Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2022, 04:09 PM

16,667 posts, read 15,663,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Most laws passed through political process have their origin in religious texts , mostly the Bible in the US.

<<cut>>
Most laws DO NOT have their basis in religion, although there are a few that do.

Let's take a look at the basic religious laws, the Ten Commandments.

1. You shall have no other God's before me. Not reflected in US laws.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images. Not against the law anywhere in the US.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. Clearly protected by the Freedom of Speech in the 1st Amendment.

4. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy. May localities in the US tried to legislate this with Blue Laws, many of which have been repealed, some of which have been successfully challenged in court, and a few still remain.

5. Honor your father and mother. Not a law in the US.

6. Thou shalt not kill. Of course, murder is against the law, but murder is against the law in every society on earth, regardless of whether the society is religious or not, and regardless of the dominant religion.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. At one time, some places in the US had laws against adultery, but most have been either repealed or overturned.

8. Thou shalt not steal. All societies have laws against theft. See #6.

9. Thou shall not bear false witness. It's not against the law to tell a lie. Of course, there are laws against lying in court when you are under oath to tell the truth, but telling lies at a backyard BBQ is not a violation of any laws.

10. You shall not covet. I can't imagine how you would write a law against coveting. Maybe that's why nobody has done so.

Even the seven deadly sins (pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth) are not against the law.

However, I can think of several laws that have no relationship to religion at all. Among those are environmental protection laws, building codes, traffic laws, extortion, conspiracy, embezzlement, and fraud.

Most laws do not have their origins in religious texts.

Old 06-20-2022, 04:19 PM

19,979 posts, read 13,466,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Most laws DO NOT have their basis in religion, although there are a few that do.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images. Not against the law anywhere in the US.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain. Clearly protected by the Freedom of Speech in the 1st Amendment.

4. Remember the Sabbath day and keep it Holy. May localities in the US tried to legislate this with Blue Laws, many of which have been repealed, some of which have been successfully challenged in court, and a few still remain.

6. Thou shalt not kill. Of course, murder is against the law, but murder is against the law in every society on earth, regardless of whether the society is religious or not, and regardless of the dominant religion.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery. At one time, some places in the US had laws against adultery, but most have been either repealed or overturned.

9. Thou shall not bear false witness. It's not against the law to tell a lie. Of course, there are laws against lying in court when you are under oath to tell the truth, but telling lies at a backyard BBQ is not a violation of any laws.

10. You shall not covet. I can't imagine how you would write a law against coveting. Maybe that's why nobody has done so.

Even the seven deadly sins (pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony, and sloth) are not against the law.

However, I can think of several laws that have no relationship to religion at all. Among those are environmental protection laws, building codes, traffic laws, extortion, conspiracy, embezzlement, and fraud.

In addition, US law is with a few minor exceptions based on English Common Law (IIRC state law in Louisiana is based on the French and Spanish systems). Some in the Christian Reconstructionist movement and elsewhere have suggested that US law should be based on Mosaic Law. An odd request given how virulently they react to Muslims who want to have Sharia Law.

Of course, to whatever extent we might base our legal system on Mosaic Law, it would be a tremendously regressive thing to do. The community would get together for example to stone disobedient children or women (though not men) who had committed adultery. Women would be mere chattel without control over their own bodies ... oh, wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 12:05 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Post your rebuttal in response to my post here. There is no fallacy, only lack of logic in atheism.
I am not searching your posts to again point to the fallacies, but you usually straw man atheism or use non sequiturs. But have no fear, I will continue to point them out as you make them.

And as my link shows, there is logic, and you need to refute THAT logic, not simply dismiss it.

Old 06-21-2022, 12:09 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,976,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Atheism does not mean anti religion or anti God. It means without God same as assexual means without sex. I believe the a at the front ofva word like atheist comes from Greek, Harry can correct me if I am wrong.
Yes, it is Greek.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:32 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:

I am going to respond to this by asking you to watch the PBS Frontline show on God in America, a six part series. You can just watch the last one that ends with Obama’s speech about the rich tradition of diversity and freedom of religion in America. It also depicts the deep entanglement of the Evangilists with Republicans first and then with the Democrats. Dont forget how we start every session of Congress with a pledge to the nation and end with God save America. I am not comfortable with that last line but there it is. Who can forget Obama singing Amazing Grace at the church after the shooting? It is how America operates, shaped by religion from the beginning. It is a wonderful complex film that documents it.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:14 AM

Quote:
I am going to respond to this by asking you to watch the PBS Frontline show on God in America, a six part series. You can just watch the last one that ends with Obama’s speech about the rich tradition of diversity and freedom of religion in America. It also depicts the deep entanglement of the Evangilists with Republicans first and then with the Democrats. Dont forget how we start every session of Congress with a pledge to the nation and end with God save America. I am not comfortable with that last line but there it is. Who can forget Obama singing Amazing Grace at the church after the shooting? It is how America operates, shaped by religion from the beginning. It is a wonderful complex film that documents it.
You don't want links or quotes. I don't have time to watch videos.

None of the rest of what you have said responds to my post. I was responding to your claim that our laws ar based on religion. That claims is clearly refuted. Now you are talking about Evangelicals and political parties, the Pledge of Allegiance, and President Obama singing in a church. Back to your assertion that laws are based on religion. Your claim is still soundly refuted.

Old 06-21-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
You don't want links or quotes. I don't have time to watch videos.

None of the rest of what you have said responds to my post. I was responding to your claim that our laws ar based on religion. That claims is clearly refuted. Now you are talking about Evangelicals and political parties, the Pledge of Allegiance, and President Obama singing in a church. Back to your assertion that laws are based on religion. Your claim is still soundly refuted.
You dont havevto do anything. I didnt just provide links, i explained at length what it is about. Our laws are absolutely inspired by religion, our politics are absolutely entangled with religion, and that is where laws come from, politics and people. I cannot summarize a topic that is complex in bits and pieces for you and spoon feed. Some topics do require extensive reading and contemplation. There is no short cuts to education and knowledge.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. Always.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:01 AM

Quote:
You dont havevto do anything. I didnt just provide links, i explained at length what it is about. Our laws are absolutely inspired by religion, our politics are absolutely entangled with religion, and that is where laws come from, politics and people. I cannot summarize a topic that is complex in bits and pieces for you and spoon feed. Some topics do require extensive reading and contemplation. There is no short cuts to education and knowledge.
You are of course entitled to your opinion. Always.
Again, you're talking about several different things in one sentence. I clearly showed you that US laws are not based on religion. Laws that had no use other than to appease the religious are usually repealed or overturned, as has happened with Blue Laws and laws against cohabitation.

I'm not responding to the rest of your comments. They are irrelevant to what I said.

Old 06-21-2022, 06:29 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,159,138 times
Quote:
Can't referring to God be an honorific, a very formal way of beginning or ending an activity, which one of its signification can be that the person has no ulterior motives?

Old 06-21-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Can't referring to God be an honorific, a very formal way of beginning or ending an activity, which one of its signification can be that the person has no ulterior motives?
I don’t know and i am not attributing motives here. My instinctive reaction to it is that the exhortation is nationalism and many do not understand the harm in mixing religion and statehood. May God bless us all, is something i am more comfortable with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism