part of what has made America the country it is, as per Joseph Smith's Zionist revelation, up to and including the election of Trump. All part of God's plan.

I read the book over the course of a few days while visiting them, in the mornings since I am an early riser before most everyone else, giving me a little time to kill with a book. I forgot to bring mine with me, so I was glad to have the recommended reading to have instead. Anything to read really. I gave the book back to him before leaving with little comment other than to explain how it was a little difficult for me to buy all presented as fact in that book (to put it mildly). Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the book, and I can't look it up, because it is one of those free hand-out church produced books (a Mormon propaganda piece).

What I learned is that people can truly come to believe just about anything, and given the agenda of religions in general, coupled with all the long-tried-and-proven methods to get people to believe just about anything, there really is no point or hope to expect religious people to change or do better. Not sure it serves much point for me to read more about this sort of challenge or whatever else there is to read that helps separate the truth from fiction, because the truth simply doesn't matter. That and/or people simply don't know how to distinguish truth from fiction, or don't want to. I really don't know...

Old 01-10-2020, 12:40 PM

Quick movie recommendation before I sign off today...

Just finished watching this movie, "The Best of Enemies." I highly recommend you do too if you like hard-to-believe true stories. I'd say this is about the hardest to believe true story I've ever heard. Also in light of my Cement Theory, perhaps the greatest example of an exception to the rule I've ever come to know.

Cheers!

Old 01-23-2020, 04:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
https://singularityhub.com/2020/01/2...able-organism/

Interesting. Of course they also included that old idea of scientists 'playing god'.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:38 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Default Look what IWMN did

Our new pal IWMN hath realised a 'Matforce' logo for us.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lbu...3NFBS57YT/view

It looks a lot more like a parcel delivery company logo than the jackbooted militant atheist paramilitary badge I had expected, but we're not being charged much for it.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:36 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,853,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Our new pal IWMN hath realised a 'Matforce' logo for us.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lbu...3NFBS57YT/view

It looks a lot more like a parcel delivery company logo than the jackbooted militant atheist paramilitary badge I had expected, but we're not being charged much for it.
Brilliant! How do we copy that and put it on our posts?

Old 02-21-2020, 11:33 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Brilliant! How do we copy that and put it on our posts?

To use the logo in posts:
1. Save the image to your computer (*I won’t be leaving it on Google drive indefinitely)

2. Add the image/logo as an attachment to any of your posts (or to your profile photo album)

3. While viewing the image, right-click on it and choose “copy image link/location”

4. Use that link when you click on the ‘add image’ (formatting) button when composing a post (not sure if it’s possible to use an image in your post ‘signature’.)

I think he may merit a rep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism