Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:05 PM

484 posts, read 882,995 times

Advertisements

I find it very annoying and odd when people say "God wants this" or "Does God want us to do this?" My initial reaction is to tell them that they could not possibly believe him to be all-powerful and read his mind at the same time. Maybe it's just me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2014, 12:41 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
The concept of "God wanting me to do this or that" is really nothing more than the brain trying to justify a choice that has already been made - especially those "iffy" choices that don't have a clear-cut right or wrong course of action. Ultimately, you are going to make the choice you want to make; God will have absolutely nothing to do with it. But, once the choice is made, you can comfort yourself with the illusory belief that God guided your actions. The choice you made was the one God wanted you to make. After all, why else did you choose that particular option, right? Because of God!

All it amounts to is a mechanism whereby people foist some of the responsibility for their choice onto God; making a decision alone can be daunting, but as long as you can convince yourself that you're having a consultation with a Supreme Being before making a choice, you can also convince yourself that the path you chose was the right one.

It has far more to do with psychology than the existence of God.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:39 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
It's just more confirmation that what people think is 'God' is their mental identity, inflated to divine proportions. Starting with Paul and whatever theology he fiddled on the basis of mangled OT quotes to support what he wanted to achieve - to get his fellow citizens (Greeks) saved as much as the Jews. Which he saw could be achieved through 'Faith in Jesus'. Thus whatever ideas he got in his head he ascribed to Jesus.

It has been the same ever since, with rival sects down to bods on Christianity slagging each other off over how you read 'Aion' or about Tithing and all thinking that their Interpretation is gotten directly from Jesusgod, so it has to be right. It's the same mechanism that finds an apologist declaring what God wants or what God meant or what God Thinks. It doesn't even occur to them what they are doing - creating God in their own image.

Can there be any more gross example of hyper-inflated self - importance? Is there any clearer evidence that Human consciousness in neither God nor Jesus? Nor revelation nor Inspiration? It's just what we think in our own heads.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:03 AM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
The only time I have an emotive reaction, such as annoyance, is when they apply it to the death of a child. When a friend loses her infant unexpectedly and someone has the gall to say it was 'god's plan', yeah, I get pretty annoyed. If it's just day to day stuff like 'it's a sign from god that I find another job', I really couldn't care less if that's their justification.

Old 02-16-2014, 08:04 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhans123 View Post
I find it very annoying and odd when people say "God wants this" or "Does God want us to do this?" My initial reaction is to tell them that they could not possibly believe him to be all-powerful and read his mind at the same time. Maybe it's just me....
Personally, I think thoughts and ideas can have consequences. The problem I have with someone tapping into his or her god is when that god expresses bigotry or violence. We do not have nationwide gay marriage in the U.S. largely because people have been told by their god that the gay lifestyle is sinful. I do find such things annoying or even at times alarming.

Back in the day, when I was younger, I had a highly religious girlfriend who would occasionally stop and ponder what her god would want her to do when she was confronted by various situations. That too I found annoying. That relationship did not last long despite the fact that -believe it or not- her god seem to be telling her that I needed sex regularly.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:28 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Like George Bush when he said god wanted him to start the Iraq war.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/oct/07/iraq.usa

No, it's not just you

Old 02-16-2014, 09:32 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Yeah, it is just you and a few unfortunate other people.

These kind of statements don't bother me at all.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,324,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
The only time I have an emotive reaction, such as annoyance, is when they apply it to the death of a child. When a friend loses her infant unexpectedly and someone has the gall to say it was 'god's plan', yeah, I get pretty annoyed. If it's just day to day stuff like 'it's a sign from god that I find another job', I really couldn't care less if that's their justification.
Usually it doesn't really "bother" me, either, but sometimes it does. It's just a peeve I have because it comes across to my ears as prideful boasting. Few people like to be around someone who is constantly patting themselves on the back. Now, I realize people always crediting God with things aren't meaning to sound that way, which is why I usually give them a break. But if I'm in a mood, I can get really irritated if it happens too often.

Why do I see it as prideful boasting? I guess it's because you have to be pretty arrogant to think that the Supreme Creator and Ruler of the Universe is helping you decide whether to get steak or chicken at the restaurant. Having said that, I HAVE experienced strange events in my life that seemed almost staged, as if some "director" was behind the scenes cueing up people and causing certain things to occur as if I were an unwitting participant in a scene from a movie. It's pretty rare, but it has happened. I could fully understand, perhaps even empathize, if someone felt a situation like that was being influenced by an all-powerful creator.

But it's usually not some serendipitous set of events that causes a person to pull out the "God dunnit" card. It's most often some banal, run-of-the-mill, everyday occurance that could have just as easily been chance.

A good example occurred not long ago when someone on my Facebook page was gushing about God because her car broke down, she called a tow truck, and the guy just happened to have the part she needed in stock. WOW! What a miracle! I was rather unimpressed. Besides, why gush about God when a REAL God who really cared wouldn't have let her car break down in the first place.

It also sends a negative signal to everyone else. What about all of those people who broke down and didn't get help right away? What about those occasional stories you hear about someone breaking down on a rarely-used country road and freezing to death before help could arrive? What does that say about the unfortunate ones? That God doesn't give a shyte about them? That they were not special enough? Righteous enough? Pious enough?

Old 02-16-2014, 10:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Like George Bush when he said god wanted him to start the Iraq war.
George Bush: 'God told me to end the tyranny in Iraq' | World news | The Guardian

No, it's not just you
I want to weep. Those two idiots praying together and then ploughing us into a major way the fallout of which we are still dealing with. The pair of them should be put on trial as war criminals with no defence but insanity.

Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Those two idiots praying together and then ploughing us into a major way the fallout of which we are still dealing with. The pair of them should be put on trial as war criminals with no defence but insanity.
Believe me, I understand how you feel.

It reminds me on 1940 when the British idiot Churchill got involved in a war with Germany and begged for our help. Of course, we helped poor old England, but then on Dec 11, 1941 Germany declared war on us, which cost us a lot of American lives.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism