Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2018, 12:10 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
I suspect that most Christians do not take the Bible as fact. It is considered to be symbolic and metaphoric. You are supposed to look beyond the superficial meanings.
Tell that to the Southern Baptists. But duck right quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 01:30 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
It's certainly a gem for some..."I'm not racist! It's science that says I'm superior!"
One thing I've learned is that race, gender and sexual orientation does not make one superior to another.

Quote:
I suspect that most Christians do not take the Bible as fact. It is considered to be symbolic and metaphoric. You are supposed to look beyond the superficial meanings.
This is called 'rewriting the Bible'.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
No. You don't spend it on charity really. You spend it on the hope of converting people to your religion via charitable work. Rather like the Ford Motor Company might donate one of it's cars to a charity in the hope that people will see the car and buy one from the company. What you spend $2 million a year on is not charity - but advertising.

I have seen your kind of Church first-hand and in the field, Bible in one hand and food bowl in the other. I have heard, with my own eyes' people from your kind of Church offering food to starving children with the words...'This comes from Jesus so you have to be thankful to him and believe in him. Say Thank You to Jesus now'.

It's a flounce Trans.
It is

Quote:
Oh we get what faith is well enough. It's the final stronghold of Christians that have had their arguments defeated by reason and logic. It's what they fall back on when the verifiable evidence tells them what they don't want to be true.

So tell us. What method do you use to determine what is symbolic and metaphoric and what is true. What ever it is, it doesn't seem to be working because it has resulted in some 30,000 different interpretations of what is symbolic and metaphoric and what is true. How, for example does one decide that the global flood is symbolic but the stories about Jesus are all true? It seems to most onlookers that the method one employs is simply...
'That which I like is true.'
That which I don't like is symbolic and metaphoric.'
Excellent post, Old Slasher,

Old 11-03-2018, 02:22 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
Quote:
Many Southern Baptists and other evangelicals have a VERY limited literary knowledge. Most fine literature, past and present, is considered inappropriate and heretical. So their literary understanding is very poor. Therefore, they don't even recognize when they are reading literature. Basic stuff goes over their heads.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
One thing I've learned is that race, gender and sexual orientation does not make one superior to another.

This is called 'rewriting the Bible'.
No, it's not. It's called reading literature. And it's really sad Transponder that someone as intelligent as yourself doesn't even understand that.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:30 AM

Right. I'd forgotten that. Point taken. IF it's just done as 'Reading Literature'.

If it's done with a view to making the Bible True when they can see that it isn't, it's what we call Rewriting the Bible. I hope that you can take the point on board without my having to cast any nasturshiums upon Your intellect.

Old 11-03-2018, 02:39 AM

The way that some skeptics just dismiss a religious and literary text which has endured for centuries before they were alive, and will probably do so for long after, just makes them look foolish sometimes. It's inspired people in all fields of knowledge. I'm being as reasonable and logical about this as I can.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:03 AM

Then it is entitled to the same amount of study and respect as any other piece of literature from the Bhaghavad -Gita to Shakespeare. And perhaps a bit extra because of the influence it had on Western Civilisation - perhaps as much as Greek and Roman literature did from the renaissance onward, when the Bible rather held the West back rather than helped it on. Apart from being a valuable piece of ancient literature, it's value to us has gone. And I'm being as fair to this Book that has spawned centuries of ignorance, hate, war, persecution and resistance to progress - and is still doing so - as i know how.

Old 11-03-2018, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Then it is entitled to the same amount of study and respect as any other piece of literature from the Bhaghavad -Gita to Shakespeare. And perhaps a bit extra because of the influence it had on Western Civilisation - perhaps as much as Greek and Roman literature did from the renaissance onward, when the Bible rather held the West back rather than helped it on. Apart from being a valuable piece of ancient literature, it's value to us has gone. And I'm being as fair to this Book that has spawned centuries of ignorance, hate, war, persecution and resistance to progress - and is still doing so - as i know how.
It has endured because it gives value and honor to the common man. The past religions seemed more like the Elite were the true gods. But Paul talks about every man having the true God inside of him. It deserves to endure for that reason.

John Crossan and his liberal Christian view, is what makes most sense to me. But I think that CS Lewis is probably even greater because, even if his own view is more liberal theistically, possibly universalist, he wrote in a way that honored even fundamentalists. And his fiction has remained popular even with nonbelievers.

Old 11-03-2018, 05:03 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
He doesn't sound angry to me. He sounds dismissive of what is tantamount to fiction.
Exactly. When I say Jimmy's god is immoral, it is a short cut for the idea of Jimmy's god. I should not need to say that I do not believe in this god, just as I never say Voldermort / Sauron or Darth Vader are fictional (yet are also evil).

Jimmy does not appear to understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism