Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2022, 02:08 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want, as long as they don't try to impose it on others, whether going door-to-door like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, or starting wars over religious differences. Even recent wars have been based on religious differences, such as the Iran–Iraq War, Bosnian War and the Sudanese Civil War.
CB2000. Here is the only post that you claimed that arheists state that religion was the cause of wars. A single post by one postrr who posted about some recent wars about religious differences. Bit to you when a single atheists poat something you do not like tjen all atheists are then tarred with the same brush. The post did not even claim that most wars were bevause of religion or that religion was the only cause of war.

Now you are claiming that the discussion is about religion is nit the cause for wars. No that is .the only comments you approce of but that is not the discussion others are having. The discussion is more on religion being one of tje causes for war and just because you do not accept any opinion other than your own does not mean tjhat you get to control the narrative.

You were shown wrong about Germany not having an army and ignored links to articles about thecauses of wars and misrepresented what atheists have posted right on this forum. It is immpossible to conduct a civil, intelligent and honest discussion when you behave and respind in such a manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 03:43 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
CB2000. Here is the only post that you claimed that arheists state that religion was the cause of wars. A single post by one postrr who posted about some recent wars about religious differences. Bit to you when a single atheists poat something you do not like tjen all atheists are then tarred with the same brush. The post did not even claim that most wars were bevause of religion or that religion was the only cause of war.

Now you are claiming that the discussion is about religion is nit the cause for wars. No that is .the only comments you approce of but that is not the discussion others are having. The discussion is more on religion being one of tje causes for war and just because you do not accept any opinion other than your own does not mean tjhat you get to control the narrative.

You were shown wrong about Germany not having an army and ignored links to articles about thecauses of wars and misrepresented what atheists have posted right on this forum. It is immpossible to conduct a civil, intelligent and honest discussion when you behave and respind in such a manner.
Agreed.

The Wikipedia entry on "Religious Wars" is quite well done and comprehensive with 124 references and a suggested bibliography. I thought the article put the issue into a fair perspective.

Some may not wish to read the whole article, but even the first 3 paragraphs (the introduction) are well written. The charts are excellent, too.

Old 06-10-2022, 04:52 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want, as long as they don't try to impose it on others, whether going door-to-door like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, or starting wars over religious differences. Even recent wars have been based on religious differences, such as the Iran–Iraq War, Bosnian War and the Sudanese Civil War.
true,

but lets take it one step further. Lets try and sort through the noise to see what, if any, beliefs match what we see better?

deity
living system (size is a discussion point)
some thing more
nothing more
i am only here to questions others
I don't have to say anything
I don't care what anybody says if they don't impose their views on thers
aliens

add any others to try and help sort through the noise

What ones, in terms of beliefs make some sense?

Old 06-10-2022, 04:54 PM

Quote:

and you are here to only post how wrong people are when they believe anything you don't like.

Like many others.

so how can a guy like me sort out who is who?

Old 06-10-2022, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
and you are here to only post how wrong people are when they believe anything you don't like.

Like many others.

so how can a guy like me sort out who is who?
Maybe by reading what others post. It is not difficult. Read with an open mind of what they are actually saying.

I dont care if people believe in what I do not like. I think posters should be honest and not twist the words of others to mean something else. If poster states that all atheists or Muslims or Christians are evil I will try to correct them or csll them out. However if they never stated that I do not twist theirvwords to mand sonething else.

For this thread one poster wrote that several.wars were religious wars and another poter basical said that atheists blame religion for wars. What is wrong with pointing out to the second poster that her claim about atheists was not supported in the thread? I think you are incorrect about why I post here. And yet you never seem to have any difficulties in posting your opinions on the forums.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:01 PM

Quote:
true,

but lets take it one step further. Lets try and sort through the noise to see what, if any, beliefs match what we see better?

deity
living system (size is a discussion point)
some thing more
nothing more
i am only here to questions others
I don't have to say anything
I don't care what anybody says if they don't impose their views on thers
aliens

add any others to try and help sort through the noise

What ones, in terms of beliefs make some sense?
Trying to figure out what your post has to do with atheists stopping religion or the causes of wars. I do not think it does.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Trying to figure out what your post has to do with atheists stopping religion or the causes of wars. I do not think it does.
Avoiding the best base line axioms we have can cause of wars. Truth is usually the first casualty of war.

Old 06-11-2022, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Maybe by reading what others post. It is not difficult. Read with an open mind of what they are actually saying.

I dont care if people believe in what I do not like. I think posters should be honest and not twist the words of others to mean something else. If poster states that all atheists or Muslims or Christians are evil I will try to correct them or csll them out. However if they never stated that I do not twist theirvwords to mand sonething else.

For this thread one poster wrote that several.wars were religious wars and another poter basical said that atheists blame religion for wars. What is wrong with pointing out to the second poster that her claim about atheists was not supported in the thread? I think you are incorrect about why I post here. And yet you never seem to have any difficulties in posting your opinions on the forums.
right, I know .... read what we are saying. I see "you don't care ..." You said that bunch over the years. To often religion-ist type people, I call fundy think type, use "open minded" to try and remove the anchor of reason and commonsense.

"twisting", may mean trying to apply my words to myself to see if what is being said matches what we actually see better. I try and apply my logic to myself first.

again, so how do we know. What process can we use to shed light on what is actually happening.

Believing in some thing more is, by far, more reliable than believing the reverse.

"religion" is not the cause of wars ... its that simple. Its the weapon.

theist and atheist are people first. The statement of belief about god is not why people do what they do.

yes, I post my opinion. my opinion is that some atheist avoid actually comparing beliefs claims because they know belief in some thing more makes more sense but feel talking about that makes atheism's attempt to fight religion harder. Yeah, atheism is far strong than that.

Some atheist don't want to admit that if we look at the numbers, anti-religious countries are as bad a religious countries. And anti-religious countries and ideology has killed more than religious ones in just last the 150 years.

In fact, if we look, atheist tend not to step up and stop atheist. Where we see far more theist stepping up to stop other theist (even in their own religion). American civil war is an example. Twenty one million believers went and stopped seven million believers.

Old 06-11-2022, 09:20 AM

Quote:
right, I know .... read what we are saying. I see "you don't care ..." You said that bunch over the years. To often religion-ist type people, I call fundy think type, use "open minded" to try and remove the anchor of reason and commonsense.

"twisting", may mean trying to apply my words to myself to see if what is being said matches what we actually see better. I try and apply my logic to myself first.

again, so how do we know. What process can we use to shed light on what is actually happening.

Believing in some thing more is, by far, more reliable than believing the reverse.

"religion" is not the cause of wars ... its that simple. Its the weapon.

theist and atheist are people first. The statement of belief about god is not why people do what they do.

yes, I post my opinion. my opinion is that some atheist avoid actually comparing beliefs claims because they know belief in some thing more makes more sense but feel talking about that makes atheism's attempt to fight religion harder. Yeah, atheism is far strong than that.

Some atheist don't want to admit that if we look at the numbers, anti-religious countries are as bad a religious countries. And anti-religious countries and ideology has killed more than religious ones in just last the 150 years.

In fact, if we look, atheist tend not to step up and stop atheist. Where we see far more theist stepping up to stop other theist (even in their own religion). American civil war is an example. Twenty one million believers went and stopped seven million believers.
So in short in your opinion religion has never been a cause of war? Never even once?

What is an anti religious country? And do they fight each other?

If you read what I actually posted I never once stated that religiin sas the cause fir war. I did state that it is one of the causes of war. There is a huge difference between the two statements. That is were your twisting takes off. I state it is a cause and yoy claim that I said it a was THE cause for war and go off on all kinds of things relatedto what you claim I said but nothing to do wifh what I actually posted.

I have never once claimed that your civil was was caused by religion. I have in the past said that those in the North were not driven by their religiin to stop slavery.

Old 06-11-2022, 03:23 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
So in short in your opinion religion has never been a cause of war? Never even once?

What is an anti religious country? And do they fight each other?

If you read what I actually posted I never once stated that religiin sas the cause fir war. I did state that it is one of the causes of war. There is a huge difference between the two statements. That is were your twisting takes off. I state it is a cause and yoy claim that I said it a was THE cause for war and go off on all kinds of things relatedto what you claim I said but nothing to do wifh what I actually posted.

I have never once claimed that your civil was was caused by religion. I have in the past said that those in the North were not driven by their religiin to stop slavery.
If a war was caused by religion, what would the result have been if they won? Would they have converted everyone? Killed everyone that was not of the religion? Where and when did this happen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism