Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 12:35 PM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
He confided unto me that it was the culmination of a running battle over on the political forum. I guess the curious could browse it and see what happened. I'm too busy inserting sublinial cuts "Not a sexisr" into alll my posts, in hopes not to be twittered off the board.
Nope, it was the U.K. forum.

Old 03-06-2021, 07:37 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,700,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Nope, it was the U.K. forum.
Thanks. I guessed it was the political forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2021, 06:31 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
. One of my daughters is shopping for her first home. She thought she found her dream home and asked for some advice . I encouraged her to offer 9,000 under the asking price. "Never pay full price", I said to her . She offered that and to pay closing cost. She was quickly outbid. I feel terrible. She was willing to pay full cost but I advised otherwise. This house was on the market less than 24 hrs.
A full price offer probably wouldn't have cut it either. We just offered 10% over asking price. We probably won't even get it.

Old 03-07-2021, 09:51 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
A full price offer probably wouldn't have cut it either. We just offered 10% over asking price. We probably won't even get it.
You can't beat yourself up for reasoned decisions that didn't turn out optimally.

Life has quirks.

Serendipity is a Thing.

Our task is to do our very best with the cards we're dealt.

And hope we understand the game.

Old 03-08-2021, 04:13 AM

Default if it's quiet....

It must be Monday.

I suspect it's the time they do their office work.

If it's Tuesday, they get back on line.
Quote:
We do sometimes miss out on doing the better thing. The daughter of my best mate had to buy a house they didn't like as much as the one they wanted, but they were outbid and they hadn't the money. If they'd have got their dad to ask me for a loan to get the place, I'd have done it, but they didn't.

I think I regret that surprisingly much (pardon the poor wording) and it still bothers me.

Also when I was investing in property rather than look to the miserable returns a bank could offer, I looked at a very nice small house in a rather dodgy area (I wouldn't care to live there) and offered a lower price to see whether negotiation was possible. When I went back to see the response I was screamed at about how I'd upset the vendor. Well, I just walked out. I'm the buyer, I don't need that crap from people who are selling me something.

It's part of a Problem - the person wanting our money treats us not only like they are doing us a favour, but we need to be bulied and shouted at. Anyone else ever seen that? Why don't we put these people out of business?

Well, after looking at a house in town fine location, but oddly boarded with plywood all through - it would be like living on the gun-deck stern cabin area of the Uss Constitution..I had it vetted and all the walls were bulging I got a flat in a group conversion (lucky I got one of the good ones - a couple on the Wrong side has wall problems the management company are still trying to fix) and after maddam and I got it furnished and papered, we rented and it still brings in a few hundred. A bloody sight better than the Banks offer...you can never go wrong with property.

So no point to greet over mistakes, move on and be happy with what you got right.

Since it's Monday and nobody is posting anything, let me ramble a bit As Flashman says "What's a bankroll, more or less?" I don't miss the cash I paid for a Business class flight on Thai in 2016 to take Mrs Arq some of her Stuff and see the monastery pavilion she'd built with my money. I just remember the best flight I ever had. Oh, Jesus, the Food and I never had room for the all day snack menu...

But one of the things I'm most pleased to remember is going back from a family visit London to S Wales and a burquaed lass with a pram asked me whether the train was going to Swansea. After we'd pulled out of Paddington, there was a bit of a Business behind me and I (for once (1) asked what was the problem. The Muslina had got in 1st class with a 2nd class ticket. and the cabin crew was going to wheel her pram though to the pig -class seats. The hassle and humiliation hit me like it was mine.

"Oh, we can't have her moved; I can handle this. What's the top up?.... right..."

The money didn't matter (nor the dosh I kicked in to help the Transponder bridge society get the minimum to qualify for a grant to get repairs and worthy visitor centre (2) but I feel a bit happy to think back I did the Right Thing.

And, yes, I do kick in monthly to a number of charities.

And now back to the never ending battle with the Bible - boneheads and the Something More Something Missing -ists.

Have a good week all and Let Us pray (or whatever) that the current crop of right wing dictatorships (and yes that includes China as well as their puppet regimes in Myanmar and Thailand) somehow get taken down.

(1) I have long since learned that you stick your nose in trying to help and it'll likely get smashed.

(2) https://www.heritagefund.org.uk/news...sporter-bridge

Not a word, I note, about the Friends of the bridge who were the driving force behind all this.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 03-08-2021 at 04:59 AM..

Old 03-08-2021, 04:42 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Thanks, L8. I spoke with her and she's not holding it against me. She's sort of puzzled as to why she wasn't allowed to counter offer. It turns out she is sort of like you in that she was actually willing to pay above the asking cost. Above the asking cost?! It's a jungle out there! Now she's thinking she wants to build instead getting her hopes up again, and she still wants me to be a part of the process.

I sure hope your deal goes through. I'll keep my fingers crossed, and if the deal does go through you can thank me. If it doesn't go through it's not my fault.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:02 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,009,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
It must be Monday.

I suspect it's the time they do their office work.

If it's Tuesday, they get back on line.

We do sometimes miss out on doing the better thing. The daughter of my best mate had to buy a house they didn't like as much as the one they wanted, but they were outbid and they hadn't the money. If they'd have got their dad to ask me for a loan to get the place, I'd have done it, but they didn't.

I think I regret that surprisingly much (pardon the poor wording) and it still bothers me.

Also when I was investing in property rather than look to the miserable returns a bank could offer, I looked at a very nice small house in a rather dodgy area (I wouldn't care to live there) and offered a lower price to see whether negotiation was possible. When I went back to see the response I was screamed at about how I'd upset the vendor. Well, I just walked out. I'm the buyer, I don't need that crap from people who are selling me something.

It's part of a Problem - the person wanting our money treats us not only like they are doing us a favour, but we need to be bulied and shouted at. Anyone else ever seen that? Why don't we put these people out of business?

Well, after looking at a house in town fine location, but oddly boarded with plywood all through - it would be like living on the gun-deck stern cabin area of the Uss Constitution..I had it vetted and all the walls were bulging I got a flat in a group conversion (lucky I got one of the good ones - a couple on the Wrong side has wall problems the management company are still trying to fix) and after maddam and I got it furnished and papered, we rented and it still brings in a few hundred. A bloody sight better than the Banks offer...you can never go wrong with property.

So no point to greet over mistakes, move on and be happy with what you got right.

Since it's Monday and nobody is posting anything, let me ramble a bit As Flashman says "What's a bankroll, more or less?" I don't miss the cash I paid for a Business class flight on Thai in 2016 to take Mrs Arq some of her Stuff and see the monastery pavilion she'd built with my money. I just remember the best flight I ever had. Oh, Jesus, the Food and I never had room for the all day snack menu...

But one of the things I'm most pleased to remember is going back from a family visit London to S Wales and a burquaed lass with a pram asked me whether the train was going to Swansea. After we'd pulled out of Paddington, there was a bit of a Business behind me and I (for once (1) asked what was the problem. The Muslina had got in 1st class with a 2nd class ticket. and the cabin crew was going to wheel her pram though to the pig -class seats. The hassle and humiliation hit me like it was mine.

"Oh, we can't have her moved; I can handle this. What's the top up?.... right..."

The money didn't matter (nor the dosh I kicked in to help the Transponder bridge society get the minimum to qualify for a grant to get repairs and worthy visitor centre (2) but I feel a bit happy to think back I did the Right Thing.

And, yes, I do kick in monthly to a number of charities.

And now back to the never ending battle with the Bible - boneheads and the Something More Something Missing -ists.

Have a good week all and Let Us pray (or whatever) that the current crop of right wing dictatorships (and yes that includes China as well as their puppet regimes in Myanmar and Thailand) somehow get taken down.

(1) I have long since learned that you stick your nose in trying to help and it'll likely get smashed.

(2) https://www.heritagefund.org.uk/news...sporter-bridge
Wow Transponder, you had a hand in building a (Thai) monastery pavilion! Honestly, that's quite impressive.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:17 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Didn't get it. Even the realtor was surprised. 3 years ago then house sold for 215,000, they listed it for 285,000, we offered 315,000. Its for my daughter as well. If I had my way we'd wait but she's not having that. It feels like the toilet paper thing all over again.

Old 03-08-2021, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Wow Transponder, you had a hand in building a (Thai) monastery pavilion! Honestly, that's quite impressive.
Oh. Mrs Arq built that herself to live in after she 'retired' back to Myanmar. I only supplied the funds. I just wish I could post photos but (since my work laptop failed) I use one that has no down or upload facility. It was built by the monastery Pool and mosquito sanctuary, and has a large living/shrine room, bedroom, washroom and a kitchen with all the facilities of home.

The Thai flight was to Suwannabhumi and connect to Yangon. There are no feasible direct flights.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:53 AM

88,527 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Didn't get it. Even the realtor was surprised. 3 years ago then house sold for 215,000, they listed it for 285,000, we offered 315,000. Its for my daughter as well. If I had my way we'd wait but she's not having that. It feels like the toilet paper thing all over again.
Someone said that exact thing on the Jersey forum. Houses in NJ are the new toilet paper. My friend sold hers last summer for for $30K over her asking price. The day of the open house, the street was jammed with NY plates. Hers was a major commuter town, like much of north Jersey. They are fleeing the city in droves.

We are putting my mother's house on the market next month. It's lower-priced than most in the neighborhood because it needs updating. We shall see.

@Trans--stop complaining that no one is posting at 6:13 EST. People on the east coast were just waking up. The mid and west part of North America was still sleeping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism