Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times

Advertisements

had i good laugh was asked if i was so smart why as a atheist do i and fellow athiest view the creation story a a myth or fairy story it made me laugh. that this person said only a idiot would be live in the big bang and evolution. my reply was but a talking snake and giants are real must be lsd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 03:18 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Ahhm.. Probably I'd rather go through the evidence for either claim or theory as trading 'U R an idjit for berleeving fairy stories' slangshots gets us nowhere, racks up the tension and really drags atheists down to the level 'sneer for Jesus' types.

I just think that we are on a roll and need to prepare for social credibility and even respect..no, don't laugh..and can no longer act like a socially - excluded minority who can only express themselves through rude graffiti -messages.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
As presented, it doesn't sound like pendleton's interlocutor was actually wanting to have a reasoned discussion and was just taking the insult route -- so as long as presented in good humor the response in this case was probably all that could be reasonably expected.

Personally I find philosophical / logical arguments about god far more interesting than butt-kicking contests over evolution. For one thing, even if one could settle the origin of species it would still remain to (dis)prove god because they would just fall back on some form of theistic evolution even if we won that argument. Sometimes I think the evolution side show is a tactical diversion, particularly when approached from superficially provocative stances that show that the arguer doesn't even understand the basics of the topic (e.g., arguing that it's ridiculous that man came from monkeys -- or, as one poster in this space recently was obsessed about -- amoebas). This is a tired tactic that goes back at least to the Scopes "monkey trial" (which it seems they need to be reminded that they lost anyway).

Old 07-23-2013, 05:33 AM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
mordant have one friend we have great philosophical debates on this mater over coffee. but one friend who is truly a good person for the most part. thinks atheist have a mental illness. and insists that the big bang theory and evolution are the same thing. nothing you can do to change his mind. when you try to explain to him darwin did not say man came from apes and monkeys. but share a common ancestor . all like that is not what it says. and the first friend best way to put goes to church on sunday because it is how he was raised. but very open minded. me and friend 1 brought up a class they had in jr high school in the 80's call religions and spiritual beliefs of the world. the class did not favor no faith it gave a over view of them and how if they have any rules that the followers have to live by. and any contributions it my have had on history. friend 1 and my self thought it was a great class/ because it gave you a understanding of it. but friend 2 was like no it should not be had in school because the children are learning about false gods and not the true god. lol the talking snake and lsd thing was a bad joke.
he say the worst thing they did was takeing the bible prayer and being able to use corporal punishment out of school. but when you tell him his child can read the bible at lunch or study hall all they want and no can stop them if the kid wishis to say a private prayer to them selfs or in a little group the school can not stop them. he is like no no it is not allowed. and what gets me the members of friend 2's church aprove of the teacher or admin spanking a child for any rule broke. i would realy like to know why. they feel that we and our kids should be made to follow their faith and learn about. but a course that is ment to give a understanding of other faiths so we do not have a misunderstanding of it and no prayers are done. is a attack on his faith.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:05 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
mordant have one friend we have great philosophical debates on this mater over coffee. but one friend who is truly a good person for the most part. thinks atheist have a mental illness. and insists that the big bang theory and evolution are the same thing. nothing you can do to change his mind.
That's just a Wall of Denial (tm) ... his mind is completely closed. It happens.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM

220 posts, read 363,838 times
You have trouble forming complete sentences and relaying a clear message. I had to read your post a few times to decipher exactly what you were trying to say. And you're calling someone else an idiot?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism