Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2021, 02:46 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
it would be a good discussion, many would be interested in reading and participating.
perhaps from the view of "why isn't the vaccine mandatory" or "why aren't vaccines mandatory" or "why aren't there laws requiring vaccine"
have you given much thought to those?
[generic you, question for anyone]
Many would be interested in YOUR views that prompted your criticism of mine. You apparently don't care about that.
As for mandatory vaccinations, this is a free country, and freedom and individual responsibility is valued over tyranny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2021, 02:52 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Good for you! Go team!

My wife and I got vaccinated on Monday. We had a contractor at our home yesterday to take measurements for the new front door we're about to order. He was wearing his mask as were we (still), and I asked him if he had been vaccinated. Sadly, he explained he's not going to get vaccinated, because he feels it is too soon to know whether the vaccination is really safe. Maybe a year from now for him he says. Given his age and other "good old boy" comments, I'd bet dollars-to-donuts he's a Trump supporter, but I dared not ask him for fear of inspiring him to gab even more than he was already prone toward doing.

It's hard for all of us who are doing the right thing to deal with all the folks who make it very challenging to achieve the success against this virus that we should be able to enjoy. But what can you do about some people?
I do nothing other than share information with them and answer their questions.

Quote:
So now an atheist has posted that their family members have not gotten vaccinated.
i am curious elyn (or anyone) how do you feel about labeling people who have not gotten vaccinated (in this case all your family members) as "irresponsible" "not among the intelligent" "evil" "probably a Trump supporter" "a clear and present danger to the population" "ignorant" "intransigent" "unconscionable" "genuine harm to others" grouped together with "racists and anti-Semites" "heinous" "dangerous" "negligence" "rancor" "disdain" "castigation" "truly evil"

Thus far that has been the knee jerk reaction on this thread. and with no recognition or acknowledgement of the many and various reasons why people may not have gotten the vaccine.
I am not an authority on City-data so I don't place too much emphasis on my feelings. Where I have authority, such as my home, my preference would be to support labels with reasons. I also prefer that people not see the worst in each other, but this is not my place to impose my preferences on others.

Old 05-14-2021, 02:53 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
here's the thing. if someone has an anger problem, for instance, and has a litany of all the things that "make them angry" and blames all those things for "making them angry"

the problem is not "all those things."
the problem is the person has an anger problem, and does not take responsibility for dealing with the anger problem that originates within them and is owned by them and is wholly and completely theirs.
Here's the thing, if someone has a God complex and believes they should evaluate everyone else's views and provide therapy for their perceived deficiencies while hiding their own views from scrutiny, that would be a symptom of a deeper issue within themselves that needs attention.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:18 PM

10,529 posts, read 6,158,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Many would be interested in YOUR views that prompted your criticism of mine. You apparently don't care about that.
As for mandatory vaccinations, this is a free country, and freedom and individual responsibility is valued over tyranny.
That's true.

However 'freedom' is open to debate.
If people don't want to get vaccinated, that's their choice but try getting on a plane to another country where I'm pretty certain other countries and indeed many US Universities WILL make vaccines mandatory.
Not sure how free exactly people think that makes them.

We have a saying in the UK ' to cut off your nose to spite your face'. Which basically means you do yourself more harm to prove a point than if you actually did the thing you are objecting to.

Similarly with the vaccine, people cite a few very rare blood clotting cases which may or may not be vaccine related- the jury is out; when if you were really worried about blood clots, the best way to up your chances of getting a blood clot is to catch covid - in which blood clots are one of the main damaging contributing factors of death.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:22 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
here's the thing. if someone has an anger problem, for instance, and has a litany of all the things that "make them angry" and blames all those things for "making them angry"

the problem is not "all those things."
the problem is the person has an anger problem, and does not take responsibility for dealing with the anger problem that originates within them and is owned by them and is wholly and completely theirs.
great general stuff ... the devil is in the details.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:24 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
freedom doesn't mean we are free to put others in danger. Stopping people from hurting others is not oppression.

Take snaps shots of our actions, place them out of order and out of context, and we all look bad.

Some people avoid playing the whole tape. Shame on those that are ok with not demanding to see it uncut and in order. The whole hour of it.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:46 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
How convenient. YOU are the one who got personal, defensive and accusatory when Mystic made a generalized statement NOT directed at you but at those putting others in danger; you wrote multiple posts about it, and then when I ask you to tell us what your issues with it are, you clam up and refuse to discuss it and tell me to go away and start a thread on it. I've asked YOU what your views are. That would be participation. Any reason you are unwilling to share your views? I'm happy to share mine.
i can see and understand the many reasons people give for getting a vaccine, and the many reasons people have for not getting a vaccine.
i don't have a problem with either choice. i work at a medical center and it is front and center and talked about daily for the last 16 months. people share freely in conversation our reasons for getting the vaccine or not. i can assure you that no one has said it is "truly evil" not to get the vaccine, or likened it to being a racist and anti-Semite, or called it "unconscionable" "irresponsible" "not among the intelligent" "a clear and present danger" "ignorant" "intransigent" "genuine harm to others" "heinous" "negligence" nor is anyone castigated with disdain and rancor for their choices, whether they are patients or families or caregivers or employees.

my observation is that people steeped in fear and judgement and blame and anxiety are more triggered by the pandemic and the vaccine. As a person with a lifelong interest in healing, and several decades working in health care, it brings to the forefront for everyone to look at and examine our views on health and sickness, and it magnifies our responses and choices in how we take care of our self and how we take responsibility for our own health and well-being.

for some this is more comfortable than for others.
for some this is decidedly uncomfortable.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:48 PM

Quote:
i can see and understand the many reasons people give for getting a vaccine, and the many reasons people have for not getting a vaccine.
i don't have a problem with either choice.

my observation is that people steeped in fear and judgement and blame and anxiety are more triggered by the pandemic and more anxious about the vaccine. As a person with a lifelong interest in healing, and several decades working in health care, it brings to the forefront for everyone to look at and examine our views on health and sickness, and it magnifies our responses and choices in how we take care of our self and how we take responsibility for our own health and well-being.

for some this is more comfortable than for others.
for some this is decidedly uncomfortable.
Sad then that you have either not taken into account or disregard the efforts of those that have worked so hard in the last year to get us back to normal.

The Scientists who I can tell you first hand have worked non stop and flat out to develop vaccines, antibodies and treatments to combat covid.

The doctors and nurses who worked long shifts, double masked, risking their own lives with many who now need counselling for the trauma they experienced and deaths they witnessed.

Those that are being vaccinated are contributing to acheiving herd immunity: ie we COULD be in position where covid is so reduced that we get life back to normal or there's even a very slim change we can eradicate it all together.
That's the responsible human thing to do.

Old 05-14-2021, 03:56 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Sad then that you have either not taken into account or disregard the efforts of those that have worked so hard in the last year to get us back to normal.

The Scientists who I can tell you first hand have worked non stop and flat out to develop vaccines, antibodies and treatments to combat covid.

The doctors and nurses who worked long shifts, double masked, risking their own lives with many who now need counselling for the trauma they experienced and deaths they witnessed.

Those that are being vaccinated are contributing to acheiving herd immunity: ie we COULD be in position where covid is so reduced that we get life back to normal or there's even a very slim change we can eradicate it all together.
That's the responsible human thing to do.
and since i work in a medical center, i know first hand and listen to on a daily basis the reasons people give and have and consider for choosing not to get the vaccine. yes, including doctors and nurses. yes, including scientists and researchers. yes including patients and caregivers and families.

i am able to hear and understand both sides.
my observation is that on this thread on CD many are unable or unwilling or uncomfortable considering what goes into the decision.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-14-2021 at 04:16 PM..

Old 05-14-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
and since i work in a medical center, i know first hand and listen to on a daily basis the reasons people give and have and consider for choosing not to get the vaccine. yes, including doctors and nurses. yes, including scientists and researchers. yes including patients and caregivers and families.

i am able to hear and understand both sides.
my observation is that on this thread on CD many are unable or unwilling or uncomfortable considering what goes into the decision.
My observation is that I asked you to clarify what goes into those decisions and you were unwilling or uncomfortable to do so.

Edit.

Since you keep repeating these so-called reasons without stating what they actually are for no apparent reason, going forward, I'm going to assume there are none.

I simply cannot be doing with these empty and meaningless games and responses. I don't have the time or inclination for it.

Happy Friday.

Last edited by Cruithne; 05-14-2021 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism