Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 05:43 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post

Highly individual and personal...yes...which is exactly why proselytizing should stop. Everyone I know is very familiar of the religious opportunities around them. We have over 20 churches in my community, and most have their electronic billboards, or in one case Burma-Shave-style signs. If people are intelligent enough to think about religion, they're intelligent enough to find a place to worship.
Well i'm not affiliated or connected to any religion, but i'm not sure why we have to stop discussing possibilities. If you don't want to discuss Phetaroi, why are you engaging in these discussions that inevitably get into personal experiences and opinions? Perhaps the Atheism and Agnosticism section should be splintered because they are not one in the same. This particular thread however involves a deity so yeah - it's gonna be part of the discussion. You seem so riled about it. You sort of delved into it a bit, but I think some of your frustrations are misplaced. Honestly, i'm just here enjoying the discussion and seeing if I can capture anything interesting on the topic matters. This is something you do with a drink and take with a grain of salt. So i'd say, take it easy and be nice. Challenge people but you can be a gentleman/woman about it.

Personally, I think there is a place for all of us in this area without having to get so frustrated.

Quote:
"Get over it" can mean a lot of things.
ok i'll bite. When i die and if there is no god, I can assure you I won't be dissapointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 05:59 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well i'm not affiliated or connected to any religion, but i'm not sure why we have to stop discussing possibilities. If you don't want to discuss Phetaroi, why are you engaging in these discussions that inevitably get into personal experiences and opinions? Perhaps the Atheism and Agnosticism section should be splintered because they are not one in the same. This particular thread however involves a deity so yeah - it's gonna be part of the discussion. You seem so riled about it. You sort of delved into it a bit, but I think some of your frustrations are misplaced. Honestly, i'm just here enjoying the discussion and seeing if I can capture anything interesting on the topic matters. This is something you do with a drink and take with a grain of salt. So i'd say, take it easy and be nice. Challenge people but you can be a gentleman/woman about it.

Personally, I think there is a place for all of us in this area without having to get so frustrated.

ok i'll bite. When i die and if there is no god, I can assure you I won't be dissapointed.
I don't know why I have to keep going over this. I am talking about "real life", not this discussion forum where people go if interested in exchanging ideas.

What is not clear about that?

What I am not here for is you psychoanalyzing me or others.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know why I have to keep going over this. I am talking about "real life", not this discussion forum where people go if interested in exchanging ideas.

What is not clear about that?

What I am not here for is you psychoanalyzing me or others.
Cheers and have a drink!

Old 08-21-2022, 06:06 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Cheers and have a drink!
I suggest a nice peach spritz.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
I suggest a nice peach spritz.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:49 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
also this forum is real life. it is a real discussion forum, with real people posting, who are engaged in real discussion and real conversation with other real people. in a real thread on CD which is in the real section for real discussions of real topics on religion and spirituality, a real person engaged in the real behavior of calling other real people "dirtbags." that real behavior is a real reflection of how that person really treats others.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:05 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
also this forum is real life. it is a real discussion forum, with real people posting, who are engaged in real discussion and real conversation with other real people. in a real thread on CD which is in the real section for real discussions of real topics on religion and spirituality, a real person engaged in the real behavior of calling other real people "dirtbags." that real behavior is a real reflection of how that person really treats others.
People he does not even know.

Old 08-21-2022, 08:22 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
a saying i quite like and have remembered, is that "a person's integrity is how they behave when no one is around, when no one is watching, when no one will know."

Old 08-21-2022, 08:30 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, it's not real life in the sense that folks don't randomly meet on the street to talk about religion.

This is a unique environment.

Old 08-22-2022, 04:58 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,971,895 times
Quote:
Why presume it is possible for there to be god? Well why presume it is possible for there not to be a god?
I will just answer these few points, as I have things to do.

An alternative to gods is naturalism. We have evidence for naturalism, so the alternative is not presuming anything.

Quote:
Why is there something and not nothing. Wouldn't it be more logical for there to be nothing than something.
No, because if there was absolutely nothing (including gods), then there would be no rules to say how absolutely nothing should behave, which means there would be no rules to say absolutely nothing should remain absolutely nothing.

And the only other alternative is an eternal something, so no god is required to explain why things exist.

Quote:
No, we do not assume that god is omnipotent.
The argument you responded to does. But I agree, if gods do exist, why would any of them need to be omni anything? The people who describe the attributes of their gods have no evidence their description is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism