Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 10:26 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,707,420 times

Advertisements

I debated a bit about where to post this article. What forum or thread. Especially for you folks who sometimes struggle with anxiety. File under natural high...

Hockney has long appreciated the natural world, both for its aesthetic inspiration and therapeutic qualities: "We can only replenish ourselves by looking at nature," he has said. It is a viewpoint many of us have come to share over the past year as we have taken long walks to calm our racing minds. The results can be tangible; a mere 20 minutes in a natural environment has been proven to lower stress levels. Even looking at images of nature can induce some of the same effects, so it is perhaps no surprise that visitors have been flocking to Hockney – Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature at The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston while Londoners are eagerly awaiting Hockney's The Arrival of Spring, which opens this week at The Royal Academy.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-bring-us-joy

Sure wish I could see this exhibit!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 01:59 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I debated a bit about where to post this article. What forum or thread. Especially for you folks who sometimes struggle with anxiety. File under natural high...

Hockney has long appreciated the natural world, both for its aesthetic inspiration and therapeutic qualities: "We can only replenish ourselves by looking at nature," he has said. It is a viewpoint many of us have come to share over the past year as we have taken long walks to calm our racing minds. The results can be tangible; a mere 20 minutes in a natural environment has been proven to lower stress levels. Even looking at images of nature can induce some of the same effects, so it is perhaps no surprise that visitors have been flocking to Hockney – Van Gogh: The Joy of Nature at The Museum of Fine Arts in Houston while Londoners are eagerly awaiting Hockney's The Arrival of Spring, which opens this week at The Royal Academy.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...e-bring-us-joy

Sure wish I could see this exhibit!

Thanks.

I've seen several Hockney exhibitions.
They are always SO well done.
His work is always so fresh and he is constantly pushing boundaries.
Love him. I hope the Houston exhibition eventually comes to New York.
It's probably an extension of what I've seen before. He had a big exhibition in San Franscisco in 2014 and some of the same stuff was in New York when he came there is 2018. I think he basically just adds to what he has.

I also saw a big work of his being sold at Christies a couple of years ago. The sale price broke some record or other. I saw two Edward Hoppers being sold on the same night which also broke records. I'm a big, big fan of both artists.

Old 05-21-2021, 02:53 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
My love of nature is why I moved here. This is my back yard.

Old 05-22-2021, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
My love of nature is why I moved here. This is my back yard.
Wow. I mean really. Wow. Good for you. Here's mine...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...=2211&bih=1225

Old 05-22-2021, 09:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
A year ago, I dumped my apartment and started traveling/camping full-time.

Natural beauty is everywhere, even in a city. Just look for it.

I slept beside a big river last night. It's cool, cloudy, and windy. The view out my window from my comfy bed/nest is heartlifting.

Old 05-22-2021, 10:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,174,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Wow. I mean really. Wow. Good for you. Here's mine...

https://www.google.com/search?q=mont...=2211&bih=1225
Gorgeous scenery there. My camera would love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

I slept beside a big river last night. It's cool, cloudy, and windy. The view out my window from my comfy bed/nest is heartlifting.
I agree. I slept rough quite a bit when younger. Now, I make do with a window fan.

Old 05-22-2021, 11:07 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,158,224 times
Beautiful locations!

The Everglades is just a bike ride away from me. The Atlantic ocean requires driving and many red lights, so I don't get out there too much.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ever...e=strict&hl=en

Old 05-23-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Absolutely! I don't know how to describe my love and appreciation for both nature and big cities. All in between as well (from farm lands to small towns like the one we live in here)...

Are you by chance homeless or just wanting to do the "Travels With Charlie" sort of thing for awhile? I ask because we have a lot of people living in RVs around here and all over the country. Not so much out of choice but because they can no longer afford their homes (as we all know).

Nothing like the big cities and the rivers running through them. I've enjoyed many and look forward to as much more as I can manage. Now that travel is opening up again, looks like we'll be on the east coast (NYC and NJ) over the July 4 weekend. Hawaii for a wedding in November. Japan from there.

I was recently looking through this book:

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/1000-p...dition=6252357

A pleasure to read about many a spot that brought back fond memories of having been there, including where we live, and oh so many places still to see!

Old 05-23-2021, 02:13 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,160,089 times
I only did the sleeping rough thing one summer. The year I left Uni. Did the backpacking around Europe thing. Slept on trains, on boats, on beaches etc.
Those were the days I didn't give much thought to personal safety. Crazy when I think about it now. Not sure I'd let my daughters do it.
I don't know if personal safety is better or worse these days or if my perception has just changed.

Old 05-23-2021, 04:40 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I only did the sleeping rough thing one summer. The year I left Uni. Did the backpacking around Europe thing. Slept on trains, on boats, on beaches etc.
Those were the days I didn't give much thought to personal safety. Crazy when I think about it now. Not sure I'd let my daughters do it.
I don't know if personal safety is better or worse these days or if my perception has just changed.
My daughter lived in Beijing for 15 months in 2014 and 2015, and while she was there she flew to Seoul a couple of times for concerts, as well as other parts of China on vacation, and then she went to Thailand for two weeks and then bopped around Europe--Helsinki, Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, Munich, that I can remember--for a month or so on her way back. I met her in Amsterdam and we went to Paris and London for her last eight days of it.

She didn't sleep on beaches, but used hostels (except for her apartment in Beijing, of course). When I got there, we stayed in Airbnbs. I'm too old for the hostel nonsense.

She says the place she feels most unsafe is in the United States. I guess that would specifically be Albany, New York, where she lived after she came back to the USA, and Long island, where she lives now. She also bounces around a lot as a young single person. I've checked in with her and she's in Boston or Buffalo for the weekend.

She also had to go to Hong Kong in 2019 for an academic conference and decided after that to go by herself to some "glamping" place in the Philippines a five hour bus ride from Manila. Still didn't feel threatened by any humans, but she picked up a nasty virus while in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately one of the employees at the glamping site was a med student and nursed her through it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism