Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2023, 06:45 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayle White View Post
That would seem the best way to get things done. Go to the root instead of trying to convince every leaf on the tree why they are wrong. I think China started out by eliminating the teaching of myths or something similar. Another option for me would be relocation to a country more conducive to my preferences.
Or to a different US state whose politics more conducive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 06:48 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Or to a different US state whose politics more conducive.
I'd like to think we are one nation "with liberty and justice for all".

Old 05-26-2023, 06:48 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Are you comparing yourself, atheists, to the Jews persecuted by the Nazis? Please clarify.
Atheists, Muslims, Jews, other denominations of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, women, homosexuals, liberals, everyone the religious right hate.

That we need to explain this to you is worrying.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You listed all the violations of autonomy you found relevant and even drew the connection to this. At some level you must realize using the government to promote one set of personal beliefs is a violations. One you don't have a problem with so others shouldn't either.
What is this? The Establishment clause?
A violation of what? Non-belief?
Please use more words. I struggle to understand what you mean. I am a very dense reader, i need everything spelled out. Not good at reading minds either.

Old 05-26-2023, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Atheists, Muslims, Jews, other denominations of Christians, Hindus, Buddhists, women, homosexuals, liberals, everyone the religious right hate.

That we need to explain this to you is worrying.
Who is the Religious Right that hate all of the above? What laws have they passed that violates the religious beliefs of the groups mentioned?
As for the others you mention such as women, the hate is not just from the Religious Right.
Maybe it is different in Germany.
Aren’t you done with practicing your English in this forum?

Old 05-26-2023, 07:16 AM

16,768 posts, read 4,974,055 times
Quote:
That would seem the best way to get things done. Go to the root instead of trying to convince every leaf on the tree why they are wrong.
So you agree expressing your opinion freely is a good thing (as CB suggested) while arguing expressing your opinion freely is a bad thing.

Quote:
I think China started out by eliminating the teaching of myths or something similar.
No, Communist China had freedom of religion from the beginning. The cultural revolution, lasting 10 years, happened 17 years later, before freedom of religion was restored.

Quote:
Another option for me would be relocation to a country more conducive to my preferences.
Hypothetically think about doing this. Is that really an option for you? How easy would it be?

Old 05-26-2023, 07:37 AM

412 posts, read 137,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
So you agree expressing your opinion freely is a good thing (as CB suggested) while arguing expressing your opinion freely is a bad thing.

No, Communist China had freedom of religion from the beginning. The cultural revolution, lasting 10 years, happened 17 years later, before freedom of religion was restored.

Hypothetically think about doing this. Is that really an option for you? How easy would it be?
I am not sure where and how you read that I do not want others to express their opinion.

Yes, it is much easier for non-minorities to relocate to countries with a fair to good quality of life. This is because non-minorities have more access to the resources and networks necessary to facilitate a successful move, such as language classes, financial assistance, and job placement services. Furthermore, they are more likely to qualify for visas or other forms of relocation assistance that may not be available to minorities in certain countries.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:24 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
I have no desire to stop people from believing in a higher being or practicing a religion that gives them peace and makes them feel better about dying. Who doesn't think about leaving this beautiful planet for possible non existence for eternity?
It's a terrible thought.

What I do not want is the disrespect that goes along with religious fanatics and the over reach into some one elses life. That is 100% wrong. Everybody just mind your own business.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I am not sure where and how you read that I do not want others to express their opinion.

Yes, it is much easier for non-minorities to relocate to countries with a fair to good quality of life. This is because non-minorities have more access to the resources and networks necessary to facilitate a successful move, such as language classes, financial assistance, and job placement services. Furthermore, they are more likely to qualify for visas or other forms of relocation assistance that may not be available to minorities in certain countries.
Oh that is just made up on the fly. Otherwise known as strawman. It is one of Harry’s favorite device.

Old 05-26-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I have no desire to stop people from believing in a higher being or practicing a religion that gives them peace and makes them feel better about dying. Who doesn't think about leaving this beautiful planet for possible non existence for eternity?
It's a terrible thought.

What I do not want is the disrespect that goes along with religious fanatics and the over reach into some one elses life. That is 100% wrong. Everybody just mind your own business.
Nobody wants that. Who wants that? I want neither religious fanatics (yet to meet one, lucky for me) nor the atheist fanatic (meet them here regularly in the Religion and Spirituality forum. Ironic, no?) to invade my space.
But we dont always get what we want, do we? Everybody had an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism