Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2022, 09:28 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
No, because religion is a demonstration of principles, and principles usually carry a positive connotation. Where it does become an issue is when principles become more important than people. That is not to say that principles should be put aside, but I think it is important to recognize when others can't relate or need support to make it work for them. That is because a single principle carries a foundation that cannot often be replicated. To give a more visual example, think of a tip of an iceberg which is the principle and then the hidden ice underneath the surface of the water, the foundation.

For this atheist, believing in God is viewed as a principled action. Following a religion is viewed as a principled action. When believers have an expectation for the rest of us to follow suit, their perspective is that they are placing God above all else (a.k.a. God first), but in my view as an atheist, they have placed their principles higher than everything else including their own God.
Nicely written. But then you have to reconcile people/groups who have done bad things in the name of religion. That's where it gets difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 10:42 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,157,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Nicely written. But then you have to reconcile people/groups who have done bad things in the name of religion. That's where it gets difficult.
Religion is made up of principles. Sometimes principles are placed above people which is fine when the decision-making process is clear and the people agree to it and can use it to their benefit. When a certain group is favored over another because of a principle, then it becomes "bad". Another approach would be to disregard a principle in order to favor one group of people over another.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:29 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,012,752 times
Quote:
Atheism simply defines theism; it places a limitation on it in order to know more about what theism might be. Sure, some see this limitation as a "stop" or "end" to God belief, but to me, it fits in the scheme of how a human mind works. That is, to define things in order to know them more. This emotional perception of "stopping" or "ending" religion is not due to atheism. It's because of human thinking.

It doesn't make sense to me to say atheists are free because they don't follow a religion, but on the other hand call religious followers enlightened, which often signifies freedom.
Correction. Enlightened as in evolved thinking, like the renaissance. I did not specify religious people are enlightened, but those who made a secular society, and laid down the foundation for separation of religion and state with laws, and preserved the freedom to practice of religion and conscience with laws.
This is only in reference to the west. In the east, administration of the state was always separate from religion. Religion was always free.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I'm not using a dictionary definition of define. Instead, its orthographic denotation is being applied; dictionaries alone are not enough for me to understand words. I have heard it said to me, "God brought you into my life." My thought is "No, not God. Elyn." That alone can make a person an atheist, which is why I use the label. Otherwise, I wouldn't call myself one. So I agree that without theism, atheism would have no relevance.
Bolded - absolutely true. And this why atheism lacks logic. Theism is a belief that god/divinity/Brahman exists. It is faith, faith that stands on a firm ground of conviction. This faith in divinity is part of me, it lives in my mind and body. It is no exaggeration to say God exists because my faith exists in my mind.
If you have no such faith there IS no god. One cannot deny the existence of what does not exist. An atheist cannot have access to my faith, or divinity that exists because of my faith, and deny it exists.
Atheism truly has no relevance because it lacks logic.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:14 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
lets see, reconcile a system when some of its bad people do bad things in name of it. That aint hard to reconcile at. Unless of course we are all or nothing.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:15 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Bolded - absolutely true. And this why atheism lacks logic. Theism is a belief that god/divinity/Brahman exists. It is faith, faith that stands on a firm ground of conviction. This faith in divinity is part of me, it lives in my mind and body. It is no exaggeration to say God exists because my faith exists in my mind.
If you have no such faith there IS no god. One cannot deny the existence of what does not exist. An atheist cannot have access to my faith, or divinity that exists because of my faith, and deny it exists.
Atheism truly has no relevance because it lacks logic.
Some atheist lack logic. Most atheist understand that the belief in some thing more is far more reliable than the reverse. Most atheist understand that its ok to believe when observations support that belief.

Just like in theism.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Correction. Enlightened as in evolved thinking, like the renaissance. I did not specify religious people are enlightened, but those who made a secular society, and laid down the foundation for separation of religion and state with laws, and preserved the freedom to practice of religion and conscience with laws.
This is only in reference to the west. In the east, administration of the state was always separate from religion. Religion was always free.
That is not true about 'the East'.

In Thailand the government and the Sangha are terribly intertwined, even to the extent of monks actively participating in royal government ceremonies and the blessing of military equipment.

In Malaysia there is a whole issue of bumiputera where the government gives clear and overwhelming preference in many aspects of daily life to Muslims, often to the exclusion of Chinese and Indians.

Old 06-15-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
That is not true about 'the East'.

In Thailand the government and the Sangha are terribly intertwined, even to the extent of monks actively participating in royal government ceremonies and the blessing of military equipment.

In Malaysia there is a whole issue of bumiputera where the government gives clear and overwhelming preference in many aspects of daily life to Muslims, often to the exclusion of Chinese and Indians.
I feel bad for you that you have had some terrible experiences that have turned you against religion and spirituality. So much so you are unable to see how evil politics, and corporate greed, are in using religion as a tool to divide people and cause wars. You have lost all discrimination. You see that happening right here in the country you live in, and yet you seem beyond comprehension, and point to the East as if it is something new.
It is sad thing that you claim to be an educator of some kind.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:18 PM

Quote:
I feel bad for you that you have had some terrible experiences that have turned you against religion and spirituality. So much so you are unable to see how evil politics, and corporate greed, are in using religion as a tool to divide people and cause wars. You have lost all discrimination. You see that happening right here in the country you live in, and yet you seem beyond comprehension, and point to the East as if it is something new.
It is sad thing that you claim to be an educator of some kind.
It's sad that rather than address issues you make vile personal attacks. You don't know anything about my personal experiences regarding religion. I haven't had any "terrible experiences". I simply stopped believing. Nothing "terrible" about it.

And you also know nothing about my professional life (although I am retired), and so there is no need to bring that in.

Now to get back to the actual topic: Do politicians and corporations use religion? Of course. But it works in the direction, as well. Religion uses politics and corporations to further their goals. It is an unholy alliance in both directions.

Personally, I can't think of a better example of that than the partitioning of India. "200,000 to 2 million deaths; 10 to 20 million displaced". And don't tell us it wasn't about religion -- it was the division of the country along lines of Hindus versus Muslims. And don't tell us that Muslim and Hindu politicians weren't directly involved in it, and in fact led it.

Old 06-15-2022, 07:26 PM

Quote:
It's sad that rather than address issues you make vile personal attacks. You don't know anything about my personal experiences regarding religion. I haven't had any "terrible experiences". I simply stopped believing. Nothing "terrible" about it.

And you also know nothing about my professional life (although I am retired), and so there is no need to bring that in.

Now to get back to the actual topic: Do politicians and corporations use religion? Of course. But it works in the direction, as well. Religion uses politics and corporations to further their goals. It is an unholy alliance in both directions.

Personally, I can't think of a better example of that than the partitioning of India. "200,000 to 2 million deaths; 10 to 20 million displaced". And don't tell us it wasn't about religion -- it was the division of the country along lines of Hindus versus Muslims. And don't tell us that Muslim and Hindu politicians weren't directly involved in it, and in fact led it.
Everybody who has hung around here knows all your stories so it is no secret, your histories, your religion, every damn thing about you. whether one wants to or not you force your biography into your posts as if it has some wisdom in it that you share. There is zero wisdom that you can share.
You have no idea about the tragedy of the partition. You think you can pick up bits and pieces from the web and think you can use it as some kind of an argument. Honestly, you are a disservice to the teaching profession. I feel bad for the teachers who had to report to you.
Pick up a book on Colonial history, Indian Independence, and the horrendous wound of Partition inflicted on India as the the Brits departed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism