Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 11:56 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApeFace View Post
Science isn't an explanation to produce life.
Religion isn't an explanation to produce life. Gotta do better than that. Especially intelligent life.
Quote:
Again, "science" isn't an explanation of how we got here. It doesn't explain how the solar system got here.
LOL you have no clue what you're talking about. I suggest you study up on Astrophysics. While you are at it you need to learn about the topics of panspermia, building blocks of life found in meteorites here on earth, "water bear" holding traits that can only have evolved in outer space conditions (meaning there were no selective pressures here on Earth for the "water bear" to have evolved with the traits that it has). Check out the Big Bang Nucleosynthesis and the cosmic microwave background. While your at it study evolution and how consciousnesses/intelligence evolved over time. You have a lot work to do!

Making the claims that you just made shines light on your ignorance about the above topics.

You are behind times as we are now in the 21st century and the emergent objective truths on the topics above have been established since the 19th century.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 12:03 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Science isn't an explanation to produce life. Gotta do better than that. Especially intelligent life.
Never said anything on that topic. The topic was the existence of the sun, the fact that it shines, and the fact that it sustains life. My point is that these can be explained scientifically, and that adding god or ID to the picture does not bring any additional explanatory power to bear.

Move goalposts much?
Quote:
Agreed where we see proof we are talking past each other. But you have to admit, when you are walking on the proof, it's hard to miss. When you were placed on that proof to live, it's hard to miss.
Stating that it's proof does not make it so. Assuming I was "placed on" it has to be substantiated and justified like any other assertion. You're begging the question.
Quote:
Again, "science" isn't an explanation of how we got here.
No, science is the output of a methodology that represents an epistemology that has been proven to lead to accurate apprehension of the natural world. Contrary to the failed epistemology of religious faith, it has discovered things, corrected wrong assumptions about things, and produced applied science (technology) that society runs on (for example, enables inconvenienced electrons to carry this message). I am not aware that anyone has ever corrected or outperformed science by employing theology.

Science is not omniscient and has not explained everything. But its track record suggests that it is the most likely avenue to fill in remaining gaps in knowledge.
Quote:
It doesn't explain how the solar system got here.
Um, actually, science has a great deal to say about the origin of this and other solar systems. You should get out more.
Quote:
This one word answer explains nothing. It's like saying the bible explains it but not elaborating on the actual scriptures to explain it thus giving no actual definition or explanation. But now we're back to talking past each other, a debate no one ever backs down from. Well, hardly ever that is
We are, regrettably, prohibited from discussing science in any detailed and meaningful way in this forum as it's been decided not to upset religious people who find science ... challenging and inconvenient. If you want scientific details on these matters, you can pursue them in the relevant forum, or Google it. If you want to discuss science as it relates to religious ideology there are other sites that allow those kinds of discussions. For example, thethinkingatheist.com/forum and look at the Atheism & Theism forum or the Creationism forum beneath it. But ... be forewarned, that's a less moderated environment, and you are liable to be eviscerated if you deal in logical fallacies, unsubstantiated assertions, or other forms of intellectual dishonesty. Although the flip side is, it takes dedicated effort to actually get banned.

My guess is that you don't really want those details or you would not be displaying so much ignorance about the matter. But, as they say, the truth is out there. If you want it.

Old 01-17-2018, 12:43 PM

Attached Thumbnails
Is belief a choice?-inability-grasp-science.jpg  

Old 01-17-2018, 04:19 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,317,575 times
Quote:
I'm not the best at explaining things. Are you questioning why I said she is using circular reasoning? If so it's because she started with the belief that it is obvious that the natural world is evidence of a creator. When people say it does not prove a creator she has to come up with a reason they don't agree such as they are dishonest or have cognitive impairment in order to protect the belief. She will go round and round until she realizes that it's her belief that it is flawed and not the people who disagree.

this woman does a fantastic job of explaining it:
https://www.ted.com/talks/kathryn_schulz_on_being_wrong

Old 01-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Didn't you just use your freewill to make this post and inserted a video in it? ^^
There are a few things indeed that are not in our control because if EVERYTHING was in our control then all of us would've been Gods.
However, in a great span of our life, we have a choice to make. We make choices and most of the time we take action to support our choices. This comprises the use of our logic, intelligence, resources and most of all, time. We are given these in a limit.

When our time is up, the bell rings and it's time to go. And in the end, we will be responsible for our choices based on freewill.
I'm taking it you used your free will not to watch the 6 min video or you wouldn't have asked that question.

Old 01-17-2018, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Dock cyclist a penny!
I don't think his lowly evolved judgmental words are even worth half a cent.

Old 01-19-2018, 01:09 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm taking it you used your free will not to watch the 6 min video or you wouldn't have asked that question.
Actually I did, and that too, at free will but not the entire 6 minutes.

If everything is based on LUCK then what's the point of going to work? If it's your luck, you will get paid, when get up in the morning and go to work?
And if it's not your luck, then you won't get paid even if you go to work.

What the point of us having intelligence, logic, energy and most importantly, TIME?

Did you notice, EVERYTHING is running against time and EVERY TIME, Time wins. Why because? Time is God!

Again, there are set of things that are given to us (and they are a few) that are beyond our control, but there are many things in our day to day life where we have a freewill where we use our intelligence, logic and research to make choices and in most cases, support our choices by some action. Otherwise, we would not have any energy, intelligence and time.

We can only try our best, till our destiny is revealed to us.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Actually I did, and that too, at free will but not the entire 6 minutes.

If everything is based on LUCK then what's the point of going to work? If it's your luck, you will get paid, when get up in the morning and go to work?
And if it's not your luck, then you won't get paid even if you go to work.

What the point of us having intelligence, logic, energy and most importantly, TIME?

Did you notice, EVERYTHING is running against time and EVERY TIME, Time wins. Why because? Time is God!

Again, there are set of things that are given to us (and they are a few) that are beyond our control, but there are many things in our day to day life where we have a freewill where we use our intelligence, logic and research to make choices and in most cases, support our choices by some action. Otherwise, we would not have any energy, intelligence and time.

We can only try our best, till our destiny is revealed to us.
I agree with the bold and I think most people are doing that regardless of their religious beliefs.

I think the idea is more that you happen to be the type of person who would get up and go to work versus someone who wouldn't is the "luck" part. I see what he is saying is that everything that happens is built upon previous experiences and how that affected the mind you were given which you had no choice in.

I don't think the fact that we didn't choose our hardware or software that we run doesn't render intelligence, logic, or anything else unimportant. Just that it is what it is. I think understanding that may actually increase a person's level of control but, again, it's luck of the draw that one would even posses that ability.

We seemed to be flipped with you saying we have much control vs. little we don't. I think the slice we have control over is thin.

As far as you saying I used free will to post that video. I had a narrow subset from which to post and reach my conclusions. There are other viewpoints out there I didn't post simply because I don't know about them or they wouldn't make sense to my mind even though they may be valid.

Old 01-19-2018, 09:35 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I agree with the bold and I think most people are doing that regardless of their religious beliefs.

I think the idea is more that you happen to be the type of person who would get up and go to work versus someone who wouldn't is the "luck" part. I see what he is saying is that everything that happens is built upon previous experiences and how that affected the mind you were given which you had no choice in.

I don't think the fact that we didn't choose our hardware or software that we run doesn't render intelligence, logic, or anything else unimportant. Just that it is what it is. I think understanding that may actually increase a person's level of control but, again, it's luck of the draw that one would even posses that ability.

We seemed to be flipped with you saying we have much control vs. little we don't. I think the slice we have control over is thin.

As far as you saying I used free will to post that video. I had a narrow subset from which to post and reach my conclusions. There are other viewpoints out there I didn't post simply because I don't know about them or they wouldn't make sense to my mind even though they may be valid.
Can one put his hand in fire and blame the luck for burned skin?

Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Can one put his hand in fire and blame the luck for burned skin?
I don't understand why you are seeking to introduce a concept like blame into this conversation. I don't even acknowledge blame as a valid response to a situation. I also think we may be using the term luck differently. I'm using it to say "that's just the way it turned out".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism