Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2023, 10:26 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
How is it different from the horrifying things people have done to other people in the name of Nazism? Patriotism? In the name of Westernization? Of crime prevention? In the name of finding chemical weapons? Nazism was not prosecuted in Nuremberg, those individuals who actually did the crime were. To set aside all this history and go back to religion is not ignorance but fundamentalism.
Are you saying that all those regular German people getting swept up in the cult of Nazism, was a bit like the cult of a religion? Yeah, I totally agree.

You made my point for me, on that one. Ideas can be powerful, and can be harmful. The ideas and the Nazi ideology was definitely a crucial and key part of what led to the events of WW2 and the Holocaust. It wasn't just a random group of unconnected individuals all simultaneously deciding to become psycho on their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There is no excuse for murder and torture; it’s not as if religion allows one a ‘get out of jail free card’. You’re either psycho enough to kill someone and/or derive pleasure from harming someone - or you’re not.

At the end of the day, it’s more about political control than religion or atheism i.e. one group knows what’s best for all of us (and wages war on the other). Consider those who bomb churches and mosques in this country. Since you believe religion to be somehow accountable, then you must conclude atheism is as well. We both know that’s ludicrous, but you can’t have it (only) one way to fit your narrative.

Hatred and a lack of acceptance is a two-way street.
Whatever you're saying, it still makes no sense. There's no such thing as harmful ideas? All possible ideas are exactly equal in every way? Really?

You have blinders on, if you can't see that the power of bad ideas enable much of the violence. If you can't see that cults are harmful. If you can't see that harmful beliefs, that people believing in harmful beliefs, that organizing around that belief, can result in otherwise normal people causing harm and violence, you are just totally deluding yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2023, 10:42 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
You have blinders on, if you can't see that the power of bad ideas enable much of the violence. If you can't see that cults are harmful. If you can't see that harmful beliefs, that people believing in harmful beliefs, that organizing around that belief, can result in otherwise normal people causing harm and violence, you are just totally deluding yourself.
You have blinders on if you think there aren’t those on both sides of the fence who do harm in the name of political control and power in this country. Hence the point of the First Amendment. (Btw, I note you completely ignored my comment re: those who bomb churches and mosques.) Again, we indict persons relative to crime - not religion or atheism.

That said, cults do not have the same legal protections if they infringe on the rights of others i.e. some are actually recognized as criminal organizations.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:38 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,257,109 times
Quote:
You have blinders on if you think there aren’t those on both sides of the fence who do harm in the name of political control and power in this country. Hence the point of the First Amendment. (Btw, I note you completely ignored my comment re: those who bomb churches and mosques.) Again, we indict persons relative to crime - not religion or atheism.

That said, cults do not have the same legal protections if they infringe on the rights of others i.e. some are actually recognized as criminal organizations.
I'm not talking about this country. I'm not talking about the US constitution or legal concepts of protected groups, or any of that stuff.

And of course we indict persons for a crime committed, and for not their beliefs. That's completely unrelated to the point I'm making. The point is that beliefs clearly can be involved in people's actions and the reasons they took those actions. Ideas and beliefs can influence a person's actions. Groups and societies organized around those ideas and beliefs, can influence a person's actions. Etc.

Cults, are groups of people who are devoted to their often harmful ideas.

You seem to not understand what I'm saying, about the fundamental relationship between ideas and actions.

Again I have to bring up 9/11. There's no way that goes down like that, without the martyrdom and afterlife belief.

I mean, they shout their religious phrases when they're doing their suicide bombings and such.

Old 04-13-2023, 04:36 AM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about this country. I'm not talking about the US constitution or legal concepts of protected groups, or any of that stuff.

And of course we indict persons for a crime committed, and for not their beliefs. That's completely unrelated to the point I'm making. The point is that beliefs clearly can be involved in people's actions and the reasons they took those actions. Ideas and beliefs can influence a person's actions. Groups and societies organized around those ideas and beliefs, can influence a person's actions. Etc.

You seem to not understand what I'm saying, about the fundamental relationship between ideas and actions.

Again I have to bring up 9/11. There's no way that goes down like that, without the martyrdom and afterlife belief.

I mean, they shout their religious phrases when they're doing their suicide bombings and such.
The They that you are so worried about, Muslims, live in every Democratic secular country and obey the laws. the problem lie with state and geo politics. not with muslims. perhaps you can read books other than by sam harris and get a wider perspective

Old 04-13-2023, 07:52 AM

15,853 posts, read 6,313,875 times
Quote:

Both sides of what?

Cults infringe plenty.

Old 04-13-2023, 07:54 AM

Quote:

I grew up in a cult and completely understand what you are saying.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:01 AM

Quote:
From my perspective, it is what should be discussed relative to the reinforcement of atheists’ rights, particularly in this current climate of far-right conservatism where religion is having a political influence.

Quote:
Al-Qaeda is not protected by the Geneva Convention; it is recognized as a (politically) criminal organization relative to its activities and acts of terrorism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Both sides of what?
Quote:
Cults, are groups of people who are devoted to their often harmful ideas
Quote:
Cults infringe plenty.
Yes - some cult activities are illegal, obviously, as is blowing up churches. Ideas aren’t harmful i.e. they aren’t (even) measurable. It is one’s behavior that is potentially harmful/actionable.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
From my perspective, it is what should be discussed relative to the reinforcement of atheists’ rights, particularly in this current climate of far-right conservatism where religion is having a political influence.

Al-Qaeda is not protected by the Geneva Convention; it is recognized as a (politically) criminal organization relative to its activities and acts of terrorism.

Yes - some cult activities are illegal, obviously, as is blowing up churches. Ideas aren’t harmful i.e. they aren’t (even) measurable. It is one’s behavior that is potentially harmful/actionable.

Calling it atheists rights is a huge mistake. These are human rights if we value autonomy at all, just like sexism isn't a woman's issue or racism is a minority issue. Islam is no different from Christianity in that people have figured out a way to use it to take control of another sentient being and get them to do their bidding. These ideas are like a virus that infects the host. So some people attack the ideas and those who control them and some people are you.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/reli...ited-isis.html

Old 04-13-2023, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Calling it atheists rights is a huge mistake.
Atheists (or any religious group) have rights relative to the First Amendment; hence my continual point in logically upholding such. I’m speaking relative to context, specifically the Establishment Clause and the Free Exercise Clause.

Old 04-13-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Atheists (or any religious group) have rights relative to the First Amendment; hence my continual point in logically upholding such.
Why section people off into groups? I don't think the freedom to believe as you wish without interference from the government is specifically an atheist thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism