Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2022, 01:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
First off, we offer financial help to millions who are not LDS, and with no strings attached. Also, I doubt our "religious myths" are no "sillier" than any other groups' "religious myths" and our actual doctrines (i.e. teachings about God and his relationship to His creation) are fall less "silly" than most of Christianity's.
definitely. Religions, to me, cancel out in terms of a risk vs benefit idea. I mean any organization that gets to big is a problem no matter what. I am not for a world wide religion and more than I am for a world wide company. In most cases that is.

we have atheist that believes in past lives. It is as silly as any belief. The process used to justify said belief is seriously flawed. That's why some people avoid talking about all the data. The only look at half or partial.

Less silly doesn't make it more true. Just like "I don't have to say anything" doesn't make atheism position more true.

Does what your religion says about your god match what we see better than other beliefs seem to. Is the most important thing we need. well, for most atheist. Not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2022, 03:34 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,082,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
First off, we offer financial help to millions who are not LDS, and with no strings attached. Also, I doubt our "religious myths" are no "sillier" than any other groups' "religious myths" and our actual doctrines (i.e. teachings about God and his relationship to His creation) are fall less "silly" than most of Christianity's.
And my late aunt and late cousin were also members By virtue of being in the LDS my cousin was able to get her degree from Brigham Young and had a wonderful career in teaching until breast cancer took her way too early.
I miss her to this day

I have nothing against the LDS Social welfare network, though I know personally of no non-Mormons who have benefited from the LDS charity I will accept that you are being truthful to the "millions" you help with no strings attached.

As for the mythology, I find many to be absurd from my atheist standpoint. Bur some theists may find my lack of faith disturbing.

However, I do not hold Joseph Smith in any level of respect any more than I do the Apostle Paul.

Also, I have mentioned before, I don;t really give an Equine's derriere what a group "believes".' I care more about how they act.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:30 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,943,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
I have nothing against the LDS Social welfare network, though I know personally of no non-Mormons who have benefited from the LDS charity I will accept that you are being truthful to the "millions" you help with no strings attached.
Because of the generosity of others, Humanitarian Services of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, who operates LDS Charities, sends food, clothing, medical supplies, and other emergency relief assistance to bless the lives of those with urgent needs. Last year 155 projects in 50 countries helped people around the globe. People in 175 countries and territories have been helped since 1985.

In recent years Humanitarian Services has responded to hundreds of requests for aid from around the globe. These include:

aid for earthquake and tsunami victims;
emergency aid following tornadoes, hurricanes or typhoons;
help for those impacted by floods and mudslides; and
relief to refugees and other victims of war.

One hundred percent of every dollar donated is used to help those in need without regard to race, religion, or ethnic origin. Source: Humanitarian Relief.

And as an example of the LDS Charities' response to individual non-LDS people in need, a couple of years ago (it was about 6 months prior to Covid's appearance in Utah), a non-LDS man from New York posted in the Utah forum that he was considering a major move from New York to Salt Lake City. He'd saved some money up, but he didn't have a job lined up. Still he was intent on moving here. He was asking the usual questions that such a person might ask on the Salt Lake City forum. To make a long story short, he moved here, had a hard time finding a job and then was robbed. He was panicky when he asked on the forum what he could possibly to do keep from becoming part of Salt Lake's homeless population, as he was just days away from being evicted from his apartment. I suggested that he go over to Temple Square and tell one of the missionaries over there what his situation was. Within a couple of days, he had a new apartment and a job. I spoke to him again via DM about a year ago and he said he was doing great and was very happy in Salt Lake. In order to get this help, he did not have to join the Church or even hear the missionaries out. He just had to show up to work every day and be a good tenant. So, yes, I know my claims are accurate.

Quote:
Also, I have mentioned before, I don't really give an Equine's derriere what a group "believes".' I care more about how they act.
I am 100% with you on that.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want, as long as they don't try to impose it on others, whether going door-to-door like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, or starting wars over religious differences. Even recent wars have been based on religious differences, such as the Iran–Iraq War, Bosnian War and the Sudanese Civil War.

Old 06-08-2022, 08:54 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have no problem with people believing in whatever they want, as long as they don't try to impose it on others, whether going door-to-door like Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses, or starting wars over religious differences. Even recent wars have been based on religious differences, such as the Iran–Iraq War, Bosnian War and the Sudanese Civil War.
How about the US invasion of Iraq? Russian invasion and later US invasion of Afghanistan? What about the European colonization of Asia and Africa and the middle east? what religion was involved? Why is your memory so selective?
All wars are the same - greed and power and profit.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:14 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How about the US invasion of Iraq? Russian invasion and later US invasion of Afghanistan? What about the European colonization of Asia and Africa and the middle east? what religion was involved? Why is your memory so selective?
why do you have to avoid the point when the bad in religion is pointed out?

Quote:
Not all wars. Some wars are about religion.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:38 AM

9,345 posts, read 4,321,501 times
Quote:
So religion did not play a large part in Bosnia? Or in any other conflict? And only greed, power and profit are causes of all wars that have ever occurred. Others have broader issues th an you for wars

https://owlcation.com/social-science...easons-For-War

Howeve r it appears that to you religion c an never be a cause for negative activities and atheism or men for positive avtivities.

And of cours e religion is not the cause for all wars or all negativ e activities nor atheism or men for all positiv e ones. The World is not so clear cut black and white as you make it out to be. Billion s of shades of grey too.

Old 06-08-2022, 10:59 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
No, all wars are not the same. And, at least in many cases, wars are usually ALSO about different principles.

Old 06-08-2022, 02:58 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,791,370 times
Getting back to the OP's question....yeah, sometimes. I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't pondered it a time or two. It's just so irrational, the eternal hell belief makes some live in fear their entire lives. Superiority delusions (god complex) are a problem also. It causes wars, death, destruction, mental, emotional and physical scars, the con list for religion is quite large.

But I understand the need for something to believe in and makes you believe that someone is watching over you, doesn't matter to the religious whether it's rational or logical it's all about blind faith. That's it. Either you have it or you don't. I don't.

The really good things that some religious organizations do count for something I suppose but if I'm being honest, I personally wouldn't mind seeing the radical, violent part of Christianity disappear. Where's all that Jesus love?

Old 06-08-2022, 05:59 PM

19,973 posts, read 13,459,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
Getting back to the OP's question....yeah, sometimes. I'd be a liar if I said I hadn't pondered it a time or two. It's just so irrational, the eternal hell belief makes some live in fear their entire lives. Superiority delusions (god complex) are a problem also. It causes wars, death, destruction, mental, emotional and physical scars, the con list for religion is quite large.

But I understand the need for something to believe in and makes you believe that someone is watching over you, doesn't matter to the religious whether it's rational or logical it's all about blind faith. That's it. Either you have it or you don't. I don't.

The really good things that some religious organizations do count for something I suppose but if I'm being honest, I personally wouldn't mind seeing the radical, violent part of Christianity disappear. Where's all that Jesus love?
In retrospect I sometimes wonder if my religious faith was just a post hoc rationalization for the fact that I just wanted and needed certain things to be true, so I paid attention to anything that reinforced it and shunned anything that didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism