Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 11:06 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Religious freedom debate now includes atheists — a.k.a. the least-accepted group in politics - The Washington Post

Madison WI specifically adds atheist to its list of protected classes.

Is it a good thing to be listed as a protected class?

I've been satisfied with the first amendment all these years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 11:07 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
Small bites, small steps.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:45 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,491,416 times
Although technically no one "should" need to be explicitly identified as a protected class, it is a necessary clarification for some people and groups. Those are the same groups that opine that, for instance, gays don't need any special protections, and yet ... they disfavor gays when it comes to affording them the same respect and dignity as anyone else. Somehow they can never see the disconnect.

I am a white male, and I live outside the Bible Belt ... therefore I have sufficient built-in privilege on the one hand and relatively little working against me on the other such that my atheism never becomes a practical problem ... so I, too, have been "content" with the first amendment. But if I had to deal with some of the professional and social pressures heaped on unbelievers in some quarters, or if I didn't have a lot of people assuming that I'm probably "just like them" in all respects based on my whiteness and maleness ... I would appreciate explicit protections too.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:52 AM

605 posts, read 705,432 times
One good thing I do see from this (among others), is that at least people are talking and thinking about atheism. We're getting more and more relevant now. And I'm hoping with that, a better understanding of who we are (as opposed to what they THINK we are - in many cases, as heathens, evil-doers, etc.).

Old 04-10-2015, 12:32 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,558,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Although technically no one "should" need to be explicitly identified as a protected class, it is a necessary clarification for some people and groups. Those are the same groups that opine that, for instance, gays don't need any special protections, and yet ... they disfavor gays when it comes to affording them the same respect and dignity as anyone else. Somehow they can never see the disconnect.

I am a white male, and I live outside the Bible Belt ... therefore I have sufficient built-in privilege on the one hand and relatively little working against me on the other such that my atheism never becomes a practical problem ... so I, too, have been "content" with the first amendment. But if I had to deal with some of the professional and social pressures heaped on unbelievers in some quarters, or if I didn't have a lot of people assuming that I'm probably "just like them" in all respects based on my whiteness and maleness ... I would appreciate explicit protections too.
I live in Utah and as an atheist have not been hassled any more than people living elsewhere. When I first moved here I expect there to be problems but after 15 years there have been relatively few.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:36 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,133,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post

Well, if we now get the same tax breaks as the religious groups.....

Old 04-11-2015, 05:53 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,587,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Religious freedom debate now includes atheists — a.k.a. the least-accepted group in politics - The Washington Post

I've been satisfied with the first amendment all these years...
add it to the duck list. List the traits of an organization to determine what it is. You can put up signs and have TV commercials claiming that you sell cars but when a person walks in and all you have is shoes? Well, you are a shoe store. Even if you don't sell every type of shoe.

Old 04-11-2015, 07:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,738,332 times
The other problem is someone walking into a car showroom and saying: "Why, you only sell shoes here."

Old 04-12-2015, 11:28 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Atheists need to make more missions to Africa and China, the religious have been heading to places where their "arguments" don't immediately spring to mind the eloquent counterarguments from gentlefolk.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:31 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well, if we now get the same tax breaks as the religious groups.....
All you gotta do is set up a meeting place specifically to meet, sing, talk, listen, collect money, be happy... is that bars or dance clubs? ....hopefully coffee shops? Call them non-theistic community houses?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism