Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2018, 06:21 AM

16,832 posts, read 5,042,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I'm sure now there will be atheists who claim that all that necessary hard work is being done by atheists, even though they are a minority of the population. Fantasy worlds.
Yes, a fantasy world you set up to shoot down. A common tactic of yours. This is why we argue with you, because you rely on too many straw men to attack atheism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 08:35 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,403,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
No proof for any of this. Your freewill argument is useless when considering that this mythical god knows the future and still chose to create humans knowing he would torture most for eternity. No red flag there?

What would 'proof' matter? Even satan has FULL proof/evidence/knowledge of God, yet he still chooses to DISOBEY and separate himself from God. Separating oneself from God, who is all good & love, is the 'torture' one ends with, especially for a (hu)man who fails to seek/ask forgiveness that ALSO is freely given to man. A 'proof' that FORCES you to believe/obey is tantamount to making you a slave - this is never any part of Gods plan and opposite of it.

Being united with God is what He wills of every one of us - and this generation is fortunate to have been provided THE WAY to do such - even if one stumbles yet retains faith, hope, & love to end with such.

Old 11-05-2018, 08:41 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,272,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
What would 'proof' matter? Even satan has FULL proof/evidence/knowledge of God, yet he still chooses to DISOBEY and separate himself from God. Separating oneself from God, who is all good & love, is the 'torture' one ends with, especially for a (hu)man who fails to seek/ask forgiveness that ALSO is freely given to man. A 'proof' that FORCES you to believe/obey is tantamount to making you a slave - this is never any part of Gods plan and opposite of it.

Being united with God is what He wills of every one of us - and this generation is fortunate to have been provided THE WAY to do such - even if one stumbles yet retains faith, hope, & love to end with such.
The born-again dew is still damp on this one.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:17 AM

50,090 posts, read 20,843,621 times
Quote:
For all the lovely and wonderful deeds a person does that would make someone worthy of citizen of the year award, it seems like there is a ton of work being done under the surface that is not being shown. Atheists love to criticize religious people, but the fact is that religious people make up the majority of the population. And it was probably religious people who built their homes and who brought their food to them from the fields. But those kinds of things are just so mundane and not even worth mentioning.

I'm sure now there will be atheists who claim that all that necessary hard work is being done by atheists, even though they are a minority of the population. Fantasy worlds.
Oh come on. You are getting desperate. People do their jobs as part of society. And you want to give Christianity the credit for that? Have you any idea how lame that sounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Are you insinuating that if all those workers weren't religious, the work wouldn't have gotten done?
Quote:
I hadn't thought of that, but you bring up a good question.
Now that's good enough that I withdraw my post above. You are willing to consider the point. Many a Believer would have brushed it aside, dismissed it with the Bias card or changed the subject. Let's see how you respond.

Quote:
Maybe someone should start a thread showing the statistics of professions held by atheists. But I think this will probably be swept under the rug. Or an atheist will hire someone to sweep for them.
Ah. Not so good. Arguing (and it fielding it as a refutation of the point) that atheists do not contribute anything and only believers do anything useful and productive. Whether or not any such stats are available, you are dismissing any evidence, in advance, as being covered up and lied about by the atheists, just to cover yourself against refutation.

I think I have to reinstate my post above.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-05-2018 at 09:25 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:

Your point about Satan - that it is inconceivable that he should have instigated a rebellion he could not win for a job that he could not do and persuaded a load of angels to go along with this - is the reason that we do not credit your claim. Even without the crystal -clear evidence in the Bible (if one has their eyes and mind open) that Satan was simply God's gofor.

You at least seem to distance yourself from eternal torment and opt instead for 'Separation'. Well CCCp, Separation sounds great to me, so your selling -point rather fails. Unless Separation entails some kind of torment, in which case your tactical shift away from Bad God is back to Square 1.

Old 11-05-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
The born-again dew is still damp on this one.

Yes it is! Thanks for noticing
I've spent 50+ years searching and resisting - hopefully this time will stick, & 'keep me damp' forever.
And just to tie this back into the OP's original post, the bible is a compilation (using mans imperfect words/language) to convey the Will of The Living God, so that man, can eventually understand it, and participate in it. Deep understanding & confidence comes to those that truly seek it!

Old 11-05-2018, 10:42 AM

Well, that's partly telling us how many are Christians. It doesn't tell us How. I mean, the process. Sitting down and reading the Bible? By the time you are as far as Judges, you are having to dismiss so much Will of God as 'imperfect human' stuff, that you surely need to have been sucked into Biblefaith before you even picked the book up.

Yes, I'm curious. I always like to read deconversion -stories (we all need a bit of Bias -confirmation ) but I'd love to hear your story of what sorta atheist you were, and how your fifty years of study led you to Faith in a Book half of which you had to dismiss as human error. I promise i won't crit a single word of it

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-05-2018 at 11:26 AM..

Old 11-05-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Your point about Satan - that it is inconceivable that he should have instigated a rebellion he could not win for a job that he could not do and persuaded a load of angels to go along with this - is the reason that we do not credit your claim. Even without the crystal -clear evidence in the Bible (if one has their eyes and mind open) that Satan was simply God's gofor.

The every detail of how or why satan fell, is info not necessary for man to understand Gods plan for our salvation - only that it did happen (Jude 6) . I dunno, maybe he(they) insisted on knowing parts of Gods plan that he(they) were not privy to know, or knew and refused to cooperate?? doesn't really matter.

You at least seem to distance yourself from eternal torment and opt instead for 'Separation'. Well CCCp, Separation sounds great to me, so your selling -point rather fails. Unless Separation entails some kind of torment, in which case your tactical shift away from Bad God is back to Square 1.

Sorry if that wasnt clear; maybe this will help: From what I understand of God, He being everything that is good, separation from Him would leave one in state of total deprivation of everything that is good - I dunno, maybe take away everything that is good is kinda like being suffocated in no space in total darkness no sound no hope no love hatred for everyone kinda like being buried alive without ever dying - total madness of mind, forever - and blaming everybody else except yourself who made that choice.
This is one I really DONT want to know the exact details of

^

Old 11-05-2018, 10:53 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,217,482 times
Quote:
What would 'proof' matter? Even satan has FULL proof/evidence/knowledge of God, yet he still chooses to DISOBEY and separate himself from God.
You are making the error of using a conclusion as proof of the conclusion.

It would be akin to arguing that Robin Hood must have been real because in the stories he was beloved by too many people to not have been real.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
CCCp
Quote:
The every detail of how or why satan fell, is info not necessary for man to understand Gods plan for our salvation - only that it did happen (Jude 6) . I dunno, maybe he(they) insisted on knowing parts of Gods plan that he(they) were not privy to know, or knew and refused to cooperate?? doesn't really matter.

Arq -quote
Quote:
CCCp
Quote:
Sorry if that wasnt clear; maybe this will help: From what I understand of God, He being everything that is good, separation from Him would leave one in state of total deprivation of everything that is good - I dunno, maybe take away everything that is good is kinda like being suffocated in no space in total darkness no sound no hope no love hatred for everyone kinda like being buried alive without ever dying - total madness of mind, forever - and blaming everybody else except yourself who made that choice.
This is one I really DONT want to know the exact details of
=CCCyou;53558123]^[/quote] quote function tidied up without prejudice or extra expense.

The first is no more than 'it's in the Bible, so it happened. I don't care whether it makes sense or not".

The second part is - as I said - back to square one. If it is Torment, then it's Hell, if it isn't, then I see no reason to believe the god claims that do not make sense. In fact what does make sense is that no kind of eternal existence would be anything but hell unless your mind, soul or whatever was on a permanent mindlessness drip -feed, and that is as much separation or oblivion or eternal death or non -existence as makes no difference. Eternal life is not a reward, it is a short - sighted escape from the fear of death.

I wouldn't mind an afterlife - but not an eternal one. I wouldn't mind a few rebirths, but only if I can remember what I did here, or it might as well be somebody else. It WOULD be somebody else. Since I see no really convincing evidence for either of those, Oblivion seems a merciful escape from the threats of either hell or heaven.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 11-05-2018 at 11:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism