Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2022, 04:55 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Never let the facts get in the way of a good story.
Quote:
The Federal Republic of Germany joined NATO in 1955.
After World War II the responsibility for the security of Germany as a whole rested with the four Allied Powers: the United States, the United Kingdom, France and the Soviet Union. Germany had been without armed forces since the Wehrmacht was dissolved following World War II. When the Federal Republic of Germany was founded in 1949, it was without a military. Germany remained completely demilitarized and any plans for a German military were forbidden by Allied regulations. Some naval mine-sweeping units continued to exist, but they remained unarmed and under Allied control and did not serve as a national defence force.
Did you not read it?
Anyway the discussion was about wars are not caused by religion but for power and greed. There may have been crusades but even the underlying motive was land grab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2022, 05:29 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Did you not read it?
Anyway the discussion was about wars are not caused by religion but for power and greed. There may have been crusades but even the underlying motive was land grab.
But that's not what you said. You said: "You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army". You used present tense.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But that's not what you said. You said: "You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army". You used present tense.
Yes i did. It remains a fact that Germany was not allowed to have an army. Next.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Yes i did. It remains a fact that Germany was not allowed to have an army. Next.
You now try to change in one post what you said. Before you said they cannot have an army. Now you say they could not have an army. One is present tense, the other is past tense. You had your current events wrong. Period.

It appears that the only restrictions on the country at present time (since reunification) is no nuclear, biological, or chemical weapons.

Old 06-09-2022, 11:55 PM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
You have a strange method of comprehension. The fear of losing one’s religion is one of the motivating factors that lets nations take their country to war.
Except you did not say fear of losing one's religion, you said fear of others. You have a strange method of being arrogant and wrong at the same time.

Quote:
It was fear of islam that was used to attack iraq when the real reason was profiteering off of oil and building up the weapon industry.
Correct, but that does not refute, is irrelevant to, my point, nor does it have anything to do with losing one's religion.

Quote:
You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army.
Lol, I did my basic training with this army we allegedly do not have, even though I could have claimed exemption from conscription into this alleged non-existent army.

And you know these anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons we have sending to the Ukraine? They do not belong to the German boy Scout movement.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:06 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Did you not read it?
You have a strange method of comprehension, only reading part of an article.

Quote:
No, several crusades were on religious grounds. And even those that were land grabs used religious belief as a motive.

And then we have wars based on religious differences. And not just wars, people being killed for heresy, or for criticizing certain religions, or for not following religious regulations.

And it is that fundamentalism we are fighting against. Very few atheists want to stop religion, and many of us recognize that is not even possible.

Quote:
Why not just admit you were wrong?

Old 06-10-2022, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Except you did not say fear of losing one's religion, you said fear of others. You have a strange method of being arrogant and wrong at the same time.

Correct, but that does not refute, is irrelevant to, my point, nor does it have anything to do with losing one's religion.

Lol, I did my basic training with this army we allegedly do not have, even though I could have claimed exemption from conscription into this alleged non-existent army.

And you know these anti-tank and anti-aircraft weapons we have sending to the Ukraine? They do not belong to the German boy Scout movement.
Thank you for making me laugh out loud!

Old 06-10-2022, 03:46 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,571,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
A point, buts its irrelevant.

The point is that when we look at the numbers and why, religion is not reason. Its the weapon.

Old 06-10-2022, 05:43 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
You have a strange method of comprehension. The fear of losing one’s religion is one of the motivating factors that lets nations take their country to war. It was fear of islam that was used to attack iraq when the real reason was profiteering off of oil and building up the weapon industry. You may not fully understand all this because you live in Germany which is not even allowed to have an army.
The German Federal Defense Force was established in 1955. So, Germany definitely does have an army.

I'm unclear what relevance this has to whether atheists want to "stop" religion.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The German Federal Defense Force was established in 1955. So, Germany definitely does have an army.

I'm unclear what relevance this has to whether atheists want to "stop" religion.
Well if you read the thread carefully, you would know that one of the everlasting theory that atheists love is how wars are caused by religion. And therefore it is evil.
Apart from Christian crusades that were met with Islamic Crusades, and even those, wars are always fought over territory, land grab, treasure, and labor. Not for religion, although some times religion is used as a guise to get people riled up and ready to go to war and die. Like when Bush called the Iraq war a crusade, he knew exactly how to blow that dog whistle. When the US decided to grab land from the Native Americans in the western expansion, it was not religion, they went for the gold. Civil war was fought for the right to enslave people, not for religion.
When the Moghuls invaded the land that became India, they did not convert everyone to Islam wholesale. They came for the rich resources and wealth, and may be slaves. They stayed for a long time and, region remains as it has always been, a region of multiple religions and faith and free to practice practice them. It was not about religion.
Atheists just like to trot this religion argument out, while willfully ignoring what they full well know, that wars ate for profit, and their religion, Science, has aided and abetted the act of killing people and torturing prisoners of war most efficiently, and also build more and more weapons of war for fun and profit. If they do not actually know that, and I suspect many are not that intuitive, they should either learn the truth or be silent and look smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism