Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2015, 07:01 AM

10,531 posts, read 6,165,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
I suspect that his talk of tides and sunrise was rather aimed at the whole 'Who made everything then?' argument He knows (surely) about the rotation of the earth and the gravity of the moon. The idea is 'All this existence, order and complexity is inexplicable without a god'. This is not in the same order of absurdity as the designed banana or the freeze -dried eucalyptus leaves. He just expressed himself so badly that he should really have kept his trap shut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
He is actually smarter than that, and like most of his kind, is simply pandering to the people who keep the royalty checks coming in.
Chaps, I think you are both being extremely generous here.
I checked out the clip on YouTube.

In O'Reilly's own words: "I know I'm not the smartest guy in town".

Sadly, O'Reilly's extremely stupid statement is only matched by the extremely stupid reply from this David Silverman guy who didn't offer anything like a satisfactory answer. My flippin' 8 year old could explain the tides to O'Reilly. .
I couldn't watch the clip to the end. Watching two grown idiots argue is too cringeworthy.

Check it out for yourselves:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb3AFMe2OQY

Quote:
Senator Ted Cruz is another one who spouts the most cravenly stupid remarks continually and yet was lauded by his law professors as the most brilliant law student they ever encountered. It is simply a question of whether you believe your own BS or have simply latched onto a particular BS that is profitable and that you have decided to work with on that basis.

It's a mistake to assume that what comes out of any person's mouth is what they actually believe in. The only thing you can say with any confidence about these guy's true beliefs, is that they believe in the money and power and influence that these beliefs brings to them.

I am of the opinion that O'Reilly and Cruz and their ilk not only know their chosen tropes, but also know the perceptual quirks and weaknesses of their opponents. One of those is that those opponents will waste prodigious amounts of energy "reasoning" with them. This "loud and proud" approach is designed in part to incense the opposition.
This guy Ted Cruz is stupidity personified. Shuts down the government, costing the taxpayer a mere 24 BILLION dollars in opposition to Obamacare, announces he is running for president with his wife helping out, signs up for Obamacare because no his wife has no insurance. Then thinks people are actually going to vote for him. Most brilliant law student they ever encountered? LOL. It's hysterical. You've got to laugh. Otherwise you'd cry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2015, 09:45 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Really? You like O'Reilly? You surprise me Hiker.
We never know exactly why certain people appeal to us. We just know that, for some reason or the other, we just like them.

After thinking about it, I like people who seem happy and appear to enjoy being alive. I don't like people who are always unhappy or angry about something.

That is why I like O'Reilly and his regular guests like Dennis Miller, Jesse Waters, and, as I mentioned earlier, Greg Gutfeld and McGurk. They are all fun to watch. O'Reilly does not seem to take himself too seriously, and I like that.

I really try to watch the liberal station MSNBC to hear another point of view, but I just can't find anyone who is fun to watch. They are either angry like Ed Schultz or condescending like Rachel Maddow. Like most *******s, they think people who do not agree with them are stupid. Not the kind of people I want in our home.

Last edited by hiker45; 03-25-2015 at 09:54 AM..

Old 03-25-2015, 09:52 AM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,179 times
Quote:
You've got to laugh. Otherwise you'd cry.
It looks like you understand what life is all about.

You can either feel bad because you were raised in Liverpool and didn't have a lot of money, or you can recall how much fun it was to just run around town and take the ferry for a joyride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os4_U3_L5nY

Old 03-25-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
We never know exactly why certain people appeal to us. We just know that, for some reason or the other, we just like them.

After thinking about it, I like people who seem happy and appear to enjoy being alive. I don't like people who are always unhappy or angry about something.

That is why I like O'Reilly and his regular guests like Dennis Miller, Jesse Waters, and, as I mentioned earlier, Greg Gutfeld and McGurk. They are all fun to watch. O'Reilly does not seem to take himself too seriously, and I like that.

I really try to watch the liberal station MSNBC to hear another point of view, but I just can't find anyone who is fun to watch. They are either angry like Ed Schultz or condescending like Rachel Maddow. Like most *******s, they think people who do not agree with them are stupid. Not the kind of people I want in our home.
Fair enough, I'm with you there. Jeremy Clarkson typical example. He's like Marmite, he's split the nation in two. You either love him or you hate him. Me - he cracks me up. I think he's hilarious. But the British Press have had him for breakfast. The newspapers have just had a 2 week witch hunt because of this iddy biddy little thing of him smacking a perfectly innocent guy in the face (oops, ok he definitely should not have done that ). But you get my point. I like upbeat people too.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:08 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
You've got to laugh. Otherwise you'd cry.
Yes ... this is true. Laugh, though your heart is breaking, as the old song says.

I don't have any trouble believing that, e.g., Cruz has a very specific kind of intelligence, the Machiavellian kind mostly ... that combined with a sociopathic level of indifference to reality on the ground. Sadly, that can take you far in the modern world, and some cynically embrace that as a strategy. It takes some professions (notably, law) particularly far. It is the ability to argue successfully in terms of acquiring power rather than honorably and accurately with the goal of reducing suffering. Too many people in this world regard life as a zero sum game with only winners and losers, those who are for or against you personally.

Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
To date O 'Reilly has killed Lincoln, Kennedy, Jesus and Patton. He obviously has found gold in shallow investigations of celebrity murders and I wonder which death he intends to exploit next.

Some obvious ones might be:
Killing Caesar
Killing Socrates

But if he keeps at it long enough eventually the dead megastars will have been exhausted and the aura of the victims dimmed:
Killing Jesse James
Killing Bob Crane

And when he runs out of well known murder victims, he will be reduced to taking on atheists with:
Killing Christmas

Then maybe branch out with:
Killing Vaudeville

Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
he is a money making machine.

The question is "Is what he says wrong?"

I don't agree with everything he says but then again I agree or disagree with him because he is a dork-hole. Or if hes says some things I don't agee with. I even agree with oslaba sometimes.

Grand, you didn't point to one thing that he said wrong. Can you point to a topic? I'll look it up and see if your right.

Old 03-26-2015, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
he is a money making machine.

The question is "Is what he says wrong?"

I don't agree with everything he says but then again I agree or disagree with him because he is a dork-hole. Or if hes says some things I don't agee with. I even agree with oslaba sometimes.

Grand, you didn't point to one thing that he said wrong. Can you point to a topic? I'll look it up and see if your right.

It's okay, plenty of people have done it for you.
There are a million news stories about O'Reilly's lying or shall we call them 'tall tales'.

Here's a summary of a few of them:

99 times Bill O'Reilly lied to America

Here are a few specifics:
Bill O'Reilly claims false, admits Fox News: Why that won't hurt him at Fox - CSMonitor.com

When people have no scruples about making stuff up to millions of people, you have to take everything they say with a pinch of salt.

Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
thanks for taking the time repost it for me.

did you read the first few items in that list? I ate a million peanuts yesterday. now I am liar? You know we are choosing between a "hosts" of liars right?

1) Thankfully we don't list the lies you and I did in our lives. be allot more than 99. I stopped at the first ten stupid lies. I am registered republican because I live in a republican area. I registered democrat when I was working in the city. It aint right, it survival.
can we get to a real topic. all these guys are liars.

2) It turns out O'Reilly is no different from the other bloviators.
this I agree with. again can we get back to a real topic.

3) he squashed a lot of people to get where he is. Just like most of them do on major networks. I wonder if any liberals lied. You and I would never make it to that level on the honor sytem. And it sucks. I would replace bill in a heartbeat with a more honest host. It probably won't be you.

Again, can we bring up a real topic. I already said he's a J.O.

Thank you pointing it again. I didn't look at it the first time. my bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism