Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What faith were non-believers brought up with, if any?
7th Day Adventist 0 0%
Anglican 1 1.96%
Baptist 11 21.57%
Catholic, Roman Catholic 22 43.14%
Church of Christ 1 1.96%
Congregationalist 0 0%
Episcopalian 0 0%
Greek Orthodox 1 1.96%
Jehovah’s Witness 1 1.96%
Jewish 0 0%
Lutheran 5 9.80%
Methodist 7 13.73%
Mormon/LDS 0 0%
Muslim 0 0%
Nazarene 0 0%
Non-denominational 3 5.88%
Orthodox Christian/Eastern Orthodox 0 0%
Pagan/neo Pagan/ Wiccan 1 1.96%
Pentecostal 3 5.88%
Presbyterian 1 1.96%
Unitarian/Universalist 1 1.96%
Other (which) 4 7.84%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 12:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Raised Catholic, stopped going as soon as old enough to ride my bike to church by myself, about age 11-12 and would instead go to the local lake and fish, or buy breakfast at a restaurant. Supposedly, I was going to the 6:30am mass after my paper route.
I split from Catholic beliefs at 14. My friend Joe and I worked out a deal where I would tell my parents I was going to the 9 am mass, and instead went over and hung out at Joe's. Then we would tell his parents that we were going to the 10:30 am mass, and go back to my house and hang out, telling my parents that we had just come back from the 9 am service. Whether my folks saw through this transparency or not, they never said anything. In the case of my mother, I'm confident that simply the illusion that I was still aboard the Catholic train was sufficient. If she confronted me about the skipping she knew that she would get a blast of reason and rationality from me, for which she was not prepared to argue against. In the case of my father, who was faking belief, I think his only concern was whether or not all this was upsetting my mother. As long as she acted satisfied, so was he.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 01:32 PM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
weekly Mass-attending Catholic till age 18 or so

Old 02-15-2018, 03:12 PM

10,532 posts, read 6,167,855 times
I put both Anglican and Methodist. If we ever went to church as a family it was usually Anglican but I was in the girl guides (scouts) and we had to go to a Methodist church to parade our banner. My school was Anglican. All schools in the UK have some element of religion. But it was all very wishy-washy and watered down. I suspect my parents might have been agnostic since we never discussed religion at home. They were both quite scathing about religious idolatry like crosses and virgin mary's and whatnot.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:09 AM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
"non-denominational" means "Pentacostal" in disguise.
Often, but not necessarily. I attended a couple of large non-denom churches that were anti-charismatic. And the Bible Churches I grew up in had a strong non-denominational flavor, in fact, the organization they all belonged to, the IFCA, was not really a true denomination. It was just a doctrinal statement you'd subscribe to, they had a "pulpit supply" service of retired / semi-retired pastors who would fill in when your pastor was sick or you were between pastors, that kind of thing. Those churches were 100% locally governed, they were just subscribing to a generic "branding" for a certain flavor of literalist / inerrantist dogma. Bible Churches are DEFINITELY anti-charismatic / pentecostal, their mantra is "miracles are not for today".

Old 02-17-2018, 03:26 PM

5,488 posts, read 3,929,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
I put both Anglican and Methodist. If we ever went to church as a family it was usually Anglican but I was in the girl guides (scouts) and we had to go to a Methodist church to parade our banner. My school was Anglican. All schools in the UK have some element of religion. But it was all very wishy-washy and watered down. I suspect my parents might have been agnostic since we never discussed religion at home. They were both quite scathing about religious idolatry like crosses and virgin mary's and whatnot.
I saw an article in the newspaper yesterday that the Church of England has backed the idea of giving up plastics for Lent. Religion as a force for good!

Old 02-20-2018, 12:12 AM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
I saw an article in the newspaper yesterday that the Church of England has backed the idea of giving up plastics for Lent. Religion as a force for good!
Great! I'll put my leftovers in a ceramic bowl and cover it with foil. That will surely will help me feel closer to God.

Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 AM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Great! I'll put my leftovers in a ceramic bowl and cover it with foil. That will surely will help me feel closer to God.
Don't you just love religious fads.

Reminds me of my relatives when I was kid. They gave up meat on Fridays for lent. A great sacrafice since they loved seafood and fish.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:05 PM

557 posts, read 865,031 times
Baptist mostly with a little Methodist mixed in for flavor. Got educated and found out I was living a fantasy of not my own making.

Old 02-20-2018, 02:45 PM

12,285 posts, read 2,969,609 times
Interesting poll results. Thanks for participating.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:43 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Don't you just love religious fads.

Reminds me of my relatives when I was kid. They gave up meat on Fridays for lent. A great sacrafice since they loved seafood and fish.
I just had to goof up that post, didn't I?

We never ate meat on Friday. During Lent, you were supposed to give up something that would seriously hurt--like penny candy. Damn. My eldest brother, 12 years older, would go to the drug store and buy a pack of Yipes Stripes gum for me. He assured me that it wasn't penny candy and that I could chew it. Oh, there's a work around for that. It's kind of like Orthodox Jews with an eruv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism