Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2023, 12:20 PM

15,952 posts, read 7,015,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Okay fine...we'll combine them and make a blanket statement about all on the right. It's pretty clear on this site that some of our posters are part of that religious right.
So you really have nothing to complain about other than that the religious exist. That is a problem if you live in a free country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2023, 01:01 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I want it out of politics and government. People can practice their faith and there are many rich faith traditions in our country and on our planet. However, freedom of religion doesn't include the freedom to force others to obey a religious tradition they don't hold themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Where do you see this happening?
The Alabama Supreme Court had a monument of the Ten Commandments in their lobby. It required an order from the US Supreme Court to get it removed.

There has been a bill introduced in the Tennessee legislature to make the Bible the official state book of Tennessee.

The Texas legislature passed a law that requires "In God We Trust" to be displayed in every classroom in the state.

Oklahoma passed a law that5 allows adoption agencies to turn away prospective parents on religious grounds.

Although many have been repealed, there are still numerous Sunday closing laws on the books across the country, as well as laws restricting alcohol sales on Sundays.

Are these enough examples to illustrate that religious based laws exist and continue to be passed in the United States, or should I gather up more examples?

Old 05-25-2023, 01:03 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
So you really have nothing to complain about other than that the religious exist. That is a problem if you live in a free country.
After all the posts of mine that you've read after many months, it's just plain dumb of you to say that.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The Alabama Supreme Court had a monument of the Ten Commandments in their lobby. It required an order from the US Supreme Court to get it removed.

There has been a bill introduced in the Tennessee legislature to make the Bible the official state book of Tennessee.

The Texas legislature passed a law that requires "In God We Trust" to be displayed in every classroom in the state.

Oklahoma passed a law that5 allows adoption agencies to turn away prospective parents on religious grounds.

Although many have been repealed, there are still numerous Sunday closing laws on the books across the country, as well as laws restricting alcohol sales on Sundays.

Are these enough examples to illustrate that religious based laws exist and continue to be passed in the United States, or should I gather up more examples?
There are none so blind as those who will not see!

Old 05-25-2023, 01:48 PM

Quote:

We are a Democracy. That is how Democracy works. You are free to protest, express your opinion freely, elect officials who will represent your interests, get laws passed, and get laws repealed. Would you rather live with a system where these options are not available to you? Where you can be jailed and tortured if you protest?
I am happy to live in a free and Democratic state and expand my tolerance. That is me. You do what you think is right for you.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
After all the posts of mine that you've read after many months, it's just plain dumb of you to say that.
Yeah well, dumb people are also free to exist. We need the variety, the spice of life.

Old 05-25-2023, 02:07 PM

16,665 posts, read 15,660,325 times
Quote:
We are a Democracy. That is how Democracy works. You are free to protest, express your opinion freely, elect officials who will represent your interests, get laws passed, and get laws repealed. Would you rather live with a system where these options are not available to you? Where you can be jailed and tortured if you protest?
I am happy to live in a free and Democratic state and expand my tolerance. That is me. You do what you think is right for you.

By any reasonable interpretation, all of those laws violate the Establishment clause of the 1st Amendment and should be declared unconstitutional by the courts. That is so blatantly obvious that it should never require a protest, electing any specific individual, or passing another law.

Last edited by mensaguy; 05-25-2023 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-25-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
When?

Old 05-25-2023, 06:28 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,156,521 times
Quote:
A most excellent point.

If I assisted you in the task of gathering more examples, and we spent several hours a day posting, you and I could probably get all of the examples posted in the next 3 years.

Quote:
We are a Democracy.
No, the evidence suggests that some States function as Theocracies.

Quote:
That is how Democracy works.
Perhaps in a country that does not have a constitution with certain amendments.

In this country, our Constitution and Amendments prohibit the actions you claim are democratic.

Quote:
Would you rather live with a system where these options are not available to you?
I would rather live in a system where legislators do not waste valuable time on stupid stuff.

Quote:
Where you can be jailed and tortured if you protest?
Thanks to Atheists like me, people like me don't get jailed or tortured because we managed to remove religion from the equation.

Your smugness doesn't allow you to understand that if I were to transport you back a few hundred years, you would be the one being jailed or tortured for being of the wrong religion, or being of the right religion but having slightly different views.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
A most excellent point.

If I assisted you in the task of gathering more examples, and we spent several hours a day posting, you and I could probably get all of the examples posted in the next 3 years.

No, the evidence suggests that some States function as Theocracies.

Perhaps in a country that does not have a constitution with certain amendments.

In this country, our Constitution and Amendments prohibit the actions you claim are democratic.

I would rather live in a system where legislators do not waste valuable time on stupid stuff.

Thanks to Atheists like me, people like me don't get jailed or tortured because we managed to remove religion from the equation.

Your smugness doesn't allow you to understand that if I were to transport you back a few hundred years, you would be the one being jailed or tortured for being of the wrong religion, or being of the right religion but having slightly different views.
And you would be burned in a stake or something horrid like that as an atheist if you wish to transport back in time, no?
Other than Madeline O’Hair I know of no other atheist doing anything until 9/11 brought out the rabid hate against Muslims with the help of Sam Harris and his ilk. No thanks for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism