Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 03:41 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What you describe is not uncommon, plenty of people have led lives which seemed to defy normal odds, so you aren't in a position to claim something otherwise impossible.

Plus, anecdote is not evidence, or at least it shouldn't be employed as evidence.
Yes that is true lots of people win the lotto
But then again you might be dismissing a mountain of effort and saying the luck god did it
I have known some lotto winners —-very diligent and consistent
Just like me
For those that believe in god they feel their consistency and persistence are god directed
I guess you could say that about those who worship the luck god but the successful are not just lucky -they work at it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2019, 05:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Yes that is true lots of people win the lotto
But then again you might be dismissing a mountain of effort and saying the luck god did it
I have known some lotto winners —-very diligent and consistent
Just like me
For those that believe in god they feel their consistency and persistence are god directed
I guess you could say that about those who worship the luck god but the successful are not just lucky -they work at it
Luck god? That appears to be your concept, certainly not mine. Recognition of the role of chance in one's life is not on par with postulating some unseen power controlling all or portions of that luck.

That you feel something doesn't make that something true or false, that isn't a proper test for veracity. If you have decided to believe something because it makes you feel good, swell, but don't expect others, or at least don't expect me, to treat the belief seriously.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:01 PM

12,326 posts, read 2,972,196 times
Default I'm liking this (admittedly imperfect and no doubt incomplete) list!

I'm going to add to this as suggested from posts on here or my own thoughts. Added number 8 onward.
It's okay if some of these overlap and obviously not every point applies to every (professed) believer.

1. fear of hell or eternal torture for being imperfect and not worshiping a so-called jealous gawd
2. fear of family rejection because the family prefers ditching a loved one to #3. below
3. fear of social rejection, lost jobs and friendships or romantic relationships, go along to get along
4. low IQ and can't see beyond what they're taught or told
5. indoctrination at a young age so it's "reality", haven't yet outgrown what was taught, even as an adult
6. sociopaths and the need to control others for money or sex
7. sociopaths can claim a new revelation to make changes as needed to control the sheep
8. cultural identity and norms, a part of their identity as a person and family/community member
9. a personal event or experience perceived as supernatural or inspirational
10. perceived salvation due to drinking or drug abuse, controlling such addictions
11. replacing addictions such as drinking or drugs with an addiction to religion
12. attempting to raise children with moral or ethical teaching they don't know how to provide otherwise
13. "the universe is so complicated" gawd must be, gave up responsibility for discerning what is and isn't true or even likely
14. the need to see purpose in life
15. projection, projecting our minds onto the world in attempts to better understand it
16. the need to see things in the form of a story to explain why we are here and what we should do
17. the need to assign agency to natural phenomena, animism
18. believe their life experience is exceptional, thus gawd
19. people around them believe and reinforce any religious delusions they may have
20. the perceived answer to various personal problems
21. social acceptance, belonging, sense of community, respectability
22. prosperity gospel, wish for money and easy life through gawd's blessings
23. belief it worked for someone else
24. marry someone of faith or a different faith
25. alleviate sense of guilt for past wrongdoing
26. substitute for therapy or other rational approaches, relieves depression, etc. without solving issues
27. believed necessary to control one's behavior or the behavior of others
28. mistaking the function of the higher mind as gawd, letting the Id lead the Ego or vice versa
29. sanctimony, sense of self-importance, reinforced by believing an omnipotent being directs every detail of their life
30. desire for revenge, belief that gawd will punish anyone who disagrees with them or defies their beliefs, "gawd will get you for that" mentality
31. envy, punishment for those living a better life, also a "gawd will get you for that" mentality
32. anger at perceived defiance of those who don't happen to believe or profess the same

added

I have seen number 11. in someone I know personally.

Old 06-11-2019, 06:43 AM

6,222 posts, read 4,014,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
1. fear of hell or eternal torture for being imperfect and not worshiping a so-called jealous gawd
2. fear of family rejection because the family prefers ditching a loved one to #3. below
3. fear of social rejection, lost jobs and friendships or romantic relationships
4. low IQ and can't see beyond what they're taught or told
5. indoctrination at a young age so it's their "reality", haven't yet outgrown what was taught
6. sociopaths and the need to control others for money or sex
7. sociopaths can claim a new revelation to make changes as needed to control the sheep

Fear, low IQ, sociopaths, youthful naivete. What else?
no need for there NOT to be any God(s), unlike Pascal's wager.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:19 PM

311 posts, read 194,688 times
This is rather silly.

There are only three reasons that people believe things:

1. Logic. Someone sits down, thinks about it and decides "That makes sense to me." This covers reasons for God's existence such as "Everything created must have a Creator. Therefore, God."
2. Evidence. This covers explanations such as "Archaeological proofs exist for many things in the Bible (places, people, etc.) so it's likely that the rest of it is true too."
3. Testimony. I would guess that the vast number of people who believe in religious themes do so because of testimony. Much of Christian outreach focuses on witnessing in which a person or a group of people tell about their personal experiences with God. It may be as simple as "My life was a wreck. I found Jesus and got saved. Now I have a job, a car, and I'm not arguing with my parents as much." Others may involve personal feelings such as peace in the heart, seeing visions, speaking in tongues(babbling), etc.

In short, most people fall into one of 4 categories:

Rationalists.
Empiricists.
Theists.
Nihilists (those who don't believe in anything).

Many of the things on the list (fear of hell or family rejection) are not really reasons that people believe. Rather they would be reasons that people profess to believe although they actually don't.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:22 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
one more last chance.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:36 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Did we list getting or keeping your job?

Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
2. Evidence. This covers explanations such as "Archaeological proofs exist for many things in the Bible (places, people, etc.) so it's likely that the rest of it is true too."
Archeology and anthropology disprove things, too, like the Exodus. It never happened, but people ignore that evidence.

Archeology and anthropology also prove that Canaanite culture and Hebrew culture are indistinguishable.

That came to light when disproving the Exodus. Only 3 of the 16 cities were actually destroyed and two of those cities that were destroyed were destroyed by "sea-peoples."

Of the sole remaining city, it's unknown if the Canaanites did it or the Hebrews, because it's virtually impossible to distinguish between the two cultures. Myself, I'm inclined to believe the Hebrews actually did do it.

People are dismissive of other evidence, too.

Why do you suppose the Book of Job has more than 100 Sumerian-Akkadian loan-words?

That's because the Sumerians wrote it first. Then the Akkadians copied it. And the Mari, Nuzi, Mitanni, Hurrians, Hittites, Gutians, Cassites and Elbaites copied it.

And then the Ugarits copied it.

And, finally, the Hebrews copied it.

The god El Shaddai appears 31 times in Job. El Shaddai is the Akkadian name for the Sumerian god Ninurta. According to both Sumerian and Akkadian texts, Ur was the principal city for Ninurta and he had his temple there. I mention that because in Genesis is states that Tehran, the father of Abrahm and Serai was a priest at Ur.

If you examine that, you cannot use the King Joke Vision. You have to use the Hebrew texts.

The King Joke Vision substitutes Yahweh for El Shaddai. Why? Because they lie. They don't want you to know the truth, because then you'd start asking questions and questions are bad for religion.

Worse than that, you might actually come to learn that the Ugarit pantheon was El (or Bull-El if you prefer), Ba'al, El Elyon, El Berith, El Shaddai, Yam, Mot, Asherah, Dagon, Kothar, Lothan, and Yahweh.

And then you'd ask: "What the hell is Yahweh doing there?"

Again with the questions. Those were the gods the Hebrews worshiped before they copied the Babylonian and adopted a single god as their national god.

That, of course, raises even more questions and questions are bad for religion.

The King Joke Vision lies a lot.

There's two stories of Jesus casting out demons near the Sea of Galilee, and the demons allegedly take over the bodies of 2,000 pigs, who kill themselves by running into the Sea of Galilee.

If you read the manuscripts, you should have lots of questions, but questions are bad for religion.

So, the King Joke Vision lies, so you don't ask questions.

Mark says Jesus cast the demons out of one man, while Matthew claims it was two men.

Which one is right?

Not only can't Mark and Matthew agree on how many men it was, they can't even agree on where it happened.

Mark says it happened at Gerasa and Matthew claimed it happened at Gadara, and neither are exactly on the Sea of Galilee. From Gadara, it'd be a five minute car ride if you're going 60 MPH. From Gerasa, it's a 30 minute drive going 60 MPH.

The King Joke Vision changes the location to Gerge, which is really deceitful on their part, but then again, their job is to ensure you don't ask any questions.

Not only are those three towns different, they're inhabited by three different ethnic groups.

If you get the manuscripts, and do location blocking, that is, "Where was Jesus?" and then where did he go next and then after that, you'll see hundreds of conflicts.

The four gospel writers can't agree on anything. Then do people blocking, "Who was Jesus with?" That's a freaking nightmare. Matthew says Jesus was here with these disciples, and Luke says, no, he was with these disciples, and John says, no, it was these disciples.

Then action blocking, "What was Jesus doing or saying?" That's a mess, too. Like I said, Matthew claims Jesus was at Gadara casting demons out of two men, while Mark says Jesus was at Gerasa casting demons out of one man only. Dozens and dozens and dozens of those kinds of conflicts.

They cannot even agree when Jesus was crucified.

John says Jesus was crucified on Wednesday, and Matthew, Mark and Luke say it was a different day.

I'll warn you in advance, the manuscripts are expensive, as in pricey. Some are annotated or have commentary, and those are even more expensive. If you buy one that has annotations or commentary, just make sure it's not from an Apologist.

It's worth it to spring for the annotated, because it will tell you the manuscript, you know, Bodmer, Chester Beatty, E1, E13, or the codex, like Codex Bezae, Codex Cantabrigiensis, or Codex
Boernerianus, and the school, like Alexandrian, Byzantine, Cesarean, Roman, Coptic, etc. The schools have different views on the "virgin birth" (some don't accept it) and the divinity of Jesus and the meaning of the crucifixion or resurrection and such.

It gives dates, too. For example, the Pericopa of the Adulteress doesn't appear in any manuscript prior to the 11th Century and a lot of things were inserted centuries after the fact, plus some things were edited to change the text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zosimus View Post
3. Testimony. I would guess that the vast number of people who believe in religious themes do so because of testimony. Much of Christian outreach focuses on witnessing in which a person or a group of people tell about their personal experiences with God. It may be as simple as "My life was a wreck. I found Jesus and got saved. Now I have a job, a car, and I'm not arguing with my parents as much." Others may involve personal feelings such as peace in the heart, seeing visions, speaking in tongues(babbling), etc.
The testimony is irrelevant, because it's subjective. Not only is it subjective, it doesn't work out that way for everyone, and who's to say Allah or Shiva or Santa Claus couldn't have done the same?

Anything that is subjective cannot by definition be evidence, because evidence is totally objective.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:57 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,744,698 times
Very good post.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:01 PM

63,826 posts, read 40,118,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Anything that is subjective cannot by definition be evidence, because evidence is totally objective.
NOTHING evaluated and interpreted by human beings is EVER "totally objective" because we are unavoidably subjective creatures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism