Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 12:36 AM

51,460 posts, read 24,812,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
You ignored the question in #195 so i'll ask it again.
So the Hindu religious texts are true?
I'd like to see him answer that too. I'd like to see if he stands on his principles. But let's not stop with Hindu religious texts. All the Buddhist texts, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 02:46 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,923,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'd like to see him answer that too. I'd like to see if he stands on his principles. But let's not stop with Hindu religious texts. All the Buddhist texts, too.
...and the Zoroastrian texts. All older than his Bible. As he appears to be claiming that longevity equals truth, lets see if he agrees. Mind you! He's run away from everything else that I've asked. I see no reason why he won't run from this.

Old 11-04-2018, 03:06 AM

50,147 posts, read 20,937,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I am not representing that church's perspective, but more the perspective of John Dominic Crossan and other liberal Christians. But I respect the people in the evangelical churches, especially if their attendance in the fire and brimstone sermons gives them the ability to have the same attitude that you have without that. I would think that you would them there in those churches if that is what works for them.
I know that you are not representing that church's perspectives any more than I am - whatever you meant by the same attitude that I have. Pardon me, I will tell you what attitude I have; you don't tell me. What I am saying is that you and I share a rejection of such views and values and we should be working together to ensure that they do not get imposed on the whole USA.

Instead you are battling us because you see a value in the religion and the holy book that in fact you don't really believe but apparently have an emotional attachment to.

I have something of an emotional attachment to Buddhism, but I do not want a Buddhist UK. I want a secular humanist UK.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:34 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,952,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and the Zoroastrian texts. All older than his Bible. As he appears to be claiming that longevity equals truth, lets see if he agrees. Mind you! He's run away from everything else that I've asked. I see no reason why he won't run from this.
Good answer. You deserve a cracker.

So I guess now you guys are saying that it's okay if other people ridicule Hindu and Buddhist texts. Anything else you say will make you look like an idiot.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I know that you are not representing that church's perspectives any more than I am - whatever you meant by the same attitude that I have. Pardon me, I will tell you what attitude I have; you don't tell me. What I am saying is that you and I share a rejection of such views and values and we should be working together to ensure that they do not get imposed on the whole USA.

Instead you are battling us because you see a value in the religion and the holy book that in fact you don't really believe but apparently have an emotional attachment to.

I have something of an emotional attachment to Buddhism, but I do not want a Buddhist UK. I want a secular humanist UK.
If you find lots of truth in something that is different than an emotional attachment. I don't know why you don't understand that.

Old 11-04-2018, 06:20 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,133,135 times
Quote:
Good answer. You deserve a cracker.

So I guess now you guys are saying that it's okay if other people ridicule Hindu and Buddhist texts. Anything else you say will make you look like an idiot.
Of course it is ok to ridicule Hindu and Buddhist texts. Why wouldn’t it be?

You seem to have some vague thought that atheism is specifically anti-christian. It isn’t. It is, quite literally, without theism, which means atheists are not adherents of any system or structure of god-belief. Therefore, Hindu claims are just as silly as Christian claims. Insert any other religion into that phrase if you like, and you will begin to understand atheism.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Of course it is ok to ridicule Hindu and Buddhist texts. Why wouldn’t it be?

You seem to have some vague thought that atheism is specifically anti-christian. It isn’t. It is, quite literally, without theism, which means atheists are not adherents of any system or structure of god-belief. Therefore, Hindu claims are just as silly as Christian claims. Insert any other religion into that phrase if you like, and you will begin to understand atheism.
I believe there is only one mysterious God. So even Thor was just a human idea which was about the same God. So no, I don't understand the ridicule of any idea of God, even one that no one believes in anymore due to the evolution of society.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:34 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,363,983 times
Quote:
I believe there is only one mysterious God. So even Thor was just a human idea which was about the same God. So no, I don't understand the ridicule of any idea of God, even one that no one believes in anymore due to the evolution of society.
It's more the ridicule of many of the beliefs and the excuses of dumb or terrible stuff by the believers of any of those Gods.

Why should I respect a belief that goes entirely not only against all evidence to the contrary but defies all physical laws of science. For example those using river flood myths or even a flood event from the 16 or 17 hundreds to claim proof for Noah's flood? Why respect claims that there religion is not only true but peaceful when the history shows that the only reason the region is as popular as it is is because it was spread by the sword? Looking at you Islam and Christianity.

Why respect notions that subjugated other people? Why respect those that use religion to control politics, discriminate against women, gays, handicap folks etc. And if we do not believe in a God why should we excuse these wrong doings as the actions by humans? Anything good was also done by humans.

And more importantly why do you think it is more important for atheists to show respect even though believers not only show little respect for atheists but even less respect towards other religions or even worse for other flavors of their own religion.

I also don't understand your consistent need to put down atheism although much less so since you attended that one church.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:36 AM

16,892 posts, read 5,084,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandstander View Post
^ hey, c'mon jimmiej, tell him it's because of your "experience."
:d

Old 11-04-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
It's more the ridicule of many of the beliefs and the excuses of dumb or terrible stuff by the believers of any of those Gods.

Why should I respect a belief that goes entirely not only against all evidence to the contrary but defies all physical laws of science. For example those using river flood myths or even a flood event from the 16 or 17 hundreds to claim proof for Noah's flood? Why respect claims that there religion is not only true but peaceful when the history shows that the only reason the region is as popular as it is is because it was spread by the sword? Looking at you Islam and Christianity.

Why respect notions that subjugated other people? Why respect those that use religion to control politics, discriminate against women, gays, handicap folks etc. And if we do not believe in a God why should we excuse these wrong doings as the actions by humans? Anything good was also done by humans.

And more importantly why do you think it is more important for atheists to show respect even though believers not only show little respect for atheists but even less respect towards other religions or even worse for other flavors of their own religion.

I also don't understand your consistent need to put down atheism although much less so since you attended that one church.
What have you done specifically for women, gays, or handicap people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism