Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2022, 09:05 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the opening specifically asks about theists.
it asks specifically "how do theists reconcile"

so yeah, the opening post is asking directly about the theism of theists.
which is not the same thing as the "opinion of atheists and agnostics"
You don't seem to understand the concept of a forum. I used to have a sign on my classroom door: "All who enter participate". The difference here is that "All who enter may participate". But if you really want to push it, why are you -- not an atheist -- in the atheist part of the forum. Oh, I forgot...to lecture us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2022, 09:07 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
the opening specifically asks about theists.
it asks specifically "how do theists reconcile"

so yeah, the opening post is asking directly about the theism of theists.
which is not the same thing as the "opinion of atheists and agnostics"
Well - oddly enough we are still in the Atheism and Agnosticism section so perhaps this thread should have been posted elsewhere if atheists and agnostics' opinion are invalid. Based on this, I will therefore unilaterally decide, using my own free will to provide my opinion on the matter. Theists and the like who aren't interested, can simply ignore me if they find my commentary inappropriate.

I mean after all - god values us all.. no

Old 08-14-2022, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Well - oddly enough we are still in the Atheism and Agnosticism section so perhaps this thread should have been posted elsewhere if atheists and agnostics' opinion are invalid. Based on this, I will therefore unilaterally decide, using my own free will to provide my opinion on the matter. Theists and the like who aren't interested, can simply ignore me if they find my commentary inappropriate.

I mean after all - god values us all.. no
No...because we aren't special!

We were apparently created by a different god over in the next county.

Old 08-14-2022, 09:13 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Well this is the atheism and agnosticism section, so I don't think it is that clear cut that everyone here doesn't believe in the possibility of a god/gods. It is ok to ask such people their opinions on it. Spirituality itself doesn't have to be a direction connection to theism either. As a matter of fact, individuals in this section may provide more of an untarnished perspective, than theists linked to religions may be confined to.

There is nothing wrong with being 'wishy washy' about this stuff. Who really knows

Actually there are 'scales of belief' among Atheist's and Agnostics.
regarding bold above, if you believe that "atheists and agnostics provide more of an untarnished perspective on theism, than theists linked to religions"

then using that logic, it would follow that that "theists linked to religions provide more of an untarnished perspective on atheism and agnosticism, than do atheists and agnostics."

and no, that is not a "matter of fact" it is an opinion.
maybe learn the difference between fact and opinion, that would help in discussions on any topic.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:08 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
To the origin title of the thread. If there is a god or spiritual beings, they do not have an obligation to be 'caring' - our experiences do not all have to be good. As tragic as that may seem. As a matter of fact, the existence of evil does not mean that there is an evil inspiration that is naturally pitted against good. These are simply part of the fabric of existence. Much like there are protons and anti-protons.

This may not be very comforting but it may be just the way it is. Perhaps the fact that love, caring and kindness exists at all is more than enough inspiration from god that we can choose them. It isn't forced upon and of course, we can choose evil as well. The universe is messy, we are messy, does god have to be 'clean'
Great post. Loved reading it.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
regarding bold above, if you believe that "atheists and agnostics provide more of an untarnished perspective on theism, than theists linked to religions"

then using that logic, it would follow that that "theists linked to religions provide more of an untarnished perspective on atheism and agnosticism, than do atheists and agnostics."

and no, that is not a "matter of fact" it is an opinion.
maybe learn the difference between fact and opinion, that would help in discussions on any topic.
Regarding your posts in general with me this is what i'm getting:

only theists are qualified to answer the topic question and engage in a discussion about it. Everyone else buzz off and shut up.

Instead of meaningfully engaging in a discussion where thoughts and ideas flow, you prefer to isolate minor technicalities that make little or no difference in moving the discussion one way or the other.

When I said as a matter of fact, it was a figure of speach. Everything i'm writing in here, as with everyone else for that matter, especially about this topic is an opinion. Science is better able to deal with facts than religion in my opinion.

As for whether a theist would provide a more untarnished perspective on atheism and agnosticism. Perhaps! I'd rather you make a case for that than nitpick technicalities that don't really contribute to this thread much at all. That said, you do you.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Regarding your posts in general with me this is what i'm getting:

only theists are qualified to answer the topic question and engage in a discussion about it. Everyone else buzz off and shut up.

Instead of meaningfully engaging in a discussion where thoughts and ideas flow, you prefer to isolate minor technicalities that make little or no difference in moving the discussion one way or the other.

When I said as a matter of fact, it was a figure of speach. Everything i'm writing in here, as with everyone else for that matter, especially about this topic is an opinion. Science is better able to deal with facts than religion in my opinion.

As for whether a theist would provide a more untarnished perspective on atheism and agnosticism. Perhaps! I'd rather you make a case for that than nitpick technicalities that don't really contribute to this thread much at all. That said, you do you.
Definitely.

Old 08-15-2022, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Great post. Loved reading it.
Thanks buddy!

Old 08-15-2022, 08:41 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Thanks buddy!
Most welcome!

Quote:
. I really do think, religions on the whole may have been rooted in fundamental questioning on how and why we are here - a root curiosity, but they have man's fingerprints all over them, and are almost anything about gods word. I cannot dissociated religion with man when his hands are all over it.
In my experience if one is able to read and get close to the texts that were inspired by this fundamental questioning, on the how and why, there is much value. The fundamental message that you elucidated - the love and kindness that exists and is there for the taking (sorry for the paraphrasing) as ample evidence of a divinity that exists - i find is reflected in all ancient religious texts. It is hard work to get at this simple message, but worth the effort to be able to see the link that connects all these inspirations of various religions. After filtering out all those fingerprints of course

Old 08-15-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
In my experience if one is able to read and get close to the texts that were inspired by this fundamental questioning, on the how and why, there is much value. The fundamental message that you elucidated - the love and kindness that exists and is there for the taking (sorry for the paraphrasing) as ample evidence of a divinity that exists - i find is reflected in all ancient religious texts. It is hard work to get at this simple message, but worth the effort to be able to see the link that connects all these inspirations of various religions. After filtering out all those fingerprints of course
thanks. I will keep this in mind and not focus solely on the fingerprints!

Last edited by fusion2; 08-15-2022 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism